• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Workflows for Still Image Sequences

I'm making a time-lapse video using a still camera, so I've been running around taking five second exposures of streets on continuous burst mode.

What are your workflows for turning sequences of still shots into video files? There's no way I'm going to put an hour's worth of video frames in place, one by one...

What is the best way using the software I have available? --Final Cut Express and Photoshop?

The way you shoot your timelapse is subjective to the look you want.
You might want to look into buying a cheap intervalometer, though.

The editing process can vary. Are you shooting raw or jpeg?

Anyway, you can use photoshop to correct and grade your one of your images while recording it as an action and then batch process your entire sequence. I use Premiere Pro but Final Cut must have the same option of adding your your still images as numbered files into a timeline.
The still images will then follow the settings of your project. Then add music and export to your desired format.

Fyi, after effects can deal with raw images directly and you can import them straight in there, do all your correcting, grading and effects in there and export.

If the above doesnt make any sense and you dont know about creating actions or how to exactly import numbered stills in your video editing suite, just look it up or ask here. I gave general guidelines for timelapse workflow since i dont know how much you know.

Yer Quicktime is the best way to do it.

You can also do it in FCP (and I'm assuming FCE) by importing all the photos then dragging all the photos onto the timeline. Then all you have to do is select all the photos and alter the duration.

Simples.

Yer Quicktime is the best way to do it.

You can also do it in FCP (and I'm assuming FCE) by importing all the photos then dragging all the photos onto the timeline. Then all you have to do is select all the photos and alter the duration.

Simples.

Oh. Wait, so I can change the duration for each still all at once? Cause that would be awesome...

The way you shoot your timelapse is subjective to the look you want.
You might want to look into buying a cheap intervalometer, though.

The editing process can vary. Are you shooting raw or jpeg?

Anyway, you can use photoshop to correct and grade your one of your images while recording it as an action and then batch process your entire sequence. I use Premiere Pro but Final Cut must have the same option of adding your your still images as numbered files into a timeline.
The still images will then follow the settings of your project. Then add music and export to your desired format.

Fyi, after effects can deal with raw images directly and you can import them straight in there, do all your correcting, grading and effects in there and export.

If the above doesnt make any sense and you dont know about creating actions or how to exactly import numbered stills in your video editing suite, just look it up or ask here. I gave general guidelines for timelapse workflow since i dont know how much you know.

I sure wish I had After Effects. Sigh.

I am familiar with batch processing and using photoshop for color grading etc. Fortunately, that won't be necessary for this shot.

In regard to photoshop, I guess my question is, can it open six hundred or more images at once, and then export each one as a frame of a video? I'm no expert, but I think it can only export GIFs and maybe flash video.

Maybe that would work, but it feels strange to have a cumulative 10 minutes of high-resolution GIF footage.

Back