Witch one, witch one…

Hello all,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Eyal and am currently an active duty member of the United States Air Force. I use Adobe Premiere Pro for editing and I do it for fun, I don’t do it to make money (though one day I may)… I fined grate enjoyment in making short videos and seeing the reaction on people’s faces as they watch them. My question is this; I have about $400 to spend on a camera… I really don’t know much about cameras, I don’t want something too crazy but I’m looking for quality and ease of transfer to my PC. I was thinking to get a mini dvd camcorder but don’t the dvds cost a lot? Tell me what you think, a model number would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
AFMAN10

400 bucks will buy you a low to mid range digi camera. Go to best buys.

If you have a few hundred dollars more or if you could get credit at bestbuys or frys electronic or circuit city, you might be able to get a nice HD camcorder. I think Canon or Sony has one now for around 1500 bucks.

Or even the panasonic PV400 model is now around 1000 bucks. Its a pretty cool camera for the money. has 3CCD

AFMAN10- for $300 or less, you could buy any number of miniDV cameras that will take a decent picture and get you reasonable results. I am not a camera expert, but I get the impression that most cameras in the $300 range are about the same quality. If you want to get a step up from that, you are probably looking in the $600 to $700 range. Then you go into the thousands for the Panasonic DVX or the high-end Canons.

My suggestion for $400 -- got to Best Buy, get a $300 camera, a $50-$60 shotgun microphone, and $40 worth of blank tapes. (Unless you don't have a firewire cable--then get that instead, and fewer tapes). You can have plenty of fun with that setup.

Well, I have a camera now that has a usb cable for it... but the quality sucks after getting it onto my PC (and I have a high end pc). That’s why I was thinking of getting a camera with mini dvd.

so what about the $600 - $700 range? What would you get for that?

Thanks,
-AFMAN10

Back