• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Windows Movie Maker

Hi, I'm originally a screenwriter but lately I've become extremely interested in directing/editing and the rest, so I decided to film some stuff with my cellphone (yes, my cellphone, I don't have a proper dv camera!) and I edited some stuff on Windows Movie Maker.

Now my question, what are the main difference between this program and the more professional ones like Avid and Premier? And are they as simple to use as WMM?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Well wmm comes standard with xp, and is very easy to use, but really doesnt have any features and it doesn't compare to more pro editing programs. the only up sidem i say would be the ease of use, cause my nephew used it, and hes 13!

The main difference?

Well, the basic concept is the same. Arrange audio & video on a timeline and add a few transitions where needed.

WMM just doesn't have the extra bells and whistles that the other NLEs have.

There's nothing wrong with using it, especially if just starting to learn how to edit. It's certainly better to start that way, rather than by purchasing the pricier software then discovering you maybe don't like editing. :lol:

If sticking to making simple stuff, some people may find that they don't need the extra flexibility that the big software progs have.

The problem I have, is that it is not really designed with an editor's mindset. It takes a few days to learn premiere, but once you do, making a simple cut and transition is easy. In Moviemaker, you pick it up right away, but doing a simple thing like cutting and placing a transition becomes an arduous task every time. It's good to learn things like how shots go together, but if you want to REALLY edit, you're better off going to one of the Pro programs.
It took me 15 minutes just to figure out how to export in Moviemaker because it was labelled something ridiculous like "Save your project for playback!"
It makes me feel stupid. That's why I hate it. Too simplistic. That's just my take though. Don't worry though, I'm silly.

Your choices are limited. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. There is supposedly a free NLE for Linux thats pretty good. Free... well I think theres a few NLE's out there just like WMM. But for pro editing, youd be best off to at least get the most inexpensive version of Vegas, Premeire or FCP depending on your system.

That said, many have found success with Ulead Video Studio. This one is very cheap. There is also Avid Xpress (which some like, I never really did), and Pinnacle Liquid Edition. Pinnacle is expensive.

But what you have to ask yourself is... what level am I going to with this? If you want the ability to put 3 clips together and title them, well WMM or its free counterparts may be all you need... CapVHS and VirtualDub to back them up. Or... if you need a bit more pro as I said there is the lesser packages of Vegas, Premeire and Ulead to check out. For pros there is the full Vegas, Premeire, Pinnacle LE to look at. Industry pros use Nitrus and other super high end systems that you'll never be able to afford. Think about how much you are willing to shell out and there will be a package for you.

But my personal suggestion is start with FREE to learn the very basics, even if you only do it for a week. Get a grip on how putting clips together works, adding transitions, and then rendering (ESPECIALLY take some time to learn about codecs and which ones you should use). From there I would suggest downloading a trial copy of each program and finding the one you like the most. But like making a decision on a car, I guarantee there will be some inevitable give/take. Vegas is very intuitive (VERY), but it lacks in a couple of areas. Premiere is very straightforward but has a very steep learning curve. The others all have give/take similar. If you can download a trial before buying, go for it, otherwise, as I said, you have very limited choices in the "free/cheap" range.

and Pinnacle Liquid Edition. Pinnacle is expensive.

and in pinnacle's case...you don't get what you pay for...the software feels cartoony and shotty...like a beefed up home movie editor...yes im talking about liquid edition...

if u can ever spend some money and u want pro stuff that acts pro but is easy to use check out Vegas or Premiere.

please dont use wmm...if you want free video editing thats decent and will break you in to the common layout of pro nle's...check out avid free dv. (avid.com/freedv)

Last edited:
Back