• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Will Hollywood read my Script?

I just finished a 95 page horror script and was wondering where I could send it.

Should I get an agent?

I live in Japan but the screenplay is based in LA I could change the script and base it in Japan but I don’t really have the time to make a movie I rather just write them.

What do you think?

I herd that Hollywood/Hollywood agents will not even look at your script if you don’t have some personal relationship or any contacts so If you don’t live in California they will not even give you the time or day.

What do you think?

I herd that nobody that matters will read my script because lets face it I’m a nobody so I should just make the movie myself, even if I have a really great script Hollywood/Hollywood agents will no even look at it.

If you look at the horror movies today I would say 97% or 99% suck ass compared to back in the days.

Every since Blair Witch came out it seem the Horror industry is going down I’m tired of looking at found footage Hollywood crap about some guy carrying a camera around filming scary shit that’s happening to him for example some ghost is chasing him but he is filming the ghost and he is scared shitless at the same time, I guess he is some guy that will put his life at risk to get this shot, Bullshit this makes me laugh and so mad at the same time who is writing this crap.

Anyhow, is there popular online script reading contest that I can summit to and has these scripts been maid into movies?

Im thinking of entering it in Screamfest has anybody had any experience in this

Agents are looking for a writer who will have a long term career. So
a writer with one script, no matter how good it is, is facing a very real
obstacle. I'm not saying it's impossible to get an agent to represent
your script; I'm saying that unless you can show you think of writing
as a long term career goal it's much more difficult.

And there is, without a doubt, a “local” element to getting a script
produced. An agent who finds an interested producer will want to set
up a meeting. That's very difficult for a writer in Japan. People love to
work with people they know. That's human nature.

An option is to send your well written, marketable horror script to small
prodCo's that are looking for a well written, marketable horror script. If
yours' is considerably better than the “Hollywood crap” out there you
have a real shot at getting it read.

I won't comment on your personal opinion about horror films, but in
the last 14 years the horror industry has seen a resurgence. There have
been some terrific horror films made since 1999.

Its really not my personal opinion its most the people in the horror community true horror fans like myself.

There has ben some good horror films since 1999 but not as many as there us to be and one of the reasons is that everybody wants to make the new trend Horror movie and everybody jumps on the band wagon and makes the same thing because they see an audience, not original at all.

I know there is some people that will not admit that a film sucks and be nice about it just because they are in the industry and they are afraid of saying something wrong, I know they call it Show Business for a reason not Show Art.

My point is Hollywood will keep on making crap because people keep on seeing crap movies.

Stephen King said one of the reasons to become a writer is that you can make better shit that you been reading/watching

Just watch this its exactly what Im talking about, true horror fans

http://goo.gl/Tpb6Yn

Im just repeating what the masters of horror have been saying, check it out

http://goo.gl/qFGM3V

I won't comment on your personal opinion about horror films, but in
the last 14 years the horror industry has seen a resurgence. There have
been some terrific horror films made since 1999.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Its really not my personal opinion its most the people in the horror community true horror fans like myself.
I'm confused. You're saying it's NOT your personal opinion? That you are just
saying the what others in the horror community are saying?

You're confusing the hell out of me.

If you feel horror movies suck, own it. Say so. You don't need to hide behind
other people. You don't need to "prove" your point by what other people say.

This is why I didn't want to comment. I now regret I did. You're asking about
"Hollywood" reading your script and you ignore everything I said about that
to prove to me what you said about horror films is not YOUR opinion but the
opinion of most the people in the horror community.

I know there is some people that will not admit that a film sucks and be nice about it just because they are in the industry and they are afraid of saying something wrong, I know they call it Show Business for a reason not Show Art.
Are you saying that I am not admitting that a film sucks because I am in the
industry? What does this mean?

Directorik's points are 100% valid. You would be wise to listen to him.

My opinion: it is very difficult to get your script read by agents, prodcos etc in Hollywood. Getting an agent/manager is not easy. Spec script sales are low, so agents are very selective as to who they take on. Unless you have industry contacts, your best chance is to do what Directorik advises. Another way 'in' would be to win (or place highly in) a well known screenplay contest such as the Nicholl Fellowship in Screenwriting or Austin Film Festival screenwriting contest.

Also, most first-time screenwriters think their scripts are amazing. In my experience (10+ years) most are the opposite. Many pro screenwriters do not actually sell a script till their third+ screenplay. Some write 10+ screenplays before they get a sale. Why? To screenwrite well takes skill and experience, typically years of experience.

Last edited:
Sorry for the Misunderstanding I don't want to make any enemies

Sincerely

Stewy J

Are you saying that I am not admitting that a film sucks because I am in the
industry? What does this mean?[/QUOTE]

This has nothing to do with making enemies.

I don't understand what you mean. I asked you to tell me so
there would be no misunderstanding. It's just a discussion.

My point is Hollywood will keep on making crap because people keep on seeing crap movies.

I have a friend. There are movies that I think are a complete pile of crap and he loves a good chunk of those movies. The point, just because you think a movie is crap doesn't mean someone else won't be willing to pay for the same movie and enjoy it.

My friend is one of those people who loves B grade horror movies. There are many others like him out there.

Most (from my understanding) B Grade horror movies are made by independents. You can't really blame Hollywood for non-studio made movies right?

Alas, as for your questions about Hollywood reading scripts. Investors tend to look at packages to invest in. A script is a significant, but only a part of a package.

If your only goal is to get people to read your script, that can happen quite easily. If your intention is to get someone to buy and pay for your script, that's a different ballpark. If I were you, I'm not sure you'd want to rely upon such a small subset of people who could possibly read/buy your script.

I wish you luck.

The best way to have a screenplay made into a movie, is to network with others who also enjoy making movies. IndiePaul, Directorik and Sweetie make valid points. But in the end, the pictures that are made are often by writer/directors, that is, writers who direct their own screenplays. The vast majority of studio films are written by writers internal to the Hollywood system.

The script is only a small part of the equation--significant but not the part that pulls in the money. That is where the actor(s) and director come in. A producer wants a script that will interest a big name star or director to be involved. The 'package' that Sweetie mentions is the "the story, the actor(s) and the director". The producer takes that to raise money to make the movie based on the script. The story has to have enough appeal that it will bring in more money than spent.

The part that is often hard to understand for new screenwriters who haven't worked in the industry is that the script is just the bait on the end of a hook. Once the fish are hooked, the script can be changed as needed. Yes, you may have a really awesome 95 page horror. But if the director and producer want something more along what Hollywood is putting out (they're making money after all), your script may be re-purposed to resemble existing horror films--for better or worse.

If you want absolute fidelity to your script, you need to make it yourself. You can pay to get feedback. And often the advice writers receive is how to make it as enticing to producers as possible. Too often writers complain that the feedback takes away some of the creative elements of their stories. Stories that follow existing films that have been successful are often easier to sell/option--"It's like XXX but with the twist that YYY happens. Audiences loved XXX, so they'll love this one." It's cookie cutter logic but it generates revenue. If you're a published author, your chances go up significantly of getting an agent to read your manuscript. Track record is important. It's hard to judge with innovative ideas thus risky. Agents like properties that will make money.

While competitions can raise your reputation, it's not a guarantee that the winning (or placing) script will be made into a movie. I know several instances where award winning scripts are still sitting on shelves. Not all competitions are legitimate.

Whatever the genre, innovation often comes from writer/directors.
Stephen King is a prolific writer and has inspired many writer/directors. If your only intention is to write scripts, you have a lot of competition, many with stronger credentials.

As Sweetie said, getting someone to read a script isn't very hard. For money, you can get a professional critique of your script. Getting it read by someone who will make it into a movie is the challenge. You are much better off trying to work with a producer locally (in Japan). Unless you live in LA and work/have contacts in the entertainment industry, the chances of having it read in Hollywood is very slim. Unless you have credentials and an extreme hook, you're unlike to be read by an agent. The best attraction for an agent/manager is that you're already successful and don't really need them. Admittedly stupid, but often true. For new writers, I strongly urge being actively involved on productions and network. Seriously.

You might want to hold off on your 95 page wonder and lead with another story. New writers hate when I suggest that. I must echo what IndiePaul said that 95% of all first scripts are crap. Please understand, it's not that the stories are bad, but there are myriad technical errors and pacing issues that make the script unshootable without significant revision. And unless you're the director who can get away shooting his/her own script, put it aside and do some more work. Gain some experience with shorts. Then go back and revisit that script with more experienced eyes.

If you only want to write and have no contacts or credentials, you face an uphill battle. The first ten pages will be the only chance you get with some readers and fewer for some. As a reader, I need to feel compelled to read the next five pages. If that stops happening before page 20, the script is dead. You've bored the audience for twenty minutes. It's not about how interesting the story idea. The reader's role is not to tell you how to make it better. When you submit your script, be sure it's your best piece. The mistake most writers make when submitting to an agent is that they expect feedback. Agents don't have the time or luxury. And for legal reasons, they often don't because it suggests they would be interested if changes were made.

Novelists for years have complained about how hard it is to get an agent and have received multiple rejection letters before that "big break". Screenwriting is no different and in many ways is more difficult. If you view screenwriting as "easier than writing novels" and "quick way to get rich", you are deluding yourself. Neither will make you instantly rich and both require a great deal of discipline.

It's better to start off as a big fish in small pond, that is, write and direct locally. Gain some credentials and then try marketing your newer scripts. In the meantime, network with other writers & directors. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'd like to chime in on some thoughts about horror as a genre. What Directorik says about there being a lot of good horror films since the release of 1999's Blair Witch Project is very true, and as a genre it has gone through many ups and downs over the decades so when it's in a slump it doesn't mean it will be that way forever.

As for your situation I'd take advantage of the fact you live in Japan because you can write horror screenplays set in Japan and you're closer to that culture than someone outside of Japan.

If you like films such as Ringu and Ju-On: The Grudge you could write screenplays that incorporate legends of ghosts or other beings that are unique to Japan. You could make this your selling point.

But I'd also take the advice of the other people who have given you advice because it's all constructive and would be beneficial to consider.

FantasySciFi, I agree with what you say, and I'm actually already following two of your advises before you have even said them:
1) - To put aside the story you love and keep it until you get more experience.
2) - To direct or be involved in production.

I've read biographies of many famous directors/writers/producers. They were involved in a lot of movies. They needed to raise so many projects to break in. Well, slow but careful pace is a good and safe approach. I'll be glad to move slowly and carefully, even if it would take me 500 years...

Oh, crap, I forgot! I don't have 500 years! Life is too short, and time is running. It doesn't care that you age up. It won't wait for you to break in. Days just go by, so quickly. So I may sound amateurish but... Yes! I wanna make it faster! Life is too short!

Oh, crap, I forgot! I don't have 500 years! Life is too short, and time is running. It doesn't care that you age up. It won't wait for you to break in. Days just go by, so quickly. So I may sound amateurish but... Yes! I wanna make it faster! Life is too short!
Not amateurish but ambitious. That is NOT a bad thing. You're doing what you need to do, getting out there and make people notice you ... the ones who really count--producers, directors. It's the armchair writers who think their 'one and only magical script' will bring them 'wealth beyond imagining' that have the problem. The more energy you put into the process, the quicker your success can come. And often from unexpected sources. Keep at it and something will happen. In this business, people invest in others who show drive!

Doesn't have Japan a strong 'J-horror-scene'?

When a friend of mine showed me 2 shots from (I believe) Ringu (but I'm not sure): those where the most disturbing shot I've ever seen and that was even without context!

If you can write and make it locally and it is really scary as hell: it may become easier to be read in Hollywood :)

Last edited:
'wealth beyond imagining'

Wealth? Money is important, no doubt, but if you tell me I'm gonna live in a suburb and travel to job by bus, but have Christopher Nolan or Steven Spielberg working as my advisors, helping me make the movie I want to make... hell yeah! I agree! :)

So, I consider being able to supervise and be on a creative position as the most important thing.

Back