Will Film Ever Die

I was reading my magazine today (MovieMaker) and a thought just popped into my head. I pondered about it for a little while but then it slipped my mind. The thought was "Is Film Obsolete". With the new advancements in technology everything seems to be replaced. This has been a pattern since history started, when something new comes along the old is thrown away and not to be bothered with. What about film? I've been reading about Red Epics and the new Blackmagic camera and how they can emulate the look of film. Film is not something you can really emulate. What I mean by that is that film is an illusion to put it in the Words of Quentin Tarantino. What a film camera does is take pictures and when those pictures run at 24fps it gives off movement. With cameras like the Red Epic you just simply press the red button and record. Theres nothing like watching a real 35mm print on a white sheet.

I'm sure there will always be directors and studios who prefer film and can afford it. But I do see a lot more people using digital in the future.

"Is Film Obsolete". With the new advancements in technology everything seems to be replaced. This has been a pattern since history started, when something new comes along the old is thrown away and not to be bothered with. What about film?

Film's fading fast, sure. Fuji gave notice not too long ago (source), which might be a short-term gain for Kodak but the writing's been on the wall for a long time.

I've been reading about Red Epics and the new Blackmagic camera and how they can emulate the look of film. Film is not something you can really emulate. What I mean by that is that film is an illusion to put it in the Words of Quentin Tarantino.

While what your Tarantino paraphrase is true (film is an illusion), I don't think he's talking about the film vs. digital divide. All filmmaking is an illusion. Even cinema verité.

smiley_bunnyquote.gif
Film
smiley_bunnyquote.gif
is about telling a story. Not the medium the story's captured on.

With cameras like the Red Epic you just simply press the red button and record.

Yup, that's exactly how great films get made.
smiley_jerk.gif

Theres nothing like watching a real 35mm print on a white sheet.

That would be pretty cool. Closest to sheet-projection I can claim is S8 :blush:

Back