Wide Lens on Canon 814 XL - S

Hello I need some advice on using a wide angle lens with my Canon 814 XL -S. When I Purchased the camera it came with a c- 8 wide lens. I wanted to try the lens out so I bought a step up ring. Now the problem is that when the lens is screwed on I cannot get any image in focus. Only when the camera is in its macro setting can I get a clear image witch is a problem because now zooming is impossible. Any thoughts or help on this would be greatly appreciated. Also I have one more newbie question which is this. When shooting with the wide angle lens will this actually give me a wider aspect ratio?

Thanks in advance.

It won't give you a wider aspect ratio, just wider angle. Similar to walkingnthe camera farther away from the subject, though up close a wide angle can give a cool look different than a telephoto farther away.

Not sure why it won't focus, but if you have to use a step up ring then it may be pushing the adapter farther out messing with the focal length. Though, the entire point of a wide angle adapter is to get the image, well, wider. If you need to zoom for a tighter shot, just take the wide angle adapter off.

Back