Why movie tickets should be cheaper?!

We get very few small independent movies shown at our theatres anyway, so...

Kind of chicken or the egg scenario isn't it? They cannot compete with the blockbusters since they're the same price, so the independent tickets don't sell, so they don't show independent films anymore.

You seem to be looking at it from the point of view of an indie filmmaker. 'I want more people to see my film, but if they have to choose between it and Skyfall, of course they're going to see Skyfall - let's lower the ticket price to entice them'

Also keep in mind that people tend to associate price with quality. That's why you have brand names that can charge 4x as much as unknowns for the same product.

I think if you lowered the price of independent movies drastically, less people would see them because they would associate a low cost with a low quality of movie, it would essentially devalue a movie before someone even has the chance to see it.

Not to mention that the cinemas would have no incentive to do so anyway, as they'd get less than a dollar out of a $4 movie ticket, and quite probably no more people through, or perhaps only a few more people through.
From a business perspective it makes no sense.

I think you hit the nail on the head but came to a different conclusion than I would. People do associate quality and price and that is the reason that brand names can charge 4x the price, hence the reason why the independents, who don't have brand awareness or the cash to form that awareness need to have the CHOICE to set their price point.

With the current state of cinemas, there is no real incentive to go outside the flagpole releases, especially with the marketing costs being so high. In my opinion, a film maker/distributor needs to be able to differentiate using price points. This might take some of the pressure away from the need to have multimillion dollar marketing budgets for any movie to be a box office success and open up more imagination to filmmaking instead of the cookie cutter stories that continually pump from Hollywood. (Not that I'm against those movies, in fact I quite like them, but I see the value in having a wider range of movies to see).

Put word of mouth into the equation and it might make more sense. A great movie like "The Usual Suspects" may have enjoyed more success if it had a option of a different price point.

Take a look at John Carter. A $250 million movie which I really felt dirty about paying $20 to go see that movie. I recommended that my friends not see that movie as it just wasn't worth paying $20 to watch. I wouldn't have felt that way and may have referred friends if it was being shown for $5-$7. Some movies just aren't worth full price. Where movies can shine is having the ability to charge less and over deliver, thus a good possibility of gaining word of mouth exposure.

Then again, I also think that cinemas need to pay attention to their own marketing more.

Last edited:
I think if you lowered the price of independent movies drastically, less people would see them because they would associate a low cost with a low quality of movie, it would essentially devalue a movie before someone even has the chance to see it.

Wow, that's so cynical! And I thought I was bad! :lol:

That argument assumes that most people are idiots -- which might well be a reasonable assumption. But the scaling of ticket prices works just fine for other forms of entertainment. Earlier, I gave the example of live music performance. You might go to a club and pay a $10 cover to see a small band on tour, and you might enjoy the music immensely or not at all. But, either way, if the cover had been $50, far fewer would've paid it. However, if the band was U2, a $50 cover would be a steal! They'd pack the house!

Maybe some people would look at the $10 and say, "Pfft. How good can the band be if they're only charging ten bucks? Forget it." But I don't think that happens too much. More often, a person reasons that the band is not a big, international rock legend, so the lower ticket price is not only perfectly justified, but expected. Doesn't mean the music is going to suck, especially if you've heard positive reviews from others.

I keep telling myself I'm going to stop defending my theory, since few seem to agree with me. But I'm just stubborn, I guess. :rolleyes:

Wow, that's so cynical! And I thought I was bad! :lol:
I do my best :D

You might go to a club and pay a $10 cover to see a small band on tour, and you might enjoy the music immensely or not at all. But, either way, if the cover had been $50, far fewer would've paid it. However, if the band was U2, a $50 cover would be a steal! They'd pack the house!
There is a big difference, however, between the live music scene and the cinema scene. Firstly, with music you have the added benefit of radio play to be able to judge how well your band is doing in a certain area, and price accordingly. With a movie, you're really just putting out trailers and hoping people watch them, like them, and are enticed enough to go see the movie.

There's quite a few differences with music: at U2 you're paying because you're a big fan of U2 already and they may only tour your area once every couple of years if that. Now, you could say some major Directors are similar, but with a large band you're not only paying to see the band themselves, part of what you're paying for is the larger and better venue, the bigger and better soudn system and operation, the amazing light and pyrotechnics show. Do you then design scaleable movie theatres? Where the $4 movies are shown in the average theatres, and the expensive ones shown in the large theatres with the biggest screens and the best sound? If so, then why should your indie film suffer a smaller screen, and mediocre sound simply because it's an indie film? Or do you say that you'll price based on production value? When you pay $10 to see a band at the local pub, the music itself might be good, but the lighting and sound aren't always great and certainly aren't on par with a U2 arena concert. So then - price based on production value..? I personally think if you price based on production value, you force everyone out of the $4 movies because once they realise that they're average, or that at least the production values are mediocre, then they'll stop watching them.

Plus, part of the reason you can have tickets cheap at a pub is the drinks the band's meant to sell... I don't know of too many cinemas that have bars in them..

I keep telling myself I'm going to stop defending my theory, since few seem to agree with me. But I'm just stubborn, I guess. :rolleyes:

:lol: better than accepting defeat ;)

There is a big difference, however, between the live music scene and the cinema scene. Firstly, with music you have the added benefit of radio play to be able to judge how well your band is doing in a certain area, and price accordingly. With a movie, you're really just putting out trailers and hoping people watch them, like them, and are enticed enough to go see the movie.

Again, I beg to differ. What have been the biggest movies of late?

The Avengers: Well known characters with broad, established appeal and a whole slew of previous movies leading up to it.

Prometheus: Well-established, successful franchise, with the original director returning to the helm, who also happens to be (arguably) the second most well-known director of tent pole films in the world (after Spielberg).

The Dark Knight Rises: A combination of both of the above. Long-established and popular character, enormously successful franchise, helmed by a highly-respected writer/director.

Skyfall: Perhaps the most successful franchise in the world, and certainly the most enduring, with a very broad appeal and, recently, an elevated pedigree.

and, presumably,

The Hobbit: Adapted from one of the most popular novels of all time, prequel to one of the most popular and respected trilogies - in both film and novel form - of all time, helmed by the original director, who has earned global respect and accolades, not to mention a couple of Academy Awards.

Each of those movies, unless someone fucked up royally, was bound to succeed. Hell, I saw - or will see - each of them in a theater and would've paid whatever was required in order to do so. There was no confusion, they were pre-sold. Audiences would have gone, no matter what. The marketing just made sure everyone knew when and where to show up. They are U2.

There's quite a few differences with music: at U2 you're paying because you're a big fan of U2 already and they may only tour your area once every couple of years if that. Now, you could say some major Directors are similar, but with a large band you're not only paying to see the band themselves, part of what you're paying for is the larger and better venue, the bigger and better soudn system and operation, the amazing light and pyrotechnics show.

Again, I disagree that there is any difference. As stated above, people attend those big movies because they are already fans of either the franchise, the genre, the source material, the filmmakers, or a combination of those.

And the "amazing light and pyrotechnics show" could not be more accurate in describing those films, and are a huge part of why people enjoy them!

Do you then design scaleable movie theatres? Where the $4 movies are shown in the average theatres, and the expensive ones shown in the large theatres with the biggest screens and the best sound? If so, then why should your indie film suffer a smaller screen, and mediocre sound simply because it's an indie film?

There are a couple of issues to address here.

First, as I stated in an earlier post, in my tiny town of 10,000 we have an octoplex. It includes auditoriums of varying sizes. Some seat a couple hundred people, while others only accommodate a few dozen. The big movies, like those listed above, already command the larger venues - understandably - while the smaller films are relegated to the smaller screens, so that particular distinction already exists.

However, those smaller auditoriums have the same quality of projection and sound as the larger ones do, they just seat fewer people. The screen is smaller, yes, but the audience sits closer to it, so the experience works out to be the same. Judging from your earlier post, your situation in Australia may be quite different, but in America it's fairly typical.

Second, you're using the term "indie" films, which I tend to apply to ultra low-budget movies like those I produce. I'm not necessarily talking about them. I'm talking about films like The Paperboy, which features big-name performers - Matthew McConaughey, Nicole Kidman, John Cusack, Scott Glenn - and an Oscar-nominated director. From what I've read about it, that movie appeals greatly to me, but not enough to spend $15 to see it on the big screen instead of Prometheus. I would gladly have paid $4, though, in order to see it in one of the smaller theaters.

Or do you say that you'll price based on production value? When you pay $10 to see a band at the local pub, the music itself might be good, but the lighting and sound aren't always great and certainly aren't on par with a U2 arena concert. So then - price based on production value..? I personally think if you price based on production value, you force everyone out of the $4 movies because once they realise that they're average, or that at least the production values are mediocre, then they'll stop watching them.

I think I pretty much addressed this above, so I won't repeat myself. But I will say that the term "production values" is vague. What do you consider to be "production value" in a film you go see? Huge special effects? Big stars? Great cinematography?

I haven't seen The Paperboy yet, but I'd be willing to bet that, despite its low budget, the production values are pretty decent. No big special effects, presumably, but I'll take a good story over that any day.

Plus, part of the reason you can have tickets cheap at a pub is the drinks the band's meant to sell... I don't know of too many cinemas that have bars in them.

We have them in the U.S.A. There's one in my town. It's sweet! NO KIDS!!! :yes:

Plus, part of the reason you can have tickets cheap at a pub is the drinks the band's meant to sell... I don't know of too many cinemas that have bars in them..

Where I am, all of them have.... Candy Bars... where they sell popcorn, drinks and candy. It's where Cinemas make their money, just like pubs selling drinks.... If you think about it, you really just worked it out in favor of this. Plus our Gold Class (18yro+) style cinemas have a bar too.

So then - price based on production value..? I personally think if you price based on production value, you force everyone out of the $4 movies because once they realise that they're average, or that at least the production values are mediocre, then they'll stop watching them.

or just have Cinemas not show those movies as they don't already.

How many people do you think would be happy to pay full price for mediocre?

For instance, there was a local independent movie got a movie into a cinema and were promoting the hell out of it. They then wondered why only a handful of people (I think it was 5 or 6) were willing to support them at the price tag of $30. I wasn't available to go, but even if I were, the $30 price tag was too steep for me to even consider going to support them when the likely outcome was mediocre. I didn't know a lot about the movie and I would have liked to support them, but at that price I lost my enthusiasm. It may be different for you.

First, as I stated in an earlier post, in my tiny town of 10,000 we have an octoplex. It includes auditoriums of varying sizes. Some seat a couple hundred people, while others only accommodate a few dozen. The big movies, like those listed above, already command the larger venues - understandably - while the smaller films are relegated to the smaller screens, so that particular distinction already exists.

However, those smaller auditoriums have the same quality of projection and sound as the larger ones do, they just seat fewer people. The screen is smaller, yes, but the audience sits closer to it, so the experience works out to be the same. Judging from your earlier post, your situation in Australia may be quite different, but in America it's fairly typical.

Here where I am, there is a wide difference in the quality of cinemas varying from great to just horrible. Most are towards the higher end, but there are cinemas that I won't return to due to their poor design.

I haven't seen a cinema that small to only hold a few dozen. I think it opens up opportunities for smaller independent films if these existed in more places than I'm aware of.

Here where I am, there is a wide difference in the quality of cinemas varying from great to just horrible. Most are towards the higher end, but there are cinemas that I won't return to due to their poor design.
There is variation among cinemas here as well, but they are usually separate businesses. I was talking about differences and similarities between auditoriums within a single multiplex. Most Americans attend multiplex theaters.

I haven't seen a cinema that small to only hold a few dozen.
Just a stab in the dark, but I imagine Brisbane has a slightly larger population than Astoria's 10,000. :D

Just a stab in the dark, but I imagine Brisbane has a slightly larger population than Astoria's 10,000.

Just a tad. I haven't looked at population numbers in a fair few years, but I'd expect it to be in the 1 to 1.5mil range depending on whether you take it as Inner Brisbane or Greater Brisbane.

Back