Why have you chosen the path of the filmmaker?

I'm curious to know what made you, that's right you, want to become a filmmaker.

Perhaps it was an epiphany of sorts - one day you find yourself watching a film and it occurs to you that you too could make movie magic.

Was it a more mundane decision, or something you just fell into?

What film(s) were the centrepoint of your filmmaking career? What inspired you?

And, lastly but not least and certainly the most important, why do you want to make films? Is it for profit or something deeper, something better.

I was 13 when I saw Fellowship of the Ring in the cinema and I knew from that moment on I had to make films even if it meant nothing more than a consumer camera and friends. I want to make films to make more films, to serve my own addiction.

Of course you don't have to answer but let's be real for a moment, who doesn't enjoy talking about themselves ;)

As I grew older I became more aware of the names of those involved with creating the films I loved and remembered faces of actors in various roles across multiple films. I became a film buff and I logically thought that since I loved movies so much I should do something related to film. My first inclination was to become an actor, I acted in a number of theatre productions but became more interested in filmmaking and that's when I put myself on this path.

I'm a filmmaker that wants to create stories that are entertaining, have a message of some kind, certain themes to communicate to the audience. I'm interested in dual and hidden narratives, stories that are psychologically based and make the audience think about the story long after they have experienced it.

i was applying to be a child nursery assistant with a company, for young people to gain experience, when i got there they placed me onto a film media course instead, i found that creatively i was more advanced than other people and my boss said i had something.

after finishing the job, i went onto to be a IT technician (boring, dumb people, hate offices) but money was good and bought myself the 600D from there iv been honing my skills and rising up slowly, i wrote my first short film which amazingly got a bit of attention, now iv made a few music videos, finally got my web series started.

this was all in a year btw.

for me theres a fire in my belly when it comes to filming, i want to be different, i want to be the best, the most important thing is i want people to say good job.

I constantly think about film and how i can improve what i did last time, i want to test new methods everytime, i want to experience different emotions, i want people to like the wrong guy, i want peolpe to be confused, i dont really care for critics but i care for what they mean.

i dislike any work i do because it can always be better, for me that will drive on for years and help me become worldwide known (il die trying) if the day comes when i look at something iv made and i say this is a work of art with no flaws then i will stop making films, as i will not try to top perfection, you just cant.

as a note i actually hated films before then, they bored me to death... weird how that happens..

I always loved amusement parks and attractions. But I've always loved music and really all forms of art. I wanted to create a roller coaster, but through art. I began to get into haunted houses. You know, those walk through attractions were people walk through and get the living hell scared out of them. I loved those. I really got into that, but I wanted something temporary. Something people could watch but still get the same reactions. I began to watch movies for inspiration. I watched heavy SFX filled horror films. I grew fond of special effects. I eventually began to read about and study the work of Tom Savini. Watched all of the films he has worked on, and read everything he has written. Somewhere he had written that in Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, that editing, sound, and many other elements are what sold the effect. That's when I realized that I'd like to be the people that oversaw all of that. Over a few months, I began to make TERRIBLE short films. HORRIBLE. I was expecting to be an Oscar winner my first time around. I was throwing around blood and prop heads I made from latex and all sorts of things. I began to get more into science fiction, which led to all others genres and I began to steer away from horror and explore other genres. I really liked the work of Lynch and other surrealist artists. I'd make storyboards, pictures, and scripts (how I thought scripts were written) all day. I eventually got more active, and now I have a Youtube channel up posting short films. A majority of my work is horror, but I want to explore other genres. I have a feeling I'll be doing more comedies and dramas, but I'll always have melancholy undertones to all of my work because of my roots. I want to create unpredictable roller coasters and unique rides that shake people up, surprise, and shock people. There ya' go.

Well when I was growing up, I spent half of my time at my sisters gymnastic competitions. And when I was there I always wanted to be the one to record her, I would try different zoom techniques and stuff to get the best video. In first grade my friend and I used to make our own little TV show that we did for like 12 episodes. It was never really my friends idea to record but I was always telling him we should make another one. Every time my family and I go on vacation I always have to be getting video then I would edit it later to make a decent product. When I play video games I always want to start recording again(I used to have a gaming channel). Filmmaking just seems to be something that never escapes my mind even when I try to forget about it. I'm young so Its not like I couldn't change the path, but I can't see how I could manage to get off of it.

When I was 11 years old my father bought me an "iPod." It turned out to be some cheap Chinese MP4 player that came in iPod packaging, at first I was disappointed but I couldn't complain. One feature it had that iPods didn't at the time was a camera, at the time my father didn't realize I'd turn into a madman. One day my cousin just filmed me joking around with my brother and his sister, a really pointless video. Then a few months later I was listening to music on my MP4 player and then looked to see if I had any videos, I saw the video we made and I laughed so hard. Then it hit me, "I should put this on YouTube, and we can start making more videos!"

Spring turned into summer and I made videos everyday. I made a variety of videos, all HORRIBLE. After a while I tried out Windows Movie Maker to start editing, I edited a lot but like an amateur (with all those fancy transitions and filters). By the end of the summer I had made over 50 videos, I'd even started experimenting with machinima. Later that year when I was 12, out of curiosity I picked up a biography on Steven Spielberg and read it. Then it hit me, "Hey! This guy has been doing what I'm doing but getting paid for it! Maybe I can do that too." I actually didn't know anything about movies (I hadn't even watched one Spielberg film!), for the most part I disliked films. But then I started reading about films, and I started my journey of film watching too. I made videos less frequently but was more concerned with quality (and yet... my videos still sucked!).

Less than a year later I moved to the Dominican Republic and nobody was around to help me make films. I focused on getting used to a new country instead of making videos, somehow this helped me train even more because a year later I learned to properly edit and make different videos. I got better (though I still think I suck) and then I moved back to the States after three years there.

I didn't really become a cinephile until last year though when I was 16, because I found film to be the most uninteresting of the arts until my Filmmaking teacher introduced me to classic cinema, "silent" cinema, foreign cinema, and all of the deeper treasures you couldn't usually find in a multiplex. Then I moved to the Dominican Republic again and started working. Unfortunately I've only made one experimental film (along with several videos) since I started really loving film. I've been so busy with college applications and schoolwork that I haven't been able to make films. Fortunately, I've taken my winter break to write scripts and make storyboards so I can start making a film as soon as I get back to school!

Always loved films and creativity, but thought making them was an unrealistic pipe dream. Then one of my friends won an academy award for directing and it really inspired me and showed me that it's not an unattainable goal

I always loved telling stories, and have always enjoyed random things in life that are aestheticly pleasing; I then wanted to contribute to this in my own way, but in a way that captured the beauty of good angles/lighting and whatnot

I also love seeing people getting entertained by something I created.

a few interesting replies here.

For me,
I just wanna see what I am capable of before I am 6' under (not very interesting, but this is a fair enough summary of a long speech, haha)

---
Regards
Michael Bergner
http://www.the-invited.net

Signatures are only allowed by Premiere Members. If you are not Premiere, do not try to add a signature to your post by adding it at the end of your message.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=4567

careful

For me? I've always loved music and films. If I had to pick particular influences, I usually go with these:
Legend by Tangerine Dream (still one of my favorite scores)
Susperia by Goblin
Danny Elfman (complete works, but Edward Scissorhands is when it really grabbed me)
Star Wars/Indiana Jones by John Williams (what kid in my generation didn't have that music in their blood?)
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves by Michael Kamen (the first album I bought with my own money and it was a score album)

Life has taken weird twists and turns and I've done lots of music, but it had only occurred to me relatively recently that maybe I could actually do that myself. One step at a time, I'm getting there....

thanks ^^ I took care of it
sigpic31576_1.gif
I cannot even read that font.

But that's kind of bizarre that no signatures are allowed. I could see something like no BB code or graphics, but not being able to sign something? Odd.

But their boards, their rules I guess.

Back