• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

location-sound Why Does Handbrake Install Demand Download .NET 6.0 Runtime?

Hi. At https://odysee.com/@OdyseeHelp:b/up...43954c71add50b3fd2d6a9f3ddba979b459da6ae4a1f4 you can see the Odysee video platform team recommends using Handbrake to encode video.

I downloaded Handbrake but then during install I get a “Download .NET 6.0 Runtime” activating a web browser to open at https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/6.0/runtime?cid=getdotnetcore apparently for the download.

Why is this happening? Should I do it? Is it a spam risk? Seems odd the Odysee team didn’t mention downloading that too. I can’t seem to use Handbrake unless I “Download .NET 6.0 Runtime.”

Thank you.

. NET runtime is a standard bit of system infrastructure that is referenced by thousands of programs. It was likely already installed on your computer as a previous version. Sometimes a new version of a program will reference an updated function call, and ask to download a new .NET version. It's typically nothing to worry about. If you are worried about it, simply download the .NET update from a highly trusted source, such as Microsoft.

In addition, I'd point out that Handbrake itself is very trustworthy software, and has a long track record of ethical behavior. I can't speak to this exact update, but it makes little sense to imagine that this well established company would have any interest in ruining that hard earned reputation by installing any type of malware on your system.

I also recommend Handbrake as a go to encoding platform. It's probably the best general use software out there for this purpose.

Last edited:
. NET runtime is a standard bit of system infrastructure that is referenced by thousands of programs. It was likely already installed on your computer as a previous version. Sometimes a new version of a program will reference an updated function call, and ask to download a new .NET version. It's typically nothing to worry about. If you are worried about it, simply download the .NET update from a highly trusted source, such as Microsoft.

In addition, I'd point out that Handbrake itself is very trustworthy software, and has a long track record of ethical behavior. I can't speak to this exact update, but it makes little sense to imagine that this well established company would have any interest in ruining that hard earned reputation by installing any type of malware on your system.

I also recommend Handbrake as a go to encoding platform. It's probably the best general use software out there for this purpose.
Thank you NN. I really do appreciate your feedback. Nate for you.

You're welcome. Lol, I had the same response the first time a program tried to make me install .NET years ago. I just didn't know what it was, and was suspicious of any program that was trying to install itself on my computer.

Back