Why do a lot of people still have software shipped instead of downloading?

I don't know if it's a lot of people but fellow filmmaking newbies in my city seem to prefer having it shipped which or course adds up to extra shipping fees, so I'm wondering why not just save money, download it, and make a copy to your own disks for cheaper? Not really a filmmaking question, I am just curious.

I imagine it has to do with the feeling of having a product in-hand... all nice and pretty-like. :)

Downloading the software and burning it to CD/DVD is pretty much the same, minus the packaging. ...but there's just something to getting the actual package/product from the company.

The best deal is when you get both a download (so you can get started with the software right away) and the physical product.

That said, lately I find myself doing more of the download-only option. Especially for smaller plugins and the like.

But when it comes to music, I still insist on getting the CD vs. downloading the tracks from iTunes or Amazon, etc. ;)

I can think of several reasons:

1) Slow download speeds or bandwidth caps.

2) The desire to own a physical product: a box to keep it in, an owner's manual you can hold in your hand, your warranty/customer service info all in one place, the ability to re-install without having to re-download the file.

3) Burning a program to a CD/DVD is not as easy as it sounds. You can thank pirates for that.

That's true. When it comes to music and movies I prefer to buy the package, but if it's just software you are using I find it makes minimal difference. You can still print off a copy of the warranty and instructions though, can't you?

I was using my friends Adobe Creative Suite 5.5. Package, but I want one of my own to work on, since I don't have to keep going over to her place to use it.

I was thinking of doing the download option, since I have a lot of free time off in the new few weeks, that will give me a lot of time to get my film done. Shipping would take longer and would have less time to work on it around my other jobs after. I could see about doing the download now, but get the physical product after option, but my friend can get me a discount if I download now. Like $500 knocked off since she is a student. I am not sure if I could get both till the Adobe Company gets back to me.

Last edited:
Tell me about it.. I hate it when you CANT download it. I WANT IT NOW!
Recent example:

I downloaded the FULL FEATURE trial of Cubase 6. Worked perfect etc. Ready to buy the RETAIL product. Heck, my time limited trial still valid for 20 more days.. I should have been able to just "make it retail" and not even need to download it again.. but NO.. I have to ORDER the PHYSICAL box etc etc..

Well, turns out this was a good thing. .I got a FREE MIDI mixer controller from Musicians Friend for doing so. Bonus! Still, had I been able to just convert the license to retail, steinberg could have increased the margin a bit on that sale..

Back