Why are cops such drama queens in movies?

If you watch movies like End of Watch or The Departed, they are such drama queens to the point or it just seems unrealistic. In The Departed for example, the guy who was setting up cameras in a sting operation did not put a camera in a crucial spot, on such short notice.

The cops couldn't see anything and couldn't make the case. The captain got so mad that he beat up the camera guy in front of the other officers. Now in a real job you could very well be fired, if not convicted on charges, so why would a law enforcing person even do that?

End of Watch is about cops documenting their jobs and are shooting it with cameras. One cop they shoot tells another at a crime scene, that "one day the LAPD is going to bend you over your black and white, and they are going to *beep* you up the ass. They are going to *beep* you so long, and so hard, you are going to want to eat your gun just to make it stop".

Now I have taken a tour of the police station for filmmaking research and I have watched several episodes of COPS, and other COPS like shows. I have never seen anyone talk like that or beat each other up, or any of that kind of drama. Sane people, who are trusted not to be pulled off the force, and forced to go to therapy, do not behave like that in their daily normal lives. I work at a grocery store in my day job, and the cops in reality shows are just as calm and just as peaceful, as anyone in my job, unless it's an extreme danger situation of course.

So why are movies written where cops have to be such drama queens in order for us to find it entertaining? Personally I just find to be forced and unbelievable, unless I am wrong?

There are many reasons. There are corrupt and damaged cops out there, especially in rougher areas, but the main reason is because...

Dysfunction = entertainment
Drama = entertainment
Conflict = entertainment

I understand, reality is boring. But can they at least make the behavior convincing, within a non-boring plot?

Last edited:
Well basically it's drama queen behavior all the way through, before anything really dramatic actually happens. Perhaps have them behave like normal calm non-violent people, then when something really dangerous happens, like a cop's wife/husband being killed or something, then have him/her blow his/her top, rather than have it be everyday life for the character. Cause then when they do blow their tops, it becomes more natural and suspenseful, and less forced. Character development rather than constant over-acting.

Last edited:
Blue Code of Silence.

I doubt it's much of a stretch. And it seems to me that one of Scorsese's running themes is that all the different groups, however sanctified they supposedly are, are really gangs themselves, including the cops. That's certainly the case in Gangs of New York. And it seems to be the case in The Departed as well, to some degree.

How can it be unbelievable when we're all too aware of what bullies cops can be? Sounds like police brutality goes on all the time. We've all seen the videos. And that's probably just the small amount that happens to get captured on video and then leaked or released. And given the abuse we know cops at least sometimes perpetrate on those they police, no, I don't find it beyond possibility that a captain would beat on a subordinate.

It is not at all unbelievable that cops can be drama queens or do bad things.

And even if that weren't true, like Alcove said...

How can it be unbelievable when we're all too aware of what bullies cops can be? Sounds like police brutality goes on all the time. We've all seen the videos.

:yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzpFheEY6ss

I'm totally biased, but I'm appalled that you are critiquing The Departed right now. I wouldn't change a thing about that movie.

I have watched several episodes of COPS

:lol:

Do you really think touring a police station and watching how officers behave on tv with a camera in their face is going to give you an accurate picture of what life is really like for a police officer??

And besides, the hot-headed, flying-off-the-handle cop is only a staple character in certain types of films. There are plenty of movies where cops are more subdued/'realistic'; look at Kevin Bacon in "Mystic River", or the Australian films "Noise" or "Lantana" or Jake Gylenhall (sp) in "Prisoners" just to name some off the top of my head.

...reality is boring. But can they at least make the behavior convincing, within a non-boring plot?

So you want boring characters in an unrealistic story, is that it? :hmm:

Back