Who's on APP.NET?

After a huge launch and a lot of publicity (before go live) it seemed to have really fizzled out. app.net keeps on looking for a new business model. 140 vs 256 characters in your text is not an innovation, would you not say?

Strangely I was always wanting to see something come out of it, just hated the undeserved elitism they used to try and get people on board.

Aside from the odd "promoted" tweet, I can't say I've noticed anything in the way of advertising on Twitter. :huh:

Not counting the actual participants, of course... 'cos that's the sole purpose of being on Twitter & FB anyway; the self-promotion (or advertising, if you will) of themselves by every active person on it.

Aside from the odd "promoted" tweet, I can't say I've noticed anything in the way of advertising on Twitter. :huh:

Not counting the actual participants, of course... 'cos that's the sole purpose of being on Twitter & FB anyway; the self-promotion (or advertising, if you will) of themselves by every active person on it.

Luckily, I use Tweetbot on both my Macs and iPhones that autoblock Twitter's ads. Using Twitter's own client has the occasional "promoted tweet" as they phrase it (It's an Ad).

Zero ads in App.net (ADN) forever. Plus, in their TOS, they don't own what you post. It's YOURS. Twitter's TOS claims your post is (according to their website here):

By submitting, posting or displaying Content on or through the Services, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display and distribute such Content in any and all media or distribution methods (now known or later developed).

Not cool. That sounds like to me that they can sell it and make as much money as they want from it without paying you a penny. Sick.

Plus, I forgot to mention that I use the NetBot app on my iPhone my ADN account. It allows me to crosspost to Twitter and to import my Twitter followers to ADN automatically. Very sweet.

Every day, two or three of my own followers are joining ADN. It seems like this one is actually going somewhere.

Back