Who needs millions to make a flick?

Hi all, I am a new member of this forum and just joined today. I'm in the process of making a dark thriller but i'm not sure what enough money is for a small flick. But when i went to the film festival in my home-town in Flint Michigan, this movie called Limbo by Thomas Ikimi really caught my eye. It was very deep and talked of the status of morality in a place where there are no consequences for actions.

But what really baffled me was when i went to visit the site, i saw the movie was made for $9,000. I was shocked they were able to make something look so good and for so little. It just goes to show, lots of cash does not equal a quality film.

ha! it's true. We made 'Left For Dead' for under $15k in cash. And within that film we had fight scenes of over 30 people, a 50 bike motorbike chase

It's all about getting the right creative people, having the kit (Left For Dead was shot on 2 DV cameras - one owned, one rented, edite don an Imac using Imovie and Final Cut) and being able to get people to do the sound and grading to make the film look a million $ more than it cost.

Mark Lester (director of Commando) thought that Left For Dead was shot for $750k and shot on Super16mm.

Perception I guess is the key.

Phil Hobden
edit: Ad removed. Please stop advertising your film in every post.

wow. Is your film out for rental or to buy? cuz i wud rly want to see it. But you should also check out this limbo film as well. $9k is REALLY stretching it.

Yeah you can rent it from blockbuster.com or buy (both region 1) from Amazon.com or deepdiscountdvd.com (for between $10-14).

It's far from perfect but it's a bloody good indication of what you can do with little money and a hell of a lot of talk, blag and luck!

Phil Hobden

Reference said:
It just goes to show, lots of cash does not equal a quality film.
I couldn't agree more.

With a lot of work on lighting and sound, a good script, good actors and post production on avalable software, a quality movie can be made for almost no money at all.

I made my film for $8000 (www.thecoatroom.com) Of course, having been to festivals and posting on this board and others I realize now that $7000-$15000 is the standard these days for no-budget indie films.

I wish some of the bigger fests, like Sundance, Cannes, Berlin, Toronto etc. had a special category for films made under $20000 with NO NAME actors. That would give many talented filmmakers a chance to get major exposure.

I agree. there needs to be more peopel who cover this kinda film!

The only thing we can do is sumbit to smaller festivals which still get you the leafs on the poster if you win. Which is nice!

Phil Hobden

yeah, there should be a section for films under like $20k or something. Oh yeah Duchamp78, i like the line in ur trailer 'i hate eyeballs and the way they look at me.' ha

Im on this Limbo site now, and just watched some clips and can't believe this thing is under 9k. You guys have to see this stuff.

I couldn't agree more.

With a lot of work on lighting and sound, a good script, good actors and post production on avalable software, a quality movie can be made for almost no money at all.

The only money that I spent on my first short was for food - About $100. The DV tape will get re-used, so that does not count :)

CootDog said:
Just wondering how much money has the film made from that investment. Did it turn a profit?

Yes. We have sold to Indonisia, USA, Canada,Puerto Rico, Thialand, Croatia and Greece. With a UK, Australia and a few others due once we pay back what we owe we should see a healthy profit, part of which has already funded an interim film called 'Ten Dead Men'

Phil Hobden

I think that the less money you have, the more creative and resourceful you are forced to be and thus, this then makes produce a better flick.

Indeed look at all the bloated $100 million USD Hollywood crap. There are some great Indie films coming out from the UK over the next year or so.. all sell funded and all indie.

Soul Searcher (Dir Neil Oseman)
The Silencer (Dir Steve Lawson/Simon Wyndham)
Tough Justice...

And many more!

Phil Hobden

mr. modern life, i was jut wondering, how can a first time director like me, that makes a real low budget flick, get a good distributor. I mean, do you have a list of good distributors that i cud consider?

Limbo

I had to be negative, but if the deferrments, and freebies are added in, I dont think the budget would really be considered. $9000. Elly

Tell me more about the film and I MAY be able to help... best best PM or email me!

Phil Hobden

Back