Who has a GH1???

Ok I was wondering who has a GH1 hacked or not? Im getting one by the end of this week and i had a cupple questions for people who have one.

First ..... Which hack/patch do you use on it? (test footage?)

Second.... What kind of sd card do you use?

Third.... How much memory does shooting video and pictures take up? (ex: 4gb= ___ minutes/ photos)

Im sure ill think of other questions to ask in the future! :rofl:

Ok I was wondering who has a GH1 hacked or not? Im getting one by the end of this week and i had a cupple questions for people who have one.

First ..... Which hack/patch do you use on it? (test footage?)
At the moment I'm using the lpowell 100Mbps Max Latitude patch, with a couple customizations of my own. I may opt for something a bit more stable after taking some more test footage though. At really high bitrates, my camera is locking up or having card write errors. Locked down filming grass with a 28mm lens, I can get 7 seconds of MJPEG footage before my camera completely locks up, requiring the battery to be removed to reboot. I can get around 30 seconds of the same image in AVCHD before I get a card speed error. I've heard that it's not actually the cards that are too slow, though, that it's the buffer in the camera instead. Not sure if that's true.

Second.... What kind of sd card do you use?
At the moment I'm using 16GB Transcend Class 10 cards (which run about $26 on Amazon). I think the write speed is either 16MBytes/s (not Mbits) or 20MBytes/s. At some point I'm going to get a SanDisk Extreme card (around $46 on Amazon) and see what difference it makes.

Third.... How much memory does shooting video and pictures take up? (ex: 4gb= ___ minutes/ photos)
This varies greatly depending on what you're shooting. When I took video of fireworks the other night, in AVCHD mode, I only used about 600MB for 26 minutes of continuous video. But dark footage like that has much lower bitrates than something with more going on. I think under normal circumstances, with a hacked GH1, a 16GB card will get you somewhere around 30-45 minutes of video. I've heard arguments in favor of using nothing larger than a 16GB card, so that way if your card fails, you've only lost ~30 minutes of footage, rather than hours like you might with a 32 or 64GB card.

Thank you verry much!

At the moment I'm using the lpowell 100Mbps Max Latitude patch, with a couple customizations of my own. I may opt for something a bit more stable after taking some more test footage though. At really high bitrates, my camera is locking up or having card write errors. Locked down filming grass with a 28mm lens, I can get 7 seconds of MJPEG footage before my camera completely locks up, requiring the battery to be removed to reboot. I can get around 30 seconds of the same image in AVCHD before I get a card speed error. I've heard that it's not actually the cards that are too slow, though, that it's the buffer in the camera instead. Not sure if that's true.

I read alot about this happening to hacked Gh1's so i had my doubt but then i heard if you hack at a lower bitrate like 50 it runs alot smoother... im not sure if its true because i dont have one yet lol but have you tried a lower bit rate?

Thank you verry much!

I read alot about this happening to hacked Gh1's so i had my doubt but then i heard if you hack at a lower bitrate like 50 it runs alot smoother... im not sure if its true because i dont have one yet lol but have you tried a lower bit rate?

I haven't bothered yet. It's only happening with footage that really pushes the bandwidth (like grass), so it isn't really a practical problem. If the weather would cooperate, I plan to go get more test footage this week/weekend.

I haven't bothered yet. It's only happening with footage that really pushes the bandwidth (like grass), so it isn't really a practical problem. If the weather would cooperate, I plan to go get more test footage this week/weekend.

alright i think when i hack ill do 50 bitrate just because i dont want to have to deal with crashing :lol: also does lower bitrate use less memorY?

I've found that the prices have gone up since they were discontinued. Amazon has them for around $480. I got one of the last $399 ones from B&H (they were discontinued there literally like 3 days after I got mine). They're selling out quick from what I can tell, so I'd grab one while you still can.

I've found that the prices have gone up since they were discontinued. Amazon has them for around $480. I got one of the last $399 ones from B&H (they were discontinued there literally like 3 days after I got mine). They're selling out quick from what I can tell, so I'd grab one while you still can.

Yeah im tryna get one as soon as i can...im just waiting for the person who i sold my camera to, to receive it. I dont want to take the chances of somthing happening and them im out all of this money lol

=( been watching a GH1 on ebay for quite some time now with 10 seconds left i bid 425 and i got outbidd =(( grrrrrrrrrr i see tons of them selling used for 450 now prices are going up like crazy i might just buy a used one...

Grrr cant find a gh1 under 450 and i wont have the money to get one untill thursday.....somthing tells me they are going to be in the upper 500s by then haha ive been watching the priceses go up pretty fast since they were discontinued!

now lets seee my setup sofar.......I ended up getting

8gb sandisk extreme class 10 - $15
panasonic lumix Gh1- $420
Canon fd 50mm 1.8 - $ 30
Fd to M 4/3 adapter- $ 23
+ shipping

All came out to $495 so far I think i did pretty good!

Thanks man! Im hopeing everything will be hear by saturday? but will probly not be till mid next week ( adapters comming from china) lol! But i will be doing lots of filming when i final get it!.....now to come up with a new name for production company! :lol:

Back