Who do celebrities do this?

I wanted to ask this because I thought maybe someone here might know the answer. Why is it that actors and/or celebrities that are well known in the film/TV world don't respond to tweets by fans? Now, granted, some actors and actresses and celebrities do but usually the ones that do are the ones who are not as well known - the ones that aren't as well known, they interact with their fans on Twitter and Facebook and they're so nice to fans but then you have actors and celebrities like the ones that play on TV shows and in films and they will not respond to anything fans tweet them or to fans on Facebook but yet they go to horror conventions and when they're PAID to do so, they interact with fans there and talk about how much they love their fans and that the fans are who makes their careers what it is but yet they completely ignore fans on Twitter and on Facebook. So someone clue me in as to why that is? And before someone says that for some actors and actresses and celebrities, their agents update their social media sites, let me just say, that's not always true because some celebrities write their own tweets - yet they never respond to fan tweets - and if they do, it's very specific people they respond to or it's EVERY once in a while. So what's up with this?

Have you seen what people tweet or write about these individuals on their own wall or twitter account? Some of the stuff people write is very troubling and downright a form of harrassment. It's sad really. Not every fan is like that; however they have to be extremely careful in how they respond and who they respond to. Additionally, most of these celebrities get so many messages per day...

Have you seen what people tweet or write about these individuals on their own wall or twitter account? Some of the stuff people write is very troubling and downright a form of harrassment. It's sad really. Not every fan is like that; however they have to be extremely careful in how they respond and who they respond to. Additionally, most of these celebrities get so many messages per day...

True but I've seen certain people tweet an actor like right now and fifteen seconds later, that actor responds to the tweet or retweets the tweet but then myself or my friends turn around and fifteen minutes later tweets that actor a decent question about the show or film they're on or about their film career and our tweets get ignored and a lot of other actors do the same thing. I just don't get it, then some actors and/or celebrities don't respond to fan tweets period - at all.....

Generally no good comes out of those interactions, but a lot of bad can.
Besides these people have lives to lead and there are a ton of people more relevant to their lives vying for their attention.

As you said, B-List and lower level celebrities occasionally respond, but can you imagine how many tweets - and communications from all sorts of other media - come to a major celebrity (even a B-Lister) every day?

People assume that being a celebrity is easy. Trust me, having spent over half a dozen years playing to and with celebrities they have to put up with a lot of crap. Fans are nice, but they can become a real PITA. I was in a fairly well-known (actually, rather notorious) band in the early/mid-1980s. Being noticed when shopping, or going out to eat, or to the movies was nice the first couple of times. Then it rapidly became a very time-consuming interruption to my free time. And that's not even 1% of what a huge celebrity has to deal with on a daily basis.

As you said, B-List and lower level celebrities occasionally respond, but can you imagine how many tweets - and communications from all sorts of other media - come to a major celebrity (even a B-Lister) every day?

People assume that being a celebrity is easy. Trust me, having spent over half a dozen years playing to and with celebrities they have to put up with a lot of crap. Fans are nice, but they can become a real PITA. I was in a fairly well-known (actually, rather notorious) band in the early/mid-1980s. Being noticed when shopping, or going out to eat, or to the movies was nice the first couple of times. Then it rapidly became a very time-consuming interruption to my free time. And that's not even 1% of what a huge celebrity has to deal with on a daily basis.

Alright and I understand that but what I don't understand is what makes them respond to some fans but not others???

Maybe they actually know them? Or perhaps they have an assistant who tweets, etc. for them.

None of us here are mind readers, or are that high up in the celebrity structure. Why don't you ask the celebrity you're so interested in?

And that's not even 1% of what a huge celebrity has to deal with on a daily basis.

Now imagine the lives of washed-up celebrities that just get made fun of!

I'm curious as to what your old band was, Alcove. I'm not sure if you've posted it on IT or not

Alright and I understand that but what I don't understand is what makes them respond to some fans but not others???

They just happened to see that message at the right time and felt like responding, since they have a free minute or two and can type out something small to a fan.

I'm curious as to what your old band was, Alcove.

The one I'm referring to was called LovLace; and yes, it was named after Linda Lovelace. They had been around for quite a while when I joined them in 1982. We played primarily NY Metro, but journeyed around the northeast quite a bit. It was run like a business. We played about 275 gigs a year, mostly medium to large clubs. We had several regular weekly gigs. Wednesdays we got to set up early afternoons and rehearse. Thursday, since we had to be set up by 8pm but didn't start until 10pm we had a business meeting - what gigs were planned, paychecks, what songs we would learn for next rehearsal. Just for fun, I learned about 200 songs a year, on top of the 80 I had to learn when I joined the band. And Bingo (the owner/singer) could call any song at any time, so you had to keep up with your repertoire. Oh, and we had to go over the calendar for holidays, since, "With LovLace, Every Day Is A Party!" We had an actual holiday for every gig we played, like Girl Scout Day; "Find a girl scout and check out her cookies." Some were a stretch, like Buddha Day or World Rat Day.

And some "just for fun" stuff for the writers out there.

We played every Monday night at a Howard Johnsons just off of I-95 in Stamford, CT. I know that sounds like a crappy gig, but it was the most fun of the whole week. Everyone who worked weekends - bartenders & servers, cops & firemen, doctors & nurses, and LOTS of musicians - showed up for their Friday/Saturday night. I rarely had to play more than half the night we had so many guest sit-ins, everything from solo artists to entire bands, with not a few talented amateurs. According to state and local law bars must cease serving alcohol by 1am. That particular HoJos would serve soda, coffee and the like afterwards, and we'd play until 1:30 or so. One night some mid-western bible thumper took offense at "all the noise and carrying on after hours." He told the manager, Glen, that he would call the police. Glen said, "Don't bother. The Chief of Police is sitting right over there, with the Deputy Fire Chief and two members of the city council. You can speak with them in person." Game. Set. Match.

any stuff online I could listen to?

It was a cover/copy band; we approached everything "tribute" style, trying to emulate a record or live performance perfectly (kinda tough for a 4-piece on some things) - although we did have a few quirky adaptations. Whatever was climbing the charts was next weeks rehearsal list.

I had literally hundreds of hours of tapes and a few dozen hours of video, all of which was lost in my studio flood of 2007 (almost $100k in total damage). I also lost my 52nd Street (Billy Joel Tribute), Paul Chris & Crisis and Del Vikings tapes/videos plus several other bands going all the way back to high school (I graduated in 1976) and almost all of my solo work. In addition, I lost over 1,000 LPs and almost 800 sci-fi books, plus lots of other personal memorabilia.

So, no, nothing you can see/hear.

Oh man, that sucks Alcove. Sorry to hear. Do you still play in any bands?

As for celebrities not responding to fans, check out 'celebrities reading mean tweets' on youtube and you'll probably see why a lot of them don't bother.

Perhaps the lesser-knowns do because a) they have more time for that sort of thing b) it means more to them to have fans compliment them because they are lesser-known.

When I was just a youngin' I was obsessed with Jurassic Park (ah hell I still am) and I wrote handwritten letters to Speilberg, Sam Neil and Laura Dern (aka Dr Grant and Dr Sattler). I got a reply from Speilberg and Neil's assistants saying they were glad I liked their movie and which included a 'signed' photocopied photo, which for a 5 year old was pretty cool.

Laura Dern never replied, and I assumed it was personal. I was dirty about it for years, though I am slowly learning to forgive her. :P

Last edited:
It was a cover/copy band; we approached everything "tribute" style, trying to emulate a record or live performance perfectly (kinda tough for a 4-piece on some things) - although we did have a few quirky adaptations. Whatever was climbing the charts was next weeks rehearsal list.

I had literally hundreds of hours of tapes and a few dozen hours of video, all of which was lost in my studio flood of 2007 (almost $100k in total damage). I also lost my 52nd Street (Billy Joel Tribute), Paul Chris & Crisis and Del Vikings tapes/videos plus several other bands going all the way back to high school (I graduated in 1976) and almost all of my solo work. In addition, I lost over 1,000 LPs and almost 800 sci-fi books, plus lots of other personal memorabilia.

So, no, nothing you can see/hear.

Damn, man.... is that why you stayed behind when Hurricane Sandy hit? Trying to protect your studio from the same thing?

Do you still play in any bands?

No. I retired from performing due to arthritis. If my hands hadn't stiffened up I would still be out there, because I really, really loved it, and, immodest as it may sound, I was pretty damned good at it.

Damn, man.... is that why you stayed behind when Hurricane Sandy hit? Trying to protect your studio from the same thing?

Yup. When I rebuilt I made sure that everything was easy to quickly disassemble, all my "other stuff" (cables, mics, batteries, and so forth) is in cases, crates and the like. If I really had to I could empty the studio of everything important in about 10 to 15 minutes, to the bare walls in about six hours. With Sandy and other storms I've had more warning; it takes a solid 12 hours to carefully pack everything and neatly stack it all around the house. The Foley props and furniture have to take their chances. After that's done about 40 sandbags and a couple of tarps try to prevent water from entering the basement.

I got REALLY lucky with Superstorm Sandy. At high tide (I'm about 1.5 miles from Long Island Sound) the Byram River was only inches from pouring into my neighborhood. If there had been any substantial rain I would have been flooded out again.

Since 2007 I've emptied the studio 4 times. As much of a PITA as it is, it does provide an opportunity for a mega-cleaning, reorganization, etc. (Hey, I'm looking for the silver linings...:D)

Some of my visually coolest stuff that I've down with software I don't have any examples of either. I know how you feel to some degree.

Back