• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Which Camera

My knowledge of Camera's is very limited. I'm making my new Short Film in the coming months, and currently organising Crew. The DoP I have on board, has his old Canon 550d. My friend has offered to lend his Camera, which is a Panasonic AG-DVX100BE...Which is better? Or would I be better renting a Camera of better quality than the two mentioned? If so, what would you recommend?
thanks

Apples and oranges, but both are good cameras. The 550D is a DSLR camera whereas the Panasonic is a video camera. Both produce very nice images but they're also a few years old. Check out footage of both cameras on YouTube or Vimeo (there is plenty out there) to see if either produces the look you want; if not, then you may consider rental.

Don't rent unless what you're shooting requires better. Use what you have access to if possible.

Renting isn't that expensive, and I've got my quotes for everything, including Insurance, and it works out under my budget, thankfully....But yes, your right...The Canon I've seen previously work by my DoP on it, but there's been upgrades, so im guessing the quality must be that bit sharper...so if I can afford it, and DoP is happy to use it, think ill be best renting

Renting isn't that expensive

It's a never ending hole. Do you rent car when you're shooting because it's not that expensive to rent a car instead of using your own car? There's always a better car you can rent, so you might as well, right?

If you're asking the question of "what camera should I use" you're lacking in experience on set. You'll be better off spending the cash on props, wardrobe, set design, better locations, a dolly/crane/drone, more lights, an extra wireless, better crew or even hiring extras. Hell, keep the excess money for your next shoot or keep it as a contingency in case something goes wrong. I suspect it'd be better spent on buying a case of beer for the wrap party.

There's always upgrades. There's an upgrade every second week. Don't get suckered into thinking you need more and more gear if what you have is more than sufficient.... or you don't know if you actually need better to get the job done.

Focus on telling the best story you can. Don't get bogged down in worrying about incremental differences in equipment.

It's a never ending hole. Do you rent car when you're shooting because it's not that expensive to rent a car instead of using your own car? There's always a better car you can rent, so you might as well, right?

If you're asking the question of "what camera should I use" you're lacking in experience on set. You'll be better off spending the cash on props, wardrobe, set design, better locations, a dolly/crane/drone, more lights, an extra wireless, better crew or even hiring extras. Hell, keep the excess money for your next shoot or keep it as a contingency in case something goes wrong. I suspect it'd be better spent on buying a case of beer for the wrap party.

There's always upgrades. There's an upgrade every second week. Don't get suckered into thinking you need more and more gear if what you have is more than sufficient.... or you don't know if you actually need better to get the job done.

Focus on telling the best story you can. Don't get bogged down in worrying about incremental differences in equipment.

haha case of beer would be wisely spent...I was looking at camera rental, and the amount of different upgrades / makes etc is more than expected...I had such a bad experience with my first DoP (on my first shot), it has made me twice as cautious to ensure the equipment were using is right...my DoP though, is very good, so I consult with him...think I could benefit from a camera course

but there's been upgrades, so im guessing the quality must be that bit sharper
I mean this in the nicest way possible: you should entirely leave this decision up to your DoP.

If you need 4K, you'll need to rent a camera. If you don't know if you need 4K, then you don't need it. The 550 camera shoots in 1080P and you will not find another 1080P camera that shoots in any "sharper" quality. I could go into dynamic range, ISO, and other features but these are things your DoP already knows and can steer your decision as it relates to this project (which we know nothing about).

Choosing the right DP is key, isn't it? A guy with a great, top of the line
camera may not do as good a job as a guy with an older Panasonic DVX.
As you know it isn't the camera as much as it is the talent of the person
using the camera.

Of the two you mention I would go with the Canon. Rent a better lighting
and grip kit.

Back