Which Camera Should I Buy?

Haha, remember when we used to get this question multiple times daily?

Seriously, though, I'm in the market. I think it'll be a few months before I purchase, but I'm starting to consider the options.

I'm going for dirt-cheap. I don't plan to use this camera for anything "serious", for lack of a better word. Basically, it's gonna be primarily used for a vlog.

Just so you know the standards I'm willing to accept, the only reason I'm in the market for a camera is because my Samsung Galaxy S7 was recently stolen. That's a smartphone. I was happy with a smartphone.

I've since replaced the phone for, you know, phone purposes. But the phone I've replaced it with has the shittiest camera.

I'm not ruling anything out. I even spent a little while tonight looking into traditional consumer camcorders, something by Sony or Canon in the $300 price-range. Nah, fuck that, I'd much prefer a used t3i or gh4. But maybe I'd be willing to consider a relatively-low-priced prosumer camcorder?

I'm tempted by the Blackmagic pocket. Have been for a while now.

I'm fairly familiar with all the technical specs and what not. I'm mostly just interested in hearing personal experiences and likes/dislikes.

Last thing -- though this isn't super-important, I'm kinda bummed that I no longer have the ability to shoot hd at 240fps. I'm sure the bit-rate was low, but still, it's pretty sweet. Anybody know of any low-cost cameras that shoot at such high frame-rates? Slo-mo is fun, and once you've had 240fps, 60 just won't cut it.

I'd be tempted to get a GoPro if I were you. A lot of vloggers use them and you already, if I remember rightly, have a Zoom H4N to record sound. And, unlike a lot of the other classic vlogging cameras – thing like Canon G7X – it has a utility outside vlogging, and might help with some of your doc projects in the future.

20131209201617-google_etch_a_sketch.png

+

kidscd20-01.jpg

= Winning combo.

Get yourself a Sony RX100. Nice big juicy sensor (for a compact 1" is massive!). And its compact size means you'll vblog more often with it.

Get it cheap secondhand, but the model with the flip up screen so you can do selfies. (There has been five models now)

Otherwise get a mirrorless with a flip up/out screen you can use. Panasonic G6 is a very fine FHD one that is dirt cheap. Or the Sony a5100 (but it overheats...). I own both of these by the way.

Since this thread is three months old, you've probably already figured out what you want. But, since it's been dredged back up...

Just so you know the standards I'm willing to accept, the only reason I'm in the market for a camera is because my Samsung Galaxy S7 was recently stolen. That's a smartphone. I was happy with a smartphone.

Last thing -- though this isn't super-important, I'm kinda bummed that I no longer have the ability to shoot hd at 240fps. I'm sure the bit-rate was low, but still, it's pretty sweet. Anybody know of any low-cost cameras that shoot at such high frame-rates? Slo-mo is fun, and once you've had 240fps, 60 just won't cut it.

You might consider an iPod Touch (64GB). It's basically an iPhone 6 without the phone. Add the Filmic Pro app and you'll be in great shape.

Oh, and get an iXpand so you can transfer your video files without iTunes, and can move them to PC with ease if that's your editing platform.

And if you want to improve your audio game, you can use an iRig Pro to cnnect any XLR mic... and it supplies phantom power.

You could check these three as my best choice for a 4k camcoders: Panasonic HC-VX870, the Sony FDR-AXP33 and the Canon XC10. They could capture in ultra high definition. However, you've mentioned above a Blackmagic Pocket Camera, I 've read good reviews that this camera lets you use the most incredible range of lenses and it brings full sized quality in a miniature sized package.

Last edited:
Back