Which camera, part II

So, i've decided to not be a cheap wad, and save up more cash. Im thinking of trying to save up for one of the following four cameras...
Panasonic AG-DVC30
Sony DSR-PDX10
Panasonic AG-DVC60
Sony DCR-VX2100

I've read into them, i'm even considering the dvx-100a but was curious as to what some of you may think that's used them.

I've searched the forums, and didnt find too much info on them, as far as what actuall users thought of them. Each one seems to have its pro's and con's, but I want to see what you indie-filmers think.

I'm also open for suggestion.

Last edited:
you'll end up hearing dvx100a, XL1s/XL2, GL2 from many indy digital movie makers. I personally have an XL1s and am very happy with it. DVX makes pretty pictures, and the XL2 fixed alot of the problems with the XL1s. GL2 is more affordable, takes pretty pictures. (there's one for sale by someone on another thread).

You'll probably hear DVX more. It's a nice camera. The XL's look bigger and cooler on locations shoots as far as I'm concerned. The rest is exposure, framing and white balance. See the Remember thread for an example of what's possible with a mid - high end digital camera.

I've been thinking...

I can only save up so much, and would it be worth it, in the long run, to either purchase TWO lesser quality cameras, or one very decent camera?

Scenes with multiple angles is a must, but I dont want to mix up footage in terms of quality. I cant afford two high end cameras, but two 'worse' cameras, I could.. maybe.

I've been reading all day, I think the dvx-100a is a good canidate for a camera, but I certainely cant afford two of them. My canidates for two lesser quality cameras would probably be: cheap panny 3ccd cams, cannon optra xi, or something in that range.

I care so much about this film, I dont want it to look shitty, and I can achieve professional looking footage with the dvx, and I can still create multiple scene shots, just harder and more time consuming than with two lesser cameras.

What would you do?

In my town, the local cable access station will let you use theirs. Good stuff too. Shotgun mics and dat boxes, lights, booms, and dolly track. All free! You just have to sign up a month in advance. Might be worth checking into. Other than that renting is good too!

As for me, I'm saving for a nice camera too, but just one, I figure later down the road I can pick up a sister camera off e-bay at a cost break. In the meantime, learning how to do things with one camera is kind of fun. :D

indietalk said:
Why not rent the two cameras for the shoot, or find a DP that owns two?

I live in a small town, very small. We have no place to rent anything decent, no place near us to rent thats within reasonable distance, and I'd seriously have better luck finding two people running a meth lab in this pos town than I would finding one person who owned not one, but two cameras. Sadly, its probably true with all of the busts within the last couple years.

I wish we had a local cable access station or something, we have a "community channel", but its taken care of by the college in the town next to ours. Its shot with one chip (1/6th) wal-mart cannon's. I cant think of the exact model, but its not near anything shoot-worthy.

I want to own, not rent anyhow. Monthly installments would be nice, if that was possible...

I would say get one better quality, you'll be happier in the long run. Having done a shoot with two, I would recommend either having 1 or 3, not 2. But one will force you to consider lighting for each angle separately which will improve your footage. It's easier to block as well as you don't have to block around the other camera/lighting.

Go for the DVX100A, but make sure you have enough money to afford all the accessories you'll need like a decent tripod ($200), 2 spare long life batteries ($70 x 2), a shotgun mic ($200-300) and a case (at cheap as $30, a silver tool kit found at Lowe's and up to $150).

Scott

scottspears said:
decent tripod ($200) Scott

Sorry to hijack the thread, but Scott, out of curiosity, can you recommend any decent tripods under $500? I'm in the market to buy one soon, but having a tough time deciding on what to get. I'd like to be able to support both small DV cameras and occassionally something on the larger side.

Thanks for the input guys. I really love the Panny dvx100a, and I must of mis typed what I wanted in the original post, even after I edited it.

I meant to say that i've really looked into the Panny dvx100a and was set on it, but was also was wondering what you though about the other cameras listed aswell.

Are there any good, reliable places where I can actually pay for the camera in monthly installments? Like each month they take X ammount from my checking account or something?

Back