Which camera is the best

hello to everyone! i am new here. we are filming a new indie film. we are just purchasing the camera and need to know which camera everyone thinks is the best to do the job. I need professional quality. In other words, for the movie theatre. There will me a lot of low light situations. May be even some underwater scenes (very few). I have read alot about the canon gl2 and the xl2. is the xl2 absolutely necessary. I saw that the Open Water film was done with a Sony PD 150. So the question: what is the best priced camera for the least price to do a professional film. I do not mind spending the money on an XL2. We do want to use professional mics.

Also, I have now seen a NEW XL2 advertised for $2004. Is this possible?? Or is it a scam! It is from a site listed with shopping.com. So, I just want your opinions on whether it is possible.

'sup good Hookups :cool:

Or is it a scam!

Yes.

I made a list of several of the scam web-stores late last year. RoyalCamera, ExpressCameras, GeniusCameras & Save-Here are some of the names to watch out for. (That's the tip of a long list, btw) You should look up any potential online store at www.ResellerRatings.com before parting with any loot.

_______

what is the best priced camera for the least price to do a professional film

That's pretty open to what you need to get the job done.

Have you considered renting from a reputable rental house instead? Get exactly what you need for the given task, without blowing a wad of cash on a camera that may be obsolete in less than a year?

:)

Last edited:
If you're looking to buy and there will be a lot of low light shooting, I would suggest a Sony PD170. I have one and for low light situations, it's an excellent choice. I have footage taken at 3AM, pointed at the sky and can clearly see defined clouds. The color seperation for night shooting is the best for the price.

IMHO, the most reliable place to purchase cameras and accessories is http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

I would recommend either the XL-2 or the DVX for movie theatre screenings. Both have 24p, a feature not found in the GL2 or the PD170. The XL-2 has an interchangeable lense but costs about $1K more. The DVX has a fixed Zeiss zoom lens but is less expensive; it also has a flip-out LCD monitor, which the XL-2 does not have. That's the major trade-off between the two. Both have 2 XLR inputs for audio, along with various cinema settings.

Back