Where to Start Producer/funding Hunting

I'm all set to go with making a feature, I've put feelers out, I've aligned a great team of people who love the idea and want to work...now I have to find a producer and subsequently money. And I know about finding producers who have worked at your level, whose work shows an interest or fondness in what your story is, but no one ever, in any article I've read have explained HOW to find these producers. Say I have a list of names gleaned from IMDB, the credits roll on other films and named dropped in said previous articles; how do I contact them? How does one approach them in a professional manner? 'Their production company' everyone says but where do I find the contact information for even that? It's sort of like when a job won't hire you because you lack experience.

A lot of you have been where I am, so I'm looking to see what advice you had, how you approached it, where to look, sadly that big book of producers isn't made anymore so...help a fella out?

I just what to be clear in my understanding.

What you are looking for is someone who will find the money to make
your movie? A movie you will direct? And you already have a team
put together.

Yes, I'm seeking funding on my own and looking for a producer as well, someone who is established and gotten movies made previously since my efforts alone in finding funding have not been fruitful.

I have not gone the crow-funding way just yet as it seems great for small goals but not so much for feature length.

And yes, my team is made up of friends-save the DP-who work in the arts professionally and have in a serious manner committed to helping me make the film as we're all artists but unsatisfied in our current employment which has nothing to do with the arts they studied and honed in college. I have a composer, a mixer, several professional makeup artists, one stylist, and an interior designer. We've gotten together broken down the script, and set up a loose potential schedule of a 14-20 day shoot.
My AD is setting up a script reading with a theater troupe to see how it flows and what needs to be changed or edited further; I'm satisfied with it but until you hear others read your lines you never quite know.

My DP is someone I found online and have met with, and she's very keen once we get funding.

First (of course) is you need a great script. I know you know that.
One of the downsides is you already have a team put together. So
any producer who comes on to the project is stuck with the already
established team. It might be an upside if the team is established.
A producer who is established and gotten movies made has established
people they like to work with. Especially with a first time director.

An assumption. That this will be your first feature as a director.

So your challenge will be to not just find a producer who believes in
the script (and you) enough to work on spec to find money but
believes in your entire team.
Say I have a list of names gleaned from IMDB, the credits roll on other films and named dropped in said previous articles; how do I contact them? How does one approach them in a professional manner? 'Their production company' everyone says but where do I find the contact information for even that?
Most prodCo's have websites. You can usually find contact info there.
You may have to spend some money. IMDb Pro and Done Deal Pro
have good databases.
I suspect you know what is the professional manner to approach them;
The logline and pitch, resumes of the team, a budget range.

It's sort of like when a job won't hire you because you lack experience.
Yep. You are asking someone who is established to work for free until
they raise enough money to start getting paid. Of course you will help
but you don't have any connections to your help will be limited to the
creative. So the creative needs to be attractive. I know YOU believe in
it and so does your team. Some ExecProds will sign on because they
love the project. Some sign on because they believe in the people and
those people are usually long time friends and/or established. Most sign
on to a project they believe will make money.

How does one approach them in a professional manner?

Professionally. As a business. Build a package that makes financial sense. Pitch that package.

where do I find the contact information

imdb pro.

One of the downsides is you already have a team put together. So
any producer who comes on to the project is stuck with the already
established team.

As rik mentioned, since you have your package together, whether you get financing is relatively modal now. You'll either get it or you won't. By the sound of it, you're learning solidly towards the not - This assumes you couldn't resist listing named talent attached.

There are many roads to gaining successful financing for a film. When people say this, it's usually about putting the right package together. The right combination of people who will attract an audience. It's a lot more complicated than this, but I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying (and failing I might add) to say.

I get the impression you want to direct and get your big break. I wish you luck. It's tough. Very tough. I'm going to suggest that you consider taking the road that Nolan or Rodriguez took. This approach may build your up as a director better able to attach named talent.

Oh I don't need named talent. So long as people can act/crew professionally and well, I'm with it. When I say I have my team, I meant the crew, nothing on the casting side. Right now the proposal package has the budget as a micro-feature for $75,000.

And yeah, lol I asked 'How do I approach them professionally' I meant, the best manner, which appears to be scheduling meetings to pitch. I figure with a micro-budget I can retain the majority of control and keep my team (and yes, ok, so they're friends, but they are also friends who know how to do their jobs) since I trust their output. But yeah, as someone unproven I can understand how that may not be a detraction. To get the best quality out of this I'd rather start out paying people rather than using credits, especially since I'm asking for 21 days of their life away from their day-jobs.

But you guys are rad for the suggestions.

Oh I don't need named talent.

I hear that often. It never fails to amuse me, but that's a separate discussion.

You're right. You don't need named talent to make a film. You don't even need a name to ask for money. With this, you are virtually ensuring you're removing anything but dumb money from the equation. Not that there's anything wrong with dumb money.

I meant, the best manner

By prior relationship or referral from someone the producer trusts. That produces the best results.

I figure with a micro-budget I can retain the majority of control and keep my team

Possibly. $75k is still a sizable amount of money. To put it in a perspective, think what your reaction would be if a friend asked to borrow $5k from you. Try asking a friend to borrow $5k sometime. Pay attention to their reaction.

I assume you've already tried to chase down some money and run into dead ends.

as someone unproven I can understand how that may not be a detraction

A mistype? I don't know anyone who sighs a breath of relief to have an unproven team.

To get the best quality out of this I'd rather start out paying people rather than using credits

Awesome. What happens if you don't get financial backing? What's the plan?

I did neglect to ask one thing. Are you an unproven director?

I didn't realize you were talking about a $75,000 project. I don't
believe you will find someone who is established and gotten movies
made willing to find $75,000 and produce a movie on that budget.

I am not saying you can't – anything is possible - I'm saying I don't
believe an established producer will do it.

A producer will put in eight to twelve weeks just finding the money.
Then three to five for pre production, you want 3 weeks of production,
then a very short 9 weeks of post and another few months trying to
get it into the right festivals and you are asking for a commitment of
23 to 32 weeks not including the time after the movie is finished.

At a crazy low rate of $2,000 per week that's $46,000 to $64,000
for one person. You can't do that on a $75,000 budget. An established
producer with a few finished films and access to money will easily
charge double that.

So you are looking for someone who deeply believes in you and your
team to donate their time to you. That takes a very close, very loyal,
very committed personal friend. Not someone you find on IMDb Pro.
Because they will see (maybe) $3,500 total for their time, skill and
experience. Or $100 to $150 per week.

My advice based on the $75,000 range is to not bother with someone
who is established and gotten movies made but to look for an up an
comer who is as hungry to start their career as a producer as you are
to start yours as a writer/director.

Hive, at this price range, YOU are likely the best producer for your project. Instead of looking for one, go out and start hitting people up for money. It'll give you the experience you'll need to approach your next project with.

Good luck.

Back