Where to get started on a short film ?

Hi,

I want to make a short movie to understand the whole movie making process from planning stage to final product. At this point, I am not too keen on understanding the distribution process as this is purely for gaining experience (of course, there is always youtube). Any suggestions on where to get started ?

I have Mac and Windows Laptops, Canon HF Vixia M31 HD Camcorder + Tri-pod, Final cut pro video editing software (my camcorder records in MTS format, hopefully Final cut pro is ok with it). I wrote a (silly) script with just 2 characters (and most of it can be shot in a house or apartment). The script is simple and straight forward, nothing ground breaking. What I don't have is actors and experience in making a film. And I have no idea how sound/dubbing works (and whether it is needed or not) and what kind of equipment I would need to record dialogue (along with the Video or separate during dubbing process). I see some folks suggesting external micro-phone directly connected to camcorder to eliminate dubbing altogether. Any tips here will be of great help for me. If you have any suggestions on external microphones, please let me know.

In general, what are the other things I need to look into before I jump into this ? What am I missing in terms of must-have equipment ? Lighting ? And where do the film makers here get their actors typically ? Obviously I am not looking for paid actors for this.

Thanks,
Pal

Well, I suppose you better first start with improving your script so it isn't silly, unless its supposed to be silly.

For audio, an external microphone would probably be way to go; I've had the Rode Videomic pro recommended to me. Also, I've been told to record to an digital audio recorder instead of to the camera. (no dubbing required).

Since you're starting out, you'll need only the basics, camera + tripod + editing software, which you already have. Lighting is very important but if you can't afford lighting kits, then just make sure you have plenty of regular lamps or follow one of the DIY light kit making tutorials on youtube.

PS. I'm just curious, if you're just starting out, why and how do you have Final Cut studio? Where'd you get it?

I honestly, wholeheartedly would not use a rode videomic pro for short films. It is okay for mounting on your camera (that is pretty much its sole purpose), but you never want to record short film dialog from a camera mounted microphone. You can't boom the rode videomic either, because it is on an unbalanced connection, and a cord more than a few feet in length will pick up an enormous amount of interference, which will make your audio unusable.

The best sound solution for your set up would probably be a preamp/mixer and a balanced shotgun mic. I have a Canon HF21 and use the JuicedLink CX211 as my preamp, and the Rode NTG-2 as my main mic. It sound amazing and you can boom to your heart's content.

You can find actors at schools that have a drama department and
in acting classes. There are dozens of websites that specialize in
helping actors find filmmakers (and the other way around).

I see some folks suggesting external micro-phone directly connected to camcorder to eliminate dubbing altogether. Any tips here will be of great help for me. If you have any suggestions on external microphones, please let me know.
Excellent suggestion. Plugging a microphone directly into the camera
is a fine option.

Sennheiser is the mic most used by professional sound recordists.
They are expensive and worth it. Check out the ME-66 and the ME-67.

Audio-Technica is cheaper. Check out the AT835B and the AT835ST.

Rode makes an inexpensive mic and many people love them.

In general, what are the other things I need to look into before I jump into this ? What am I missing in terms of must-have equipment ? Lighting ?
Lighting is very important. with most digital cameras you can get an
image in very low light, so many people think if they can see it in the
viewfinder, it's good enough. Using light well can make a huge difference.

This is my favorite book to recommend to newbies. It's a really easy read, and very informative. It used to sell for $4, used, but now you can't find it less than $20, so you better snatch it up while still available!

http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Bones-Camera-Course-Video/dp/0960371818

P.S. Everything in the book can be found online, for free! The first stuff I think you should research is basic shot composition. Photography 101. Learn about the rule of thirds, framing, balance, etc. And practice it. With a still camera. Often.

I have no idea how sound/dubbing works (and whether it is needed or not) and what kind of equipment I would need to record dialogue (along with the Video or separate during dubbing process)

As always I recommend finding someone else to run the audio. If you hire a pro they will have a lot of nice gear. You could look for an up-and-coming production sound mixer/boom-op who should have the basics. If you absolutely must buy your own sound gear give us your budget and we can make a few recommendations.

Back