• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Where to begin with film editing?

I want to learn film editing and become a professional film editor.

I don't quite know how to begin though?

My main problem is that I don't know where to get material. I will start with editing films by creating trailers and twisting its mood and genre.

I'm not really interested in going to a film-school at this stage. I want to learn on my own. And I want to be great at it.

You could start by shooting your own footage if you need to, even if it's with a cellphone camera.

It will take many hours before you become completely familiar with any type of advanced editing software. Put in the work, watch as many video tutorials as you can, get creative.

My main problem is that I don't know where to get material.

41rw9%2B8gNYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You think that you want to be an editor. But until you do it, intensively, you're just imagining. Until you get your hands dirty, for all you know, you might actually really prefer being a set-decorator. So, do what you gotta do and start making movies. :)

As Cracker said, the only way to know if you really want to be an editor, is putting your hand on it. Specially because an editor will never (or almost never) begin in the glamour of a trailer. This is a top job.

I became an editor for almost six years until now, and still now I got to edit extremely boring videos to make my money. It is part of this path. Nobody will hire you to edit his trailer, a so much important piece, without see a good and convincing portfolio. And to make a good portfolio, get a camera, choose an editing software and start to work on everything you can. This is my advice after some years in editing work.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I have a camera. A Canon EOS 1100D.

This is gonna sound stupid but what exactly do I film? I don't have anybody I can involve and I'm not comfortable with filming strangers.

I like the raw film data, I'll see if I can cut like a short movie out of a feature. There is also the synopsis of tv-series which I can learn.

I'm not after a glamorous aspect of editing. I love film and I love the visual aspect of it. I love the motion and how that's connected with sound. I just want to start editing so that I can start working a year from now. And I mean even free jobs, Internet freelancing stuff, anything basically. I'm willing to put in the work.

I have a PC and have decided to start with Sony Vegas. Is that recommended?

I've also ordered In the Blink of an Eye and Technique of Film Editing by Karel Reisz.

Last edited:
I use and recommend Vegas. But I also use After Effects for compositing, and return to Vegas to edit these compositions. If you have any questions about using it, you can send me message and I will gladly help you. There is a lot of documentation on the internet too, but when you begin to edit, some doubts arise and possibly you do not know what to research.

Film whatever you want... Make something artsy, or just make a documentary of anything... a day in someone's life, or your own.... A day in the life of your cat or pet iguana! THEN practice with the footage...

My suggestion for the footage:

1.Edit all of the raw footage into individual clips, keeping them saved in the same folder.

2. Once all of the clips are saved and separated from the useless footage, begin to build your project, arranging the clips in whatever order you want them in... adding transitions or titles (or anything extra.)

3. Begin working on the sound... it is always wise to use a program like adobe soundbooth to enhance your sound from the way it sounds raw.... many people add sound effects as well (even simple things.) Choose your music, preferably stock music, and add that into your stew of a project...

4. Color Correction Time (if you don't know how to do this, look up some tutorials.)

5. Once all these steps are complete, watch the entire project and make sure you are satisfied.... (If you wish to add any special effects, i would suggest that BEFORE color correction)

6. If you are not satisfied, go through it one more time and tweak it...

7. once you are finally satisfied, save it and get some feedback.

I often go back to earlier works and re-edit them. Sometimes for fun, other times because my aesthetic preferences change over time. My first 6 short films I went back 5-6 years later and re-edited each one of them from scratch.

I've actually considered doing that with my first film. It's 35 minute run time should have been about 25 minutes. It would be an interesting exercise.

How about you "produce" something?

seeing how you have no skills to bring to a production, your basically going to have to "Pay" other kids to play with you, thats OK, Its an important job!

Can you raise $500? $200? Do you have a cool resources at your disposal?
Put together a list of available resources.. cash, friends, locations, equipment, etc.

let it be known that you want to "produce" a short film and have a budget of $xxx and are looking for scripts and directors. Be open and honest and have fun, in the end you will have something to edit and a director to help.

Another idea to get started is to volunteer for free to someone locally shooting/editing and be an assistant editor. Learn while working. Possibly do your own cuts of the scenes and present them.

I don't really have those options. I want to start really small. Just getting videos into Sony Vegas and messing around. Get a feel for timing and transitions and so on.

OK so I have downloaded Sony Vegas Trial version and I have my Matrix DVD.

How do I get the film into Sony Vegas so I can start chopping it up and experimenting?

Last edited:
I don't really have those options. I want to start really small. Just getting videos into Sony Vegas and messing around. Get a feel for timing and transitions and so on.

OK so I have downloaded Sony Vegas Trial version and I have my Matrix DVD.

How do I get the film into Sony Vegas so I can start chopping it up and experimenting?

Just go to File>Import and then import the video clips and/or music files or other media. It will appear in the project media panel and from there, just drag and drop it into the timeline.

Back