• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Where do you draw your inspiration from?

I'm just wondering how everyone gets their creative process rolling.

Personally, I try to read a lot of classic literature and try to draw general themes and character profiles from it, and then relate that back to my own experience and relate it to my own psyche. I like to draw inspiration from my childhood and early teenage years, too, when I experienced a large volume of emotional pain. If I can channel that, it helps a lot if I'm writing a serious scene.

I also always write to music. Before I even think about sitting down and writing a scene, I already have the perfect song picked out for the premise of it. Oh, and marijuana doesn't hurt the creative process, either. ;) But let's not get in to that.

Just keep asking yourself, "What if...".

Apply that to everday things/events/people that you encounter each day.

That's a great way to convert the humdrum into endless possibilities.

Often, I work sort of backwards. Rather than develop a plot, I study philosophy and choose a theme/message I want to send. After that I can usually develop a plot without too much effort. I'm big on the whole "meaningful film" thing. Part of the reason I suck at comedy I guess :D.

right back at ya Shaw! Thats the way I seem to be wired too. It gets me worried that I always have to avoid to classic five minute climax voice over 'this is life' speech. I remember when we were writing a comedy (as a company), and I kept on saying 'this doesn't say anything', so we rewrote the last half and it came out as Hitler-character driven rubbish 'this is life' stuff. sometimes the comedy is in the ways that we can show 'this is life'. BTW - is your quote Wittengstein?Now theres a few themes you could send!!

Back