Where can I study more about film?

I'm 17 and this September I'm going to be a senior in high school. I want to further my studies in film and cameras because my school doesn't seem to offer anything related to film (We do have a film studies class but the teacher literally just pops in a video and makes people watch emmy award winning movies and that's it).

Whether it be a YT video, a website, a book, or a DVD; I really want to further my studies and get off the basic band wagon. So if anyone could refer anything, it'd be awesome!

Well, I was thinking something I can study with in the confides of my own home. I'm going to be a senior in high school so the LA Film school isn't till I receive my high school diploma. I feel as if I'm wasting my summer when I could be studying more into film! Besides, I already checked out the LA Film school; the price is impossible for me. The cheapest is $80,000+ for a 12 month program. And I doubt my parents would let me fly to London, though it'd be nice.

Pick up a camcorder.

Write a script, get a couple of friends to help,
get a couple of actors from a drama class.

Make a movie.

Do this four times in the next eight weeks.

Don't expect each movie to be award winners,
don't expect them to be of the highest quality.
You will learn a lot about making a movie.

directorik is right.

You can read forums and find info sites on filmmaking, but if you just go out, and make a film, you can learn what went wrong, and how to improve.

I think the best thing to do is to make a solid short film where everything that isn't budget dependent is perfect so if the story is well written and acted but also kept simple then maybe you can show something bigger to investors. A degree in film to be honest doesn't get you anywhere apart from experience with the relative equipment but investors or employers are more interested in the individuals creativity than the degree

Directorik speaks the truth.

Experience is the best teacher....................... Make a short in your favorite genre and try to make it look as pro as possible.

Learn to watch movies..... By that I mean learn to see what the camera is doing (pan, zoom, dolly, jib shot, etc) and how the lighting makes (or breaks) a scene.

Watch a lot of movies.:D

Motorstorm is right about money people looking for creative types. Robert Rodriguez said something to the fact of "technical things can be taught, but people are born with talent.
If you are talented and technically proficient, you are unstoppable. "

Last edited:
shockimpulse I will just tell you my experience. I first started with internet. I read the different shots angles. And there logics. Wikipedia is great for it. Plus you can also type and search on Google "Camera Angles" or "Camera Angles and Shot" or"Camera Shots".
After that i purchased a book which is Teach your self Film making by Tom Holden. I believe that was more then enough to take a start.

But it took a short film making course from NCA because certificates could help me to get a job in Television channels, Pro houses etc. But that written data was more then enough to study for a beginner

Back