When to use Shoulder rig vs. counter weight stabilizer, vs. tripod?

I need some advice to make sure I am using the right tool for the job. I am finding myself being able to get a much more stable image over my shoulder rig, by using the 'tripod as a counter weight' trick.. That is, if have any movement. Of course if I use the tripod how its supposed to be used it's rock solid. This leaves me stylistically asking where does the shoulder rig fit in? Is it basically for run and gunning and you don't want to deploy a monopod or a tripod?

Use what works for you Is what I say ! I have a shoulder rig and rarely use it. I have not mastered it, so It is not favored. Maybe if I get the hang of it, I might use it more...time will tell

Use what works for you Is what I say ! I have a shoulder rig and rarely use it. I have not mastered it, so It is not favored. Maybe if I get the hang of it, I might use it more...time will tell

Thats what I feel right now.. My shoulder shots don't seem to flow as well as just holding a tripod.. :weird:

Back in my news shooting days we we encouraged strongly to use a tripod unless doing certain types of live shots, show and tells, etc. The reason being is that you can show a sense of urgency or make the audience feel like they are witnessing something when you shoot from the shoulder - AND - it's not overused in everyday news packages. It was used on purpose for a purpose.

Of course, these things were filtered down from consultants, the news director, the chief of photography, and down to us, but I think the thinking also translates to movies.

Shooting from the shoulder should be used like a certain brush on the canvas for a certain look, but you wouldn't necessarily want to paint the picture using just one brush.

Back in my news shooting days we we encouraged strongly to use a tripod unless doing certain types of live shots, show and tells, etc. The reason being is that you can show a sense of urgency or make the audience feel like they are witnessing something when you shoot from the shoulder - AND - it's not overused in everyday news packages. It was used on purpose for a purpose.

Of course, these things were filtered down from consultants, the news director, the chief of photography, and down to us, but I think the thinking also translates to movies.

Shooting from the shoulder should be used like a certain brush on the canvas for a certain look, but you wouldn't necessarily want to paint the picture using just one brush.

Okay I'm getting the picture now... For some reason I thought a shoulder rig was going to be a silver bullet....

One tool that a lot of videographers don't use that I love is a monopod. When you have to run and gun shot setups or are shooting a live event, it gives you a tripod-esque look but you can pick it up and walk.

There isn't a silver bullet. If you had to pick one thing, pick a tripod. But yes, the type of stabilization you use combined with shot angle and movement can tell the story (or at least help convey a mood) by itself. Just like lighting design can do the same, or production design, etc.

silver bullet....

Does not exist. :(

Any stabilizer (or lack thereof) that you choose is going to require practice to get good with. It's like upgrading from your 1999 rigid mountain bike to a brand new 8" travel dual suspension mtb and expecting to just hop on it and bomb down some single track without having ridden a bike in the same amount of time.

I've seen an operator hold an HDX-900 in the palm of his hand, above his head (arm at full extension) while standing on an apple box and pulling focus with his other hand. The shot was bad ass, smooth as silk. That takes practice, not gear. Granted this operator is a very, very large man (I'm 6'1" and he dwarfed me easy) who is also an experienced steadicam op. Still, practice > gear.

Yeah, I use a union operator who is a friend as my DP. His lighting, is good, his camera work (20 years in LA on TV shows and low budget movies) is mind blowing. It takes a lot of experience to to master camera operation.

I have no use for a shoulder rig at all, but I don't do run and gun stuff, and stylistically only have VERY limited circumstances where I like handgheld. I'm sinking all that money into building dollys and sliders.

Yeah, I use a union operator who is a friend as my DP. His lighting, is good, his camera work (20 years in LA on TV shows and low budget movies) is mind blowing. It takes a lot of experience to to master camera operation.

I have no use for a shoulder rig at all, but I don't do run and gun stuff, and stylistically only have VERY limited circumstances where I like handgheld. I'm sinking all that money into building dollys and sliders.

Yeah, I've come to that conclusion.. I'm kinda thinking that my shoulder rig cash was probably better (for me) budgeted towards a dolly or slider.

I will continue practicing though. My footage is getting a tad more stable every time I get back on it.

My metal work friend is building me a copy of a slider I have borrowed in the past right now. I'll start a thread with some pics when it's done.

It's 6' long, made of aluminum pipe set 12" apart. It's built to fit onto a combo stand at each end, then the camera is mounted using a tripod head, cheese plate and 4 sets of skaeboard wheels.

My metal work friend is building me a copy of a slider I have borrowed in the past right now. I'll start a thread with some pics when it's done.

It's 6' long, made of aluminum pipe set 12" apart. It's built to fit onto a combo stand at each end, then the camera is mounted using a tripod head, cheese plate and 4 sets of skaeboard wheels.

Very nice, I built a skate dolly based on two wall mounts for shelves. It works like a charm. I'm currently trying to connect two together, but have yet to mask the seam well, so for now I can only go 6 feet.

Back