When to bring on a Producer, and why?

Hello,

As some of you know, I am writing my own horror feature film. This is my first venture in to this area. On my previous small projects I've played most of the behind the camera roles. However obviously this is a different kettle of fish, as my grandad says, so I need a bit of guidance. I was wondering when to bring on a producer and what I should be expecting of them.

This is my understanding:

The producers roles - Find funding, oversee budget, help getting names attached, fill out paperwork, hire other necessary crew.

I am aware that I probably haven't covered all the jobs but do I have the main idea right?

Do producers often have a financial input in to the film? maybe in return for a percentage of the profits?

Should I bring on a producer before I finish the script or wait until after (I have a feeling it's the latter, but again, just being sure)

Sorry for the wall of questions but I wanted to be 100% sure

Thanks

Can you imdb link several recent (three years) theatrically released feature length horror films at the budget range you're guesstimating the film will cost to produce?

Last edited:
I can't at the moment as I'm about to head out, I assume this is an exercise in reality? Seeing how little there are that make it?

I am painfully aware of the reality of it. I like to think of my self as extremely optimistic in that regard, but aware of the reality of the chnaces.

The producers roles - Find funding, oversee budget, help getting names attached, fill out paperwork, hire other necessary crew.

I am aware that I probably haven't covered all the jobs but do I have the main idea right?
You have the main jobs of the producer correct.

Do producers often have a financial input in to the film? maybe in return for a percentage of the profits?
By "financial input" do you mean do they invest their own money?
The producer will expect to be included in any profits.

Should I bring on a producer before I finish the script or wait until after (I have a feeling it's the latter, but again, just being sure)
I'm not exactly what you mean by "bring on" a producer. That leads
me to believe you will pay a producer - I don't think that's what you
mean. So I suspect you are asking when a producer might be interested
in producing your project. Is that correct? It doesn't seem like you are
asking about selling this script but finding a producer who will find the
funding for a movie you will direct - a partner in your project. If that is
the case you should start looking for a producer right away.

You have the main jobs of the producer correct.

By "financial input" do you mean do they invest their own money?
The producer will expect to be included in any profits.

I'm not exactly what you mean by "bring on" a producer. That leads
me to believe you will pay a producer - I don't think that's what you
mean. So I suspect you are asking when a producer might be interested
in producing your project. Is that correct? It doesn't seem like you are
asking about selling this script but finding a producer who will find the
funding for a movie you will direct - a partner in your project. If that is
the case you should start looking for a producer right away.

That's correct I did mean investing, so should I expect a producer to invest? (particularly at my level)

And correct again, I am looking for someone to work with me to get this film made, I would like to direct it too. I will start my search for a producer immediately. I think the film has promise but I am aware that the controversial content may put some off.

There are so many different levels and kinds of producers. Within those, there are different ways that producers work. Each have their own strength and weakness. They tend to play to their strengths and delegate tasks.

Kind of a simplistic view, but yes, that are some of the roles. The producer is often the one that is responsible to ensure the movie is completed. They're also the ones making a lot of the financial decisions (along with the PM/UPM).

As above. Add in diplomat and a bunch of other things, and you're coming close to it.

They can, but it's unusual. Some producers that are developing their own ideas can if they're unsuccessful in getting a studio or investor to fork over the cash, or they just want to keep the extra points in their own pocket.

It depends on the producer and what you're expecting from them. On a lot of movies, the producer is the first one on a movie and the last one off. So, before your script is complete is what I'd suggest. For example, there is no point in writing a script if there are glaring errors that need to be fixed before you can move on. On studio movies, they may bring on a producer after the development phase.

Be aware, producers tend to be paid a lot.

There are so many different levels and kinds of producers. Within those, there are different ways that producers work. Each have their own strength and weakness. They tend to play to their strengths and delegate tasks.

Kind of a simplistic view, but yes, that are some of the roles. The producer is often the one that is responsible to ensure the movie is completed. They're also the ones making a lot of the financial decisions (along with the PM/UPM).

As above. Add in diplomat and a bunch of other things, and you're coming close to it.

They can, but it's unusual. Some producers that are developing their own ideas can if they're unsuccessful in getting a studio or investor to fork over the cash, or they just want to keep the extra points in their own pocket.

It depends on the producer and what you're expecting from them. On a lot of movies, the producer is the first one on a movie and the last one off. So, before your script is complete is what I'd suggest. For example, there is no point in writing a script if there are glaring errors that need to be fixed before you can move on. On studio movies, they may bring on a producer after the development phase.

Be aware, producers tend to be paid a lot.

Thank you for the answers :)

When you say a lot, how much of a percentage of the profits should I expect to give up? In the 1% - 25% or the 25% - 50% range?

When you say a lot, how much of a percentage of the profits should I expect to give up? In the 1% - 25% or the 25% - 50% range?
Bone up on your financial terms.
Revenue isn't the same as profit.

Revenue
- Expenses
= Profit

Typically, producers will want to be paid a percentage of the production budget up front + a percentage of additional revenue + a percentage of genuine profit.

See post #32 http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=39122&page=3
Research "waterfall recoupment schedule."

Bone up on your financial terms.
Revenue isn't the same as profit.

Revenue
- Expenses
= Profit

Typically, producers will want to be paid a percentage of the production budget up front + a percentage of additional revenue + a percentage of genuine profit.

See post #32 http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=39122&page=3
Research "waterfall recoupment schedule."

Wow...

Thank you for that thread, I'm gonna bookmark that and read it about 15 times over and hope it all sinks in.

I won't be approaching a producer until I'm sure I've got it all straight. Thanks again. :)

It all depends.

If the producer believes your project can make money and you're expecting the producer to find the financing and run the production, 50% less the above the line deals s/he makes can be typical. This usually happens when the producer starts development her/himself. 50% of the profits typically go to the investors, 50% to the producer, less what points s/he needs to give up to attach talent (director, writer, main cast).

If they're not somewhat convinced it will make money and typically they don't have to find the money, they may go for a percentage of the budget. Typical deals like this I've heard are in the range of 10-15% of the total budget.

Others just go for a straight $$$ fee.

I've even heard of some going for a nett points. Though, these kind of deals are rare and limited to big time players as they'd get their percentage before expenses are deducted, sometimes calculated before distribution fees are calculated.

or a combination of any/all of the above.

There is no union for producers so there isn't a set rate of what you can expect. The weaker your position and the more special conditions you attach, the less your negotiating power.

After re-reading some of the posts, all this may be moot, depending on what your plans and needs are.

Last edited:
Back