What's your Dream Remake?

Say you were given carte blanche to remake a film with only 3 rules:

1. The movie must be older than you.
2. The movie's story must be a modernization (i.e. it can't be shot-for-shot or a remake set in the same era.)
3. You can't use any of the actors who can be considered well-known.

What film would you choose.

I'll be happy to go first. (And, just in the interest of full disclosure, I was born in 1988.) Definitely, as a writer and actor, I'd be happy to have this challenge, and would make the choice to remake "Brewster's Millions." It's been done 7 times, but retains it's qualities as a timeless story because of how the world changes, specifically monetarily. I'd be happy to use myself in the starring roles (A kid can dream, can't he?) Something that would be a big challenge would be how much the inheritance is how much Montgomery Brewster would have to spend, and how long he has to spend it. For perspective, in the 85 version, the inheritance is $300 million and there has to be $30 million spent in 30 days, the original story, set in 1906, gives a guy a year to spend $1 million to get $7 mil.

So, what do you guys think?

I'd remake First Blood. I would set Rambo's past in the Iraq war, instead of Vietman and use a lot of the Irag war controversies to serve the story, which would be very much the same, but I would bring in ingredients from the original novel as well.

Island by Aldous Huxley
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

The Maltese Falcon by John Huston
The Lady Vanishes by Alfred Hithcock

The four books and films listed above are very stories that could become amazing films if put into modern settings and with more relatable characters. I'm not saying that the above films and books aren't good, I'm just saying that they are very cool stories with deep messages that could appeal and entertain audiences today.

Oh, and Dune would be very, very interesting as well :yes:

Let's pretend I'd be talented enough to direct this film and I had the resources to make it.
I was born in 1996.

The Boys From Fengkuei directed by Hou Hsiao-hsien (1983)
I just saw this film yesterday, I like that it presents more of a world rather than a plot. I really care about the lives of these characters and the Taiwan of 1983. I think it would be cool to change the setting to the Dominican Republic and set it today, it could possibly be the first great Dominican film. It would make a good compare and contrast of the rural town of Jarabacoa that I live in and the cities of the country. There would be no well known or trained actors since this kind of film is best with untrained actors. Unfortunately, if I would want a profit I would have to add a real "conclusion" preferably a happy romance ending but since its my dream remake I'd keep the ending as is.

"White Heat" (1949)
Cody Jarrett is the sadistic leader of a ruthless gang of thieves. Afflicted by terrible headaches and fiercely devoted to his 'Ma,' Cody is a volatile, violent, and eccentric leader. Cody's top henchman wants to lead the gang and attempts to have an 'accident' happen to Cody, while he is running the gang from in jail. But Cody is saved by an undercover cop, who thereby befriends him and infiltrates the gang. Finally, the stage is set for Cody's ultimate betrayal and downfall, during a big heist at a chemical plant.
I would set it in modern day south LA and make Cody a black street thug with a serious mental illness. With a pumping hip hop soundtrack and a tough urban cast, we could have a box office winner.

How about "The Wizard of Oz"? Or "Oliver Twist" without the music?

If I was to remake anything, I'd remake the damned prequels - but that's not in accordance with the rules set for this thread.

Book adaptation:

http://www.amazon.com/Wasp-Eric-Fra...67762&sr=8-1&keywords=wasp+eric+frank+russell

But set in a fictional, modern day, earth-like democracy where the techniques are used by covert agents to trick the populace into surrendering their own freedoms for the sake of safety and security.

Movie remake:

Der Letzte Mann

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015064/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

But without the tacked-on "he wins the lottery" ending. Outside that I have no idea how I would go about it, but the story itself is pretty timeless.

Interesting choice. I thought Spencer Tracy was terrific in the original film adaptation. The Anthony Quinn version is pretty good, too.

Huh. Never knew that there was a film adaptation. I'm going to have to check those out. But there's so many possibilities with the story, I think it would be really interesting regardless :)

Buckaroo Banzi... Ok, sorry its not older than me (but not by much).

The concept really should be revisited. Totally ridiculous, but so much untapped potential the original just hinted at but wasn't able to deliver. I love the original cast and many things about it.... the quirky bits make me want to watch it but just barely hold up an otherwise lackluster film. Round out the rest of it, give it a more epic scale and flesh out out and it could be amazing. Don't get me wrong, I'm very fond of the film... but its sort of like eating a pizza and having to pick off the anchovies.

Casablanca. One of my all time favorite Bogart movies.

Wow... you're in for some serious work there...

Personally, I'd love to reboot Dune. With the precedents set by LotR and Hobbit for "trilogies are the new long movie" I think it could be very nicely done.

Oh, and I'd like to reboot Star Wars Ep I-III...

CraigL

Back