What's your biggest film making achievement/success?

We're all striving to make that indie masterpiece, but what have your achievements and successes in film making been to date? For some, it might just be finally finishing that script or finishing a film, for other it will be getting accepted in to certain festivals or even a big distribution deal.

Looking for a bit of inspiration to spur on.....

Getting to see a short film I worked on back in January up on the big screen next Friday. I was just part of the G&E team, but it's always exciting to finally get to see the sum of all the parts put together see how well we sold the illusion.

Seeing the finished film - always a reward in itself. :cool:

The helicopter shot I got two weeks ago hovering above a beautiful Utah canyon with 8 outlaw riders dressed in their get-up flaring guns as they rode full speed. It's an epic feeling.

Well for me it was creating my first and only (so far) science fiction short: http://alienscifimovie.com/

Something that was purely an experiment actually ended up getting tons of reviews and accepted at festivals. I was totally surprized by that!

The writer and I were very encouraged and we recently finished a feature length script based on the short. The writer ended up getting a manager over the past few years who had a "reader" from Hollywood evaluate our script.

Lots of suggested rewrites (and a pass for now), but the manager and the reader think the concept is great. So we will keep at it.

Its interesting because I am very unattached to the project, and really just having fun with it by seeing it evolve on its own.

For myself it's a bit different.

I get together a few times a year with a some fellow sound types and we play/show things for each other, both filmic and musical.

"Success" is just a simple "Oh, that was nice," or an "Ouch" or "That hurt" on a punch/hit, or an "Oh, yeah" after a particularly cool piece of a song. We also politely rip each others work to shreds; it's not personal, it's very constructive (and very welcome) criticism.

Of course, success is also a happy client who recommends me to others.

The first time someone offered me money. I shot something for free and they wanted more...

The first time I shot something and I realised I knew what I was doing.

The first time someone told me that they cried when they saw my short (for a good reason).

The first time I saw what I did at an invitation only short film festival. I felt like royalty!

The first time a pro I respect told me I have a lot of potential and what I shot kept them watching.

When an award winner spent an evening with me just because he thought my stuff was good and that he wanted to give me a steer.

The first time I was able to say 'no.'

I have been an extra in two indie films. In the first my son and I drove one of my military trucks through the (prop) door of a "drug warehouse" as part of a police raid, in the second I just had a small walk on part in a crowd scene.
Since I'm retired military and own military vehicles I have registered with the Alabama Film Commission as a Subject Matter Expert and Prop Master.
I was a journalist in the Army and am now a published freelance writer. The director of the first film I was in (Dixie Times, http://www.imdb.com/find?q=dixie+times&s=all) is very interested in making a novel I'm working on into his next indie film.
I have a contract for my first book (dark fiction in the vein of Stephen King) and hope to have it published by September.
Writing is my forte but I enjoy being involved in movie making. At some point in time I'll take a stab at screen writing (did some already in college) and maybe one day I'll see my name on the big screen as the head writer on a big film.

For me it's just getting my first short made, which I just did last week. I learned a lot and made tons of mistakes, but the best part was hearing several positive comments about it.

That said, I'm hoping for bigger achievements in the future... but at least I've got something to build on now.

Back