What's wrong the the (Hacked) Panasonic GH2?

I didn't really realise just how good the hacked Panasonic GH2 is!

Why does everyone go with canon when the hacked GH2 is much better on paper? The main drawbacks of other DSLR's for video are improved drastically, namely (there could be more, I'm a newbie):

1) A lot less aliasin, namely Moire; and
2) Less Rolling Shutter; because of the
3) Super high bitrate (170-ish MB)
4) No overheating

The first three alone make it a super duper extra triple awesome DSLR for video, and footage projected onto a large screen would look 100's of times better than a Canon DSLR (refering to Black Swan, and Phillip Bloom's promo video he made for Lucas Films at their Ranch).

So why doesn't every indie filmmaker use this little beast? And why don't the Pro's use this instead of the limited Canon DSLR's? Again, Black Swan and the host of other movies that use Canon DSLR's, like Iron man and even Newlyweds (Ed Burns) come to mind.

The only things I can think of are:

Lack of lenses, unlike with Canon - but adapaters should be readily available?
Poorer low light performance due to the smaller sensor - but the hack and extra bitrate allow filming at much higher ISO's cleaner, so it should even out?

For the record, I own a 600D and love it and and WAS lusting after a 5D MKII, until I put some serious thought into the GH2...

I'm mind boggled, there must be something I'm missing?

Ok, thanks stilly.

Brian, to crop video, access the Pan/Crop tool, check/uncheck the "Lock aspect ratio" and "Size about center" options according to your interest (test to see what it does), so you resize the F area, which is your Frame.

If you use real anamorphic footage, you have to select "no" in "Source / Maintain aspect ratio" option inside "Source" in the same Pan/Crop panel. It means resizing a frame with distortion. Selecting yes on this option, you resize without distortion.

Ok, thanks stilly.

Brian, to crop video, access the Pan/Crop tool, check/uncheck the "Lock aspect ratio" and "Size about center" options according to your interest (test to see what it does), so you resize the F area, which is your Frame.

If you use real anamorphic footage, you have to select "no" in "Source / Maintain aspect ratio" option inside "Source" in the same Pan/Crop panel. It means resizing a frame with distortion. Selecting yes on this option, you resize without distortion.

"Real anamorphic footage" means shooting with anamorphic lens?

And where do you put the tape marks on the LCD for framing?

Thanks for the great info.

The setting dimension is 1920x816 for your project/render settings and for each clip crop. To tape it off was tricky, some save a jpeg of a letter box frame onto the sd card and preview it on camera then tape off the lines. This didnt work for me for some reason so I took a picture of the frame from a monitor screen and taped off from there. The GH3 could of benefited from having these croplines built in me thinks. Maybe it does, havent looked into it.

Last edited:
The setting dimension is 1920x816 for your project/render settings and for each clip crop. To tape it off was tricky, some save a jpeg of a letter box frame onto the sd card and preview it on camera then tape off the lines. This didnt work for me for some reason so I took a picture of the frame from a monitor screen and taped off from there. The GH3 could of benefited from having these croplines built in me thinks. Maybe it does, havent looked into it.

That sounds hard.

A guy could become a folk hero if he took a pic of his LCD and overlayed the tape lines dimension in photoshop. :yes:

Back