What's wrong the the (Hacked) Panasonic GH2?

I didn't really realise just how good the hacked Panasonic GH2 is!

Why does everyone go with canon when the hacked GH2 is much better on paper? The main drawbacks of other DSLR's for video are improved drastically, namely (there could be more, I'm a newbie):

1) A lot less aliasin, namely Moire; and
2) Less Rolling Shutter; because of the
3) Super high bitrate (170-ish MB)
4) No overheating

The first three alone make it a super duper extra triple awesome DSLR for video, and footage projected onto a large screen would look 100's of times better than a Canon DSLR (refering to Black Swan, and Phillip Bloom's promo video he made for Lucas Films at their Ranch).

So why doesn't every indie filmmaker use this little beast? And why don't the Pro's use this instead of the limited Canon DSLR's? Again, Black Swan and the host of other movies that use Canon DSLR's, like Iron man and even Newlyweds (Ed Burns) come to mind.

The only things I can think of are:

Lack of lenses, unlike with Canon - but adapaters should be readily available?
Poorer low light performance due to the smaller sensor - but the hack and extra bitrate allow filming at much higher ISO's cleaner, so it should even out?

For the record, I own a 600D and love it and and WAS lusting after a 5D MKII, until I put some serious thought into the GH2...

I'm mind boggled, there must be something I'm missing?

Generally referred to as "The third coast". Certainly doesn't have the production of LA or New York, but as the center of the country music world a LOT of GAC, CMT, etc.. music videos shot here. My preferred rental house sold two of their Red Ones last year because they had lost so much business to the MK2.

That's my point, it's not LA or NY.

Where your preferred rental house may be getting rid of RED cams, my good friends are buying another Epic because they can't keep the two they have in.

However, there are three AF100s, three Canon DSLrs (With PL mounts) and some various other cameras barely going out these days. FS100 rents more than those things.

And, nah, they can't keep their three hacked GH2s in stock either.

Different areas may sing different tunes, that's all well and good.

Funny that people rent GH2's. Is it worth it? A clever buyer can get a new body for under 500 bucks if they sell off the big kit lens. It's almost like renting a lens cap! Just buy the damn thing and when you're done with it, give it to the dog for a chew toy!

And here in Cali, we're refer to ourselves as the "ONLY" coast. New York? Isn't that where the Mafia is? It's cold there right? I've heard of it.

Last edited:
Funny that people rent GH2's. Is it worth it? A clever buyer can get a new body for under 500 bucks if they sell off the big kit lens. It's almost like renting a lens cap! Just buy the damn thing and when you're done with it, give it to the dog for a chew toy!

And here in Cali, we're refer to ourselves as the "ONLY" coast. New York? Isn't that were the Mafia is? It's cold there right? I've heard of it.

Second body for 150/day with like two batteries, etc. with a PL mount for B-cam.

Camera body might be cheap, PL mount's another expense.

I'd work there (LA) they don't have enough money in the federal reserve for me to live there.

It's all about budget. Major label (We're talking Kenny Chesney grade here) music videos that used to have 40K or 50K budgets now have 10K budgets because of the reduced cost of shooting DSLR (buying a cam for $2K rather than renting a cam for $1500 a day).

I personally don't like the way the footage (GH2) looks. Obviously some people do. I think it's oversharp and videoish looking. To each his own.

Reduced budget because of camera cost??? That sucks for the artist, seeing as how that translates to horrible producing on someone's part.

If your budget is reduced by a good eighty percent or so because of a cheaper camera then you shouldn't be producing anyone's material.

Reduced budget because of camera cost??? That sucks for the artist, seeing as how that translates to horrible producing on someone's part.

If your budget is reduced by a good eighty percent or so because of a cheaper camera then you shouldn't be producing anyone's material.

Times are hard in the music business. The days of six figure music videos are basically over except for people selling in the multiple, multiple millions of records.

They obviously think it looks good enough, as do I. Not my be all end all dream camera by any means, but in the sub $3K camera market. I like it the best (Until the MK3 price drops or a new camera comes out). Just don't care for the look of GH2 footage (as i have probably said 500 times in 200 threads on this topic). It may work for some people, obviously it does. I don't care for it.

Times are hard in the music business. The days of six figure music videos are basically over except for people selling in the multiple, multiple millions of records.

That last comment has nothing to do with GH2 or 5D or any specific camera, just bad producing. Now, maybe the budgets are lower because of other factors (which they are, and cameras have nothing to do with the lower budgets of music videos), but you're saying they went from 50K to 10K because now you can use a DSLR... if that were true, heads should roll.

But, those who were actually in said industry before it tanked will tell you it had nothing to do with cameras.

I personally like to go out and make movies that communicate to people.

I don't like wasting time arguing about the quality of two equally competent cameras -

whatever floats your boat or is easier for you to use to achieve your art is the best choice IMO - even if that's an iPad camera.

That last comment has nothing to do with GH2 or 5D or any specific camera, just bad producing. Now, maybe the budgets are lower because of other factors (which they are, and cameras have nothing to do with the lower budgets of music videos), but you're saying they went from 50K to 10K because now you can use a DSLR... if that were true, heads should roll.

But, those who were actually in said industry before it tanked will tell you it had nothing to do with cameras.

Camera isn't the only factor of course. Though as with the C300 the low light abilities when combined with good glass can take a chunk out of the grip budget on top of the much lower camera costs.

I personally like to go out and make movies that communicate to people.

I don't like wasting time arguing about the quality of two equally competent cameras -

whatever floats your boat or is easier for you to use to achieve your art is the best choice IMO - even if that's an iPad camera.

Pretty much the same. This forum is the least gearhead of all the forums I frequent. I just feel compelled to chime in when a camera that is used extensively in pro environments (when you consider the whole Canon line) is being dismissed in in favor of what i view as a marginal camera. The GH2 has some stuff it does well, stuff it does better than the Canons, but overall, just don't think it's as good, much less the holy grail some think it is.

Camera isn't the only factor of course. Though as with the C300 the low light abilities when combined with good glass can take a chunk out of the grip budget on top of the much lower camera costs.

The slide in budget was completely political, not tied to the so-called "democracy" in digital advancements. People were being forced to shoot out 10-20K budgets before anything close to an affordable large sensor digital acquisition device came along. And that's on S16.

Has it pushed things even CHEAPER? Yeah, but that's not why it went that way, and had little effect on the primary shift.

Pretty much the same. This forum is the least gearhead of all the forums I frequent. I just feel compelled to chime in when a camera that is used extensively in pro environments (when you consider the whole Canon line) is being dismissed in in favor of what i view as a marginal camera. The GH2 has some stuff it does well, stuff it does better than the Canons, but overall, just don't think it's as good, much less the holy grail some think it is.

Ya!!!

I'm starting a campaign to get people to stop writing about how such and such camera is better because ________ and to go out and actually shoot something with what they've got (or to stop them from reading Amazon reviews and actually BUY a camera).

:)

The reason is just blind cult like trending. It's the same with apple and windows. I personally am not a brand loyalist, I try everything out and go with what is the best from personal testing. Luckily I live near B&H! ;)

Quite honestly, I don't care what anyone says, the hacked GH1 (gh13) and now the super hacked GH2 simply blow the Canon's out of the water on so many factors (except for build quality).

I use the hacked gh13 (better for slowmotion) and GH2s more than my af-100 but people are more impressed seeing the af-100. It's a completely different ball game and you can shoot and adapt so much faster and the quality is simply INSANE.

I had the Canon 5d and 7D and I tried to talk myself into believing it was better and then I went to Sundance 11 and saw all the terrible short films shot with the 7D on a big screen and how smushy they looked and then I saw my own hack footage projected on the big screen and then finally GH2 (which I stayed away from until it was hacked) and it simply smashes the Canons in quality no questions asked.

So you can run with the heard or you can create your own path.

The proof is in the pudding:

Google search for "clearest video ever" and you'll probably get this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO_h_Irqn_4

That was when I first really got my GH1 hack workflow going.

Now this is a direct GH2 (with my own custom hack) clip.... no canon camera can TOUCH this:

http://vimeo.com/32859655

Like looking through a window.

Enjoy!

- Blackout

somebody has been smoking some reefer.

I use the GH2 Hacked, its awesome for everything except low light conditions where I either add more light or faster lens. Great camera with Aquamotion @88Mbps! (higher quality demands faster cards and 88 vs 170 is less noticeable vs 24 to 88)

Regarding the hack, I follow the mad Russian's hack forum diligently, driftwood hacks are all bulletproof. Follow the directions and you'll have no issue hacking it.

GH2 Sedna hack with a Voigtlander 17.5 - b-cam is 5D and just about holds up even in low light situations. Check out our production:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Who-Needs-Enemies/130412530440147

Ps: Many stills are with the 5D.

Btw, recent comments about GH2 having 'plastic' feel is false, it's small sure, but feels weighty and tough with a nice rubber grip.

The reason for peoples choice is most people are sheeple.:D

Thanks fernando,

I've loved using the GH2 on this shoot and even silently converted my DOP who is a 5D owner (he never ever heard of the GH2!!) but now he admits the GH2 is a beast! Since the price cut of the RED i think the next shoot will be with that but I'll happily B-cam with my GH2 and the great Voigtlander lens (such a beautiful lens).

I also am using a battery alternative, it's a RC car batter attached to a DC coupler and it lasts about 8-11 hours and has never once let me down. Neither has the Sedna hack (always have playback too).

Last edited:
Hey dr stilly, this battery can be used for lights?

And which lens do you use? I'm going for a Sigma 30mm 1.4 which I really appreciate, but i'm not finding any adapter for GH2. Do you know?

And I'm starting to make anamorphic jobs in the next week, with an Isco Gottingen 2x. Do you already used it?

Hey dr stilly, this battery can be used for lights?

And which lens do you use? I'm going for a Sigma 30mm 1.4 which I really appreciate, but i'm not finding any adapter for GH2. Do you know?

And I'm starting to make anamorphic jobs in the next week, with an Isco Gottingen 2x. Do you already used it?

I've never used it for lights but if you get the right voltage and a coupler I don't see why not.

I have the voigtlander nokton 17.5 and I use a canon 50mm which is my DPs. The Nokton is a superb lens but a little pricey too at around £1100 but well worth the money i think.

Don't use anamorphic but I do crop my final image to 2:35:1 scope, I do this by taping off my camera monitor and then cropping in vegas.

Back