• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What's the name of this effect?

What do you call the effect where an image is basically repeated over and over at a small time interval difference from the original image and on and on and on so that the original image ends up being, you know, maybe 10 seconds ahead of the new one. What do you call this "video echo"? Can I just call it a repeated image? I'm drawing a blank here, guys.

Here's a YT video to give you a visual of what I'm talking about. Timecode is at 2:20 when the effect starts. The legs at 2:29 is pretty cool.

Also, how can I best get this effect in post with video of a man walking down the street, with an unsteady handheld camera across the street, filming a wide angle shot? I want him to have a "trail" of maybe 10-20 images of his previous self. Need some advice on that.

Thanks guys.

Its usually called "Echo" or "Video Feedback". Theres a preset in After Effects (echo) that will get you started. If you want to do different colors you'll have to work a little harder.

If you only want the trail to come from the man walking, I sense a heavy dose of roto coming your way.

On of okgo's video does this, except they used a green screen and a filter. Someone in studio did it with a light, like they took a cord and spun a light, but I think they used some sort of Luma layer, or alpha creator.

I think you can use a motion control rig and a difference matte under the right lighting conditions. That gets you a much better result than this though, but costs a fortune. Roto is the way to go if you don't like your time and wish there was considerably less of it remaining.

It's more the Echo thing than anything. I do want different colors coming from them all though.
Thanks for your help!

and thatguy, yeah, you really do have to try and drain it out with other music just to get it un-stuck. it pops back up a few weeks later...

Back