What's The Best Title Creator Software?

As discussed, Sony Vegas has really poor title creation utilities that can use a major overall or Sony should subcontract another company to make a title creator utility for them.

And, the title generator in Adobe Premiere came originally from Pinnacle and called Title Dekko. Pinnacle's video editing software has the Title Dekko features.

I forget where the one from Final Cut and Media Creator come from.

Does anyone know any really good title generator program available for video editing software as a plug-in?

I make the titles from I, Creator 2 with Adobe Photoshop and animated them with Vegas and used greenscreen effects to get the cyborgs are Artemis into the design.

But, I want something better for future productions.

After Effects or similar. The title tool in Media Composer is pretty decent, at least for relatively basic titles - but NLEs are not really designed to be able to easily create the kinda titles you can create in AE, much the same way that AE is not designed for the kind of NLE editing you can get in a dedicated NLE.

I looked into Boris Graffiti years and years ago.. YMMV

ppro title tools is good for normal titles and credits.

anything interesting I do in after effects.

One should not do anything interesting with credits and titles until one has an interesting movie..

After Effects is perfect for this, and anything other related to motion graphics. It might take a little longer to make in After Effects, but it'll look great.

I'd say After Effects as well. There are so many options available to add to the overall text. Video Copilot and various other websites have interesting tutorials on how to make awesome looking titles and/or effects to add to them.

C.

For those of you who recommend just the stock text titles with Premiere, I can tell you most no/low budget Indie horror flicks with poor sound distributed by small food chain distributors who friended me on FB are edited with Adobe Premiere just by their use of the stock animated text effects.

But, with studio productions, the animated text effects look way more original and have way better three dimensional animation where what they were made with cannot be detected.

Subtitles in TV shows like Fringe and Warehouse 13 have better three dimensional and original effects than any low/no budget film. The subtitles are woven into fancy transitions into interior scenes from establishing shots. And, I am not even looking at animated show titles.

So, simple text effects are rapidly becoming as yesterday as simple white text with black backgrounds and white text subtitles overlaid over exterior scene establishing shots. There is a style and rhythmic technique used with the whole edit.

I want to step up my game to stay in the game and move up with the times.

I hear AVID Media Composer comes with a good text effects creator. But, I want more options for creating more original animated text. That's why Boris Graffiti sounds so good.

After enough time with Media Composer, I will be able to spot all the stock animated text. And, studio people will be able to spot it too.

But, carry on with your suggestions.

That you can tell from the titles that they used Premiere for the titles doesn't make it a bad program to make titles. It just shows that when you are lazy enough to just use presets (or cheesy effects) people will notice it. That's true for any effect in any program.
(Unless you use the 'make cool movie-plugin': that makes everything awesome ;) )

The origins of the title generator in Premiere aren't important either for users of CS5 or CS6 or CC.
Nice you know such details, but it says nothing about it's possibilities.

Now a real reply ;) :

In Premiere one can make decent and simple titles (and probably some cheesy ones too).
In AE the possibilities are a lot bigger.
But complicating titles doesn't always make them better.
Sometimes the big difference is made by choosing the right font (for example: I would never choose a font with serif for a software override), the right size and spacing between the letters. Ariel will almost always look cheap: no matter what title generator you use.

The right colors can also be helpfull.
Just like location and if appropriate other 'design-elements'.
Combining layers with different effects can also add to the looks of the titles.

I use Premiere a lot for titles, unless I need 'fancier' ones. In that case I'll use After Effects.

I had an interesting discussion about this tonight with a filmmaker visiting from Montreal. She works similar to me using Photoshop to design original titles and use another program for the animation.

I did get lazy for my end credits and used stock. But, I did change fonts and font colors around.

Photoshop allows for even more title possibilities.

But when using Photoshop you can't animate the spacing between letters and lines, while in AE you can.
Anytime you make in Photoshop can only move, zoom, rotate.
In AE you can animate the properties of the actual text.

But that's just technical stuff...

AE all the way. I'll often start in Photoshop, then move to AE, but the end result is essentially the same.

The important point is if you're using any preset title animation tool or plugin your titles aren't going to look that great - they'll always look like everyone else's titles who has the same plugin. If you want great titles you need to learn how to design and create them yourself - or, better yet, find a designer who's well versed in typography and motion design and have them create them.

I think 'knowledge' of graphic design and typography make a bigger difference than which program you use, unless that program doesn't let you change fonts and other text properties.
Bad design cannot be hidden by a better 'title generator'.

And indeed: using plugins makes it look less original. But good design can still make a difference here.

But when using Photoshop you can't animate the spacing between letters and lines, while in AE you can.
Anytime you make in Photoshop can only move, zoom, rotate.
In AE you can animate the properties of the actual text.

But that's just technical stuff...

It can be done by layering each letter of the title seperately, as the filmmaker from Montreal and I discussed. The layers are placed one on top of the other.

The subtitles like you see in Fringe with all those 3D effects that make them part of exterior shots looks like it is done with dedicated 3D software. Some other shows and movies are adopting the style.

Warehouse 13 is very artistic and original.

It can be done by layering each letter of the title seperately, as the filmmaker from Montreal and I discussed. The layers are placed one on top of the other.

In that case you are doing it the very very hard way.
(Very oldschool like cell-animation, but without the charm of cell-animation.)
Yes, it is possible, but you can use that time on other things as well if you (know how to) use After Effects...

The subtitles like you see in Fringe with all those 3D effects that make them part of exterior shots looks like it is done with dedicated 3D software. Some other shows and movies are adopting the style.

That's an effect in After Effects that's been available for at least 5 or 6 years already.
Tutorial I Googled for you:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxsKNPS0WLQ‎

(But yes, it can be done with 3D software too)

About Warehouse 13:
I've never heard of it, but watched the maintitles.
Looks very good.
Nice subtile font, nice gradient and nice placement and movement.
Such placement and movement we could already see in a more simple way in "Once Upon a time in the West".
The logo is well designed.
And the imagery in the titlesequence is wonderful: great atmosphere :)

All can be done in After Effects.

More tutorials, but now for Premiere Pro:
http://www.castleforgemedia.com/tag/easy-and-epic-titles/

Last edited:
Back