• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What's it like to write a bomb?

Came across this gem from the screenwriter of the new Conan the Barbarian flop, Sean Hood.

Unfortunately, the work I do as a script doctor is hard to defend if the movie flops. I know that those who have read my Conan shooting script agree that much of the work I did on story and character never made it to screen. I myself know that given the difficulties of rewriting a script in the middle of production, I did work that I can be proud of. But it's still much like doing great work on a losing campaign. All anyone in the general public knows, all anyone in the industry remembers, is the flop. A loss is a loss.

Read the entire post at:

http://www.quora.com/Whats-it-like-to-have-your-film-flop-at-the-box-office

Bio here http://www.quora.com/Sean-Hood

As much as I can, I try to stay up with many of the releases.

It just echoes reality. You will bomb. Whether its a movie, a pitch, a presentation or a meeting, you will bomb and will do it most likely many more times than once. I like looking at Woody Allen's career. He's had less that stellar films and many personal issues. He keeps making a film a year and just last year he had his best box office year yet.

Just keep going.

Watch Tales from the script.

Sometimes it's not the writers fault. Executives, or directors alter the script a lot. In the documentary they say they have to pay for those changes, and the writer for Bloodrayne said they changed 80% of her script.

Majestic opening - screenwriting clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XYa6JzjG4

Well, writing a bomb is one thing, and I think we all accept that its a hazard of the job, but having a director/producer/whoever "ruin" it is another.

I know that, personally, my hardest moments have been when I've been hired by someone to write a screenplay and direct and then they start "tweaking it just a little bit, but not too much." Which weakens the work. The hardest part is when you show it to people and they don't know which parts you had 100% control over and which you don't.

But, I suppose both just come with the territory.

Watch Tales from the script.

Sometimes it's not the writers fault. Executives, or directors alter the script a lot. In the documentary they say they have to pay for those changes, and the writer for Bloodrayne said they changed 80% of her script.

Majestic opening - screenwriting clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XYa6JzjG4

Nice. Haven't seen that before.

But, yeah, features and such are not a writer's medium. If you want to have that kind of power as a writer then move to television. Features are a director's medium, which kind of sucks for the writer because, along with the producer and director, when it's a bad movie all three catch heat.

Writers have even fewer outlets to defend their work.

Nice. Haven't seen that before.

But, yeah, features and such are not a writer's medium. If you want to have that kind of power as a writer then move to television. Features are a director's medium, which kind of sucks for the writer because, along with the producer and director, when it's a bad movie all three catch heat.

Writers have even fewer outlets to defend their work.

I know. They talk about that in the documentary "Tales from the script". They said if you don't like people changing your work, which is going to happen then "insert advice".

lol I didn't see the Majestic until like 4 months ago. It was a good movie, I don't know why some people think it's bad.

I know. They talk about that in the documentary "Tales from the script". They said if you don't like people changing your work, which is going to happen then "insert advice".

Oh crazy. Yeah now I need to go and watch that!!! You've only really got a few choices. Do your own work is one of 'em.

Just recently I was invited to bid and meet on a feature film with a budget three times the size of my last. I'd be on as Director only (director for hire) which was an awesome feeling... but, I had a few issues with the script and honestly, even as a writer that knows I'd be a little miffed if someone wanted to "adjust" my material...

I was going to require another draft be done, and more than likely I'd put my hands on it in the re-write phase. For that reason I had to decline, unless the writer and producers felt that any of my points were valuable and wanted to revisit the content.

It just kinda is what it is, and that does suck. =[

Back