Whats a good camera for a limited budget

I've just finished writing a few short storys and would like to film them (pratice), but I know very little about camera's and other filming (mic's, lighting) equipment. Can someone take me to school. Also Im not looking for the latest and greatest equipment, since I've never filmed anything before. If you need more info let me know.

Willing to spend around $500 for the camera. Plus I need software; that I will not worry about cost. I heard Sony vegas pro is pretty good, but any other software suggestions, Im all ears. Plus is a good mic nessessary? or can I get a good camera with a good mic attached? Willing to go over 500 if camera has good mic. FYI mic's, I dont know anything, so any suggestions will help. And also was thinking of a Canon HV20 or is that too home video (ancient)? I saw a short film on Youtube with this camera & sony vegas pro and was very impressed. Take a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHyIST8ZOlM

Willing to spend around $500 for the camera.
The Canon HV20 is a fine camera.

Read THIS discussion about cameras and making movies.

Plus is a good mic nessessary? or can I get a good camera with a good mic attached? Willing to go over 500 if camera has good mic.
A good mic is essential. Most beginners do not put enough effort into
audio and their movies suffer.

The further away the mic is from the actors, the higher the volume
needs to be. The higher the volume, the more “noise” you get. Your
goal is to have a very high signal to noise ratio - more signal
(the dialogue) less noise (the background). Even a very good,
expensive Sennheiser mounted on the camera will pick up a lot of
background ambiance because it’s far away from the actors.

I saw a short film on Youtube with this camera & sony vegas pro and was very impressed. Take a look
Impressive.

They could have used a Flip (or even an iPhone) camera and iMovie or
WMM and it still would have been good. No dialogue so they didn't need
a mic, no lighting, all auto focus. What made that movie good was the
talent of the guys. Good editing, creative shots, nice pacing and good
sound effects. They used music they didn't have permission to use, but
that's okay for a "test" film.

Do you have the talent and creativity to make a movie like that? If you
do any camera in your price range will be fine. I'm serious; go to any Best
Buy with $500 and pick up any camera and with talent and creativity you
can make a movie like that one. It wasn't the camera or the software that
made that movie impressive - it was the people making the movie.

Get the Canon and start shooting!

I read somewhere that the HV20 only shoots SD though. Might be better if you got one that shot at HD like the HV30 or 40 since HD is the new SD in filmmaking standards.

The HV20 does 1440x1080 when recording to tape (so it's basically 4:3 HD rather than 16:9 HD), but can put out a live signal that's 1920x1080. From what I've read, anyway.

I had a Hv30 it is ok for what it is(HD consumer camcorder). I just Felt that i picked up alot of grain when ever their wasn't blinding lights. I switched to the Gh1 witch i got new for the price i sold my hv30 for. The Gh1 is far supperior in overall quality and low light shooting. I highly recemend the Gh1. But i wouldnt pay over 250 for a HvXX...I just feel it wouldnt be worth it.

Oh ya, I was misinformed then. Will a lot of people in the business, accept 4:3, since it's not being used much anymore?

Letterbox it.

You shouldn't worry about the people "in the business" because they are not helping you with $$$. Techies that put equipment ahead of contents should be avoided at all costs. Even if you sell your project for 6 figures, they'll still be ridiculing you over your choice of equipment.

The ONLY people you need to care about is the people (or person) that will buy your film (or project). The questions are this: do you have a compelling story to tell? Are you skilled with the filmmaking techniques needed to get the best images possible (regardless of format)?

Good luck.

Last edited:
I've just finished writing a few short storys and would like to film them (pratice), but I know very little about camera's and other filming (mic's, lighting) equipment. Can someone take me to school. Also Im not looking for the latest and greatest equipment, since I've never filmed anything before. If you need more info let me know.

Im in your shoes sort of. I need all purpose camera that takes video buat also a camer i can use to take a photography class (havent been in a photo class since high school and digital anything wasent even thought of yet..LOL
so i fount this youtube review

http://youtu.be/rHDDQjjNIdU

verry helpful and along the lines what everyone else says here!

Back