What would YOU get -- T2i or 60d?

Hello Indietalk people!

Apologies if this sounds like another "differences between the two cameras" post. I don't need a specs comparison -- I've already researched that. What I am interested in is how important the differences between the T2i and 60d are, to help me ultimately decide which camera I should get.

So without further ado, here are the main spec differences that I've seen between the T2i and 60d (if there are other ones that I missed, please feel free to enlighten me):

-60d has 1/8000 shutter speed, vs T2i's 1/4000
-60d (allegedly) has 2-3 times longer battery life than the T2i
-60d has manual audio levels while the T2i does not (Sidenote: I haven't yet decided if I'll invest in an external audio recorder or not. I currently only have a cheap shotgun mic)
-60d has separate buttons to control shutter and aperture (will the aperture button matter if it's a manual lens?)
-60d has a vari-angle screen while the T2i does not
-Everything I've read has said that the 60d has virtually no overheating issues, while the T2i does

With these differences in mind I'd like to know -- how important are they to you personally and why? Considering I'm on a very tight budget (I can afford a 60d with the basic accessories, but barely), are the benefits of a 60d worth an extra $200-$300?

If you need any more background, I am not planning to shoot Lord of the Rings with this. I AM, however, hoping that it will last me quite a while, and that it's something I can grow into. I want to make short films and web videos with it (that's what I have in mind initially, at least).

I want to get one of these cameras very soon, so thanks a ton for any and all help!

Last edited:
Body-only will not make you movies. The kits which have the things you need (memory cards, card reader, camera bag, lens cleaning supplies, etc.) are that difference. The 60D is usually sold with a 135 lens compared to the 55. I highly recommend the kit lens for video.

No. I bought a spare battery and the filming I did on vacation (every 15 mins I would take about 5 mins of video) it lasted me the whole day without recharging.

Never overheated.

Sounds like you have everything figured out and you know all about it. Why ask if you're going to reply with everything figured out?

Sounds like you have everything figured out and you know all about it. Why ask if you're going to reply with everything figured out?
Because, while I may know the specs, I don't have experience with DSLRs in a practical sense. I wanted to get some people's opinions who do have the experience to see if the differences are worth it.

For example, the overheating. I didn't know how exaggerated the overheating stories were that I've read, so it's good to know that it may not be a huge issue.

But you have brought up another issue, too. I'm going back and forth on getting the body with an 18-55 lens. I already own a cheap 35-80mm kit lens for my parents' old Rebel G and an equally cheap 70-300mm. I want to get the 18-55 for some wider-angle shots but I didn't know much about their quality.

I'm planning on starting out with the body, one prime, maybe the 18-55 kit lens, and a few batteries/memory cards.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Okay, there's a new development in the story. I just got an offer from Craigslist to sell me a T2i (used, obviously) with 2 batteries and a 16GB memory card for $600 total. This widens the gap between the 60d/T3i even more, but the question still stands. Are the T3i/60d still worth it given a lower price for the T2i?

And remember, I'm asking for other people's opinions on the value/merits of the specs above and why you stand where you do.

Thanks!

If I were forced to get a Canon I would get the T3i. Unless you have a monitor, I should think the lack of an articulating screen would limit your shot selection somewhat. However, I'm still of the opinion that the GH2 is the superior video capture 'DSLR' to get at the moment.

EDIT: That's a pretty nice deal for the T2i. I would probably take it if I were desperate for a camera and had the cash on hand.

@Wombat Yeah, I really considered the GH2. The things that held me back from it were a slightly higher price than the 60d and it doesn't capture 60 fps. At the moment I have really basic/no gear, so that means no monitor.

@Wombat Yeah, I really considered the GH2. The things that held me back from it were a slightly higher price than the 60d and it doesn't capture 60 fps. At the moment I have really basic/no gear, so that means no monitor.
It records 60i, and I'm fairly certain the T2i, T3i, and 60D all shoot in 60i only as well.

I have a T2i, and love it. But I would gladly pay a couple hundred dollars extra to get an LCD screen that flips out, and moves, and stuff. Don't just look at the 60D, though. Look at the T3i, and the GH2, as well.

Based on stuff I've heard, I'd probably go with the 60D, but I'm not in the market for a camera, so I haven't done a lot of research in comparing them, so my knowledge is limited. Do lots of research, but it'd definitely be smart, in my opinion, to go with any of the three I mentioned, not the T2i.

I think if you are using the camera for mainly video go with the T2i or T3i, the 60D costs more mostly because of features that relate to still photography. The T2i and T3i have the same sensor so you would get similar video quality as stated in an earlier post the T3i has a flip out screen which would be helpful for video. I would go with the deal on the T2i and put the extra money towards a good lense which will last a lifetime unlike the camera body itself which you will most likely have to upgrade every few years to stay current.

At 1080, though? I know the GH2 shoots 60p at 720 but only 60i at 1080, and I thought it was the same case with the Canons.

Out of curiosity, are you using the 60fps for slow motion?

The Canons shoot 60p, but only at 720. They don't shoot interlaced (and I'm inclined to believe that the GH2 doesn't either, but I don't know for sure).

P.S. Welcome back; haven't seen you in quite some time!

The Canons shoot 60p, but only at 720. They don't shoot interlaced (and I'm inclined to believe that the GH2 doesn't either, but I don't know for sure).
It does indeed shoot 60i at 1080, but it's at a lower bit rate than than 24p.

P.S. Welcome back; haven't seen you in quite some time!
Turns out all those Waldenesque retreats you hear about are even more boring than you would expect them to be.

I want to keep the option for slow motion open, so I really want something that does 60p. Another reason I want to get a Canon is because I have a friend who is related to a photographer, who uses a 5d mkII with some crazy-nice lenses, and there's a chance that I might be able to borrow some lenses in the future.

These are great opinions so far -- exactly what I wanted to hear. So what are some opinions on getting a 18-55 kit lens and a T2i (considering the deal) vs. a T3i/60d?

Thanks again everybody!

I want to keep the option for slow motion open, so I really want something that does 60p. Another reason I want to get a Canon is because I have a friend who is related to a photographer, who uses a 5d mkII with some crazy-nice lenses, and there's a chance that I might be able to borrow some lenses in the future.

These are great opinions so far -- exactly what I wanted to hear. So what are some opinions on getting a 18-55 kit lens and a T2i (considering the deal) vs. a T3i/60d?

Thanks again everybody!
You won't get 60p at 1080 on a budget camera. Both the GH2 and the Canon cameras shoot 60p at 720, while the GH2 has the capability to shoot 60i at 1080. The GH2 can use all types of lenses (with the appropriate adapters), whereas with the Canons you're pretty much limited to Canon lenses. Also, the GH2 has been hacked, and while it's kind of unstable once it's finalized you should be able to shoot at around 50Mbps, roughly double what the Canons are capable of. Truly, it's a monster of a camera.

Sorry to sound like a Panasonic fanboy, I just think the GH2 is the best budget camera to come along in quite some time. It's extremely versatile and quite powerful for under $1000. The Canons are great, too, though. You'll be happy with whatever you purchase, though you may regret some of the faults of the T2i when the 60D and T3i are available.

Okay, thanks for that post. I did mean 60p at 720 -- in my opinion, anything on the web won't be watched by the vast majority of people in 1080p anyway, so that's not a big issue for me.

You have me seriously considering a GH2 again, but it seems like it's just out of my price range. I found http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736365-REG/Panasonic_DMC_GH2K_K_Lumix_DMC_GH2_Digital_Camera.html from B&H for $1000. I have about $1200 total right now, and I think I'd be ahead to get a lens to a cheaper camera with the same amount of money (if you disagree, please let me know and why).

Although I will admit, the GH2 is a much more hipster camera, which is appealing to me in its own way :D

Last edited:
Well, assuming you've already planned on audio stuff and have specifically set aside $1200 for your camera...

The kit lens that comes with the GH2 is supposed to be very good. Combine that with a 50mm f/1.4 prime and a 28mm f/2.8 JCPenney and you should have a pretty versatile selection to choose from. They're pretty cheap as are the adapters necessary to use them.

EDIT: Oh, that's the 14-42mm lens. That's supposed to be okay, but the 14-140mm is supposed to be amazing for video. If you buy the GH2, either buy it with the 14-140mm or just buy the body. The 14-140mm kit is more expensive, but you end up saving quite a bundle since the lens by itself is in the $700 range.

Last edited:
Back