What would you build and why?

If money was not an option, what would the specs be for your PC?
Do you have a favorite graphics card? Which and Why?
Do you have a fav mother board? Which and why?

Let's have your DREAM MACHINE:

You're such a nerd- computers suck....

Oh.... alright... I LOVE COMPUTERS (and star trek), I CONSENT! Alien ware computer baby! All the way!

I want dual processors, and silicon cooling!
I want a computer that would decode the human genome faster than you can translate the value of Pi!!

I don't care what the specs are, as long as the numbers are really big and it's expensive.
Lol

-Logan

Asus MB I have had good luck with them. I also like Aopen thats what all my working computers are now.

I tend to like the 64 bit AMD processors jsut for the fact they will run both 32 and 64 bit code. A little future proofing in this transitional period.

Vidoe card Hmmm! If I went with a Matrox HD system I would use the parhelea with component out. If I went with a VT4 that has component out on the board then I would go with the latest Nvidea card.

Ram 4 Gig minimum fastest I could find.

HD space for video ultra scsi 640 ( ? ) Raid 1Terabit at least. System SATA150 or faster 100 Gig, and for audio SATA 150 200Gig.

Monitor (2) 19" LCD at 12ms refresh rate. and 40" Plazma HD video monitor.

Yamaha THX theater sound system connected to some really good sound card. with Bose speakers.

Input devices Wacom 20" video tablet, flat bed scanner from epson, opitical mouse, keyboard with custom markings for what ever editing system I use.

And just to be flashy lights lots of lights and clear pannels on the case.

:cool:

One thing I've noticed about the AMD-64 based boards is that many don't have built-in Firewire ports. Call me a traditionalist, but I like Firewire over USB 2.0 especially for video connections.

I've noticed a marked difference in rendering times using my dual-CPU machine over a faster single-CPU machine. (The toilet-cooled twin-CPU runs AMD Athlon XP2400's and the single-CPU machine is 2.8GHz)

If you can afford a dual AMD-64 machine, I'd say go for it - even if there's no native Firewire support on the motherboard. You might be able to pick up an inexpensive Intel Xeon multi-CPU machine, I haven't looked at prices recently.

Definitely pack the machine with as much RAM as you can - and try to get the fastest the motherboard will support.

SATA RAID is no doubt the best option for drives. You'll probably want to stripe the array rather than stripe & mirror, unless you absolutely need to keep an active backup.

Video cards - well, the options (and "standards") seem to change more frequently these days than ever before. I'll pass on giving any advice on video cards.

CootDog said:
If money was not an option, what would the specs be for your PC?

Let's have your DREAM MACHINE:

PC???

After getting my Mac it's hard to turn the PC back on. Not because the Mac is faster but because the OS is so cool....ok it's because it's faster, but I still dig the Mac for the OS and it's simplicity.

Specs come and go but as of right now I'll take my Dual 2.0 G5 with 4.5gigs of ram (with room to grow). Now that I said that I can see Apple coming out with a duel core or quadruple core machine...damn. I need to get an external drive or drives (working on it), and a new top of the line graphics card would be nice.

The 30" LCD would be nice too but who needs those when in like five years I'll be editing like Tom Cruise in Minority Report. I need one of those displays now! :lol:

Rick

Back