What would u like to see adapted as a movie?

Orsen Scott Card's "Enders Game" Great science fiction paced perfectly for a film.

Also a Richard Bachman Novella "Rage" I know that Stephen King has been done, poorly more often than not, but I have always thought that this particular story would adapt well. It may not be recieved well since its about a student that kills his teacher and holds the class hostage. It would also make for a great low budget film (minus buying the rights, of course) since it takes place mostly in a classroom.

Hell even an hour long episode of the Simpsons would be great.. but I would love to see a feature. Southpark and Beavis & Butthead had their theatrical time... Simpsons is long overdue.

Will Vincent said:
Hell even an hour long episode of the Simpsons would be great.. but I would love to see a feature. Southpark and Beavis & Butthead had their theatrical time... Simpsons is long overdue.

the best thing about the Simpsons I felt was its economical story telling - all the 'fat' (exposition, uneeded scenes in terms of the plot) were trimmed off. i just wonder if they can now string something out for 90mins, when they are so used to making it25mins, and so well - but they write it so well, it must be gold.
another book i would love to see made into film - Herland - very interesting work.

i do know something i would NOT like to see.... and thats another Pokemon movie.... ughhhh....

but something that would be good would be a film based on Artimus Fowl books.... it would fit into the harry potter style film and would be pretty cool....

Before it's all said and done Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie will be seen on the big screen, and it will be spectacular.

All the adaptations I would like to see are ones that I would like to adapt, so I will keep my outh shut on those.

Now, I wouldn't mind adaptations of anything by Chuck Palahniuk (especially Diary), and I am looking forward to the adaptation of The Lovely Bones.

Poke

Poke said:
Chuck Palahniuk (especially Diary), Poke

is that the one in the first person of a reforming anorexic? or did she lose a husband (hers obviously?)
i like him, hes like a contemporary pre-clockwork orange burgess.

clive said:
Robert Redford once bought the option on "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence" by Robert Persig
does that have anything to do with "Zen and the art of landscaping"? because i saw the short film of that and i really enjoyed it.

as for me i would love to see more edgar allan poe stories being adapted, but still keeping true to the original story.
i would love to see animations of some of my favourites comics like "Squee" & "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" by Jhonen Vasquez, and "Lenore" by Roman Dirge. But it would only work if it was animations.
and i would love to see "The Raging Quiet" by Sherryl Jordan become a movie, it is such a beautiful story and deserves only the best if it was to be adapted

Other than the similar title, I'd have to say no... there are a lot of "Zen and the art of..." books, most look like they're by different authors, and I don't think they even share a common publisher.

Just for fun, I've been adapting the first series of "Robotech" into a screenplay.
It's my dream to write and direct a big screen adaptation of it. I think it would just translate so well onto film!

~ Stephen

indierochester said:
Just for fun, I've been adapting the first series of "Robotech"

Robotech would be great indeed.

There's a lot of history in the Battlemech universe too... long overdue for a real adaptation.

(This reminded me that Appleseed was something I needed to go get. :cool: )

Neon Genisis: Evangelion would be excellent if it wasn't americanised, last I heard there was a film in the works with Daniel Ratcliffe as Shinji, I almost cried when I heard that, in all the history of bad casting, that is at the top. You can't cast a british kid in the role of japanese kid, it just doesn't work that way.

as for me i would love to see more edgar allan poe stories being adapted, but still keeping true to the original story.

yes-yes-yes. Now when you say true to the original do you mean as a period piece? I think if done right could be modern day and still stay true. Talk about a yummy ultra-low budget short.

if were doing short stories, how about some O Henry.

Mikey D said:
yes-yes-yes. Now when you say true to the original do you mean as a period piece? I think if done right could be modern day and still stay true. Talk about a yummy ultra-low budget short.

Actually, there are a lot of Poe adaptations out there.

"The Tell-tale Heart" is one of the most common ones.

Edgar Allen Poe, Robert Louis Stevenson and Rudyard Kipling all have classic short tales to tell, that are easily adaptable and always popular regardless of the time period it is placed in.

The ones that tend to be adapted also tend to be the ones that everyone else has done as, as well. That is good... in that everyone will recognise the story for what it is, and you have a base... and it's bad, because, well, everyone has done it and you are not creating anything (relatively) new.

Part of the appeal for doing more interpretations of these authors may have to do with expiration of the copyrights, as well. :cool:

_______

I'd like to see a lot more adaptations of older works... I'd like it even more if filmmakers were willing to bring to life the other stories (by the same authors) that get passed over so quickly.

:D

Dimp Paddy said:
Neon Genisis: Evangelion would be excellent if it wasn't americanised, last I heard there was a film in the works with Daniel Ratcliffe as Shinji, I almost cried when I heard that, in all the history of bad casting, that is at the top. You can't cast a british kid in the role of japanese kid, it just doesn't work that way.

But you could cast me as Asuka. haha.

I would like to see a really good adaptation of A Seperate Peace. I know a TV version was made last year, but from what I've heard it doesn't even live up to the original big screen adaptation which in my opinion falls way short of the book.

Poke

i have finished reading Angela Carter's 'The Passion of New Eve'.
it deserves to be made and made again and a-bloody-gain.
sad thing - many books work upon the basis of a partnership between writer + reader. with each reader coming to the book with so many different experiences in life, the images that each partnership draws from the book will be different. i think thats why so many films of books have been let downs, because in film there is less space to interpret (visually) - and many people see them and go 'oh, well thats not how i saw it'.

i have finished reading Angela Carter's 'The Passion of New Eve', it deserves to be made and made again and a-bloody-gain.

Your post reminded me of another Carter book, ' Nights at the Circus', I think that'd be interesting to see.

Last edited:
Back