What was your "Eureka" moment-discovering filmmaking

Two part question, really-or it can be either/or:

What was your "Eureka" moment when you found yourself saying "Hey, I really love/enjoy working with Video media/filmmaking".

Also, a "Eureka moment" where you discovered how to do something accidently or found a different/better way of doing something.(Note this could be something that maybe "common knowledge", but you figured it out without being "told".

For me, I've always enjoyed watching movies, and wondering how they did it. It was only when I took a Media Fundamentals program that I really found "Hey, I can do this!". Not to mention that when I'm on here, I actually almost know what I'm talking about sometimes ;)

As for something discovered, accidently putting a frame in premiere without a person beside the same footage with a person and discovering how to make them "disappear":D I giggled like a little schoolgirl! ;)

I decided to go from Photography into Filmmaking on my birthday last year (one of those what do I want to do next year moments). So I got a small camera and started to make some quick shorts and get some practice with framing, lighting in a moving world (oh and don't forget sound, that was a new one for me).

My "Eureka" moment so far came when I took a 1 day course on filmmaking 101 on a dime. At that point I was pretty sure I could make a film but still hesitant, well by the end of the day I knew I could do it!

I'm sure I'll have more eureka moments when I finish up my first serious short film, and again once I actual complete a feature film but I'm now sure that its only a matter of time until that happens.

When I was really little and me, my brother and cousins made a short comedy with lego and other various toys that actually made my parents and uncles and aunts etc laugh. I was like, "Hey this is actually pretty good, I should do this more often." Thats how it began....lol

I create training videos for the company I work for. I started getting more creative and then realized I'd love to do this more. So a few paychecks later I had a ton of equipment that I had no idea how to use and I was off to the races. Been a great ride so far!

re

I was obsessed and crazy excited about seeing The Dark Knight after seeing the trailer in late 2007. (Had not seen Batman Begins or been Batman fan, but think Heath had a lot to do with it) Then seeing it it just impacted me so much, and even today I cannot completely comprehend why. Seeing Chris Nolan's other films made me realize that I would enjoy this side of movies. (I had previously wanted to be a screen actor.)

I have always made videos (although ameteur and silly) and LOVED it, but i have no idea why the idea of being a filmmaker had not come to me earlier.
I actually also always wrote stories. My "novels". I also told stories to friends, but I could tell I didn't want to exactly tell stories in those ways. I think I have always wanted to tell stories, and finally I found my medium. It was the perfect match.
I honestly think I like the story aspect more than the techie side, though.
(Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge film techie geek):)

My parents bought me a ukulele when I was 4 years old.

I then taught myself how to play the guitar.

Voila.

Last edited:
In January I was directing a short I had written...the set was my sister's house. Everything was going according to schedule and we had some great stuff in the can. The last setup was in the tiny bathroom and we had three cameras in there, the shower on, two boom ops recording to separate field recorders, and three actors. I was on the floor, almost in the fetal position because there was just no room, and watching the feed from camera A reflected downward via a shaving mirror. My neck was stiff, I had a charlie horse in my thigh, and as I yelled "cut" on the last take I realized I was the happiest I had ever been in my life.

In January I was directing a short I had written...the set was my sister's house. Everything was going according to schedule and we had some great stuff in the can. The last setup was in the tiny bathroom and we had three cameras in there, the shower on, two boom ops recording to separate field recorders, and three actors. I was on the floor, almost in the fetal position because there was just no room, and watching the feed from camera A reflected downward via a shaving mirror. My neck was stiff, I had a charlie horse in my thigh, and as I yelled "cut" on the last take I realized I was the happiest I had ever been in my life.

I've heard of directors getting bent out of shape, you take it to the next level!:lol: Seriously, I can see that, kind of a dawning "hey, I've made a film here, with lights, sound, actors and everything!" That's awesome.

I had a second(though much smaller) Eureka moment the other day I was told about garbage mattes (I believe one was Dreadylocks and related. I kind of understood, but it was only doing it with two scenes and how I could "piece" two shots together(I was trying to get a mirror reflection but cut the "person" out the shot-so the room looked empty except the reflection). When I did it it was like YES!!!! :D. If I didn't live so far away I'd buy her and those that helped me a coffee :lol:

It was sort of gradual for me. I'd grown up watching tons and tons of movies and reciting them from memory and imitating them. I got into acting, then into writing, film was just the next logical step. The first movie I made was really modest, the next was a little more complicated and things just kept going and now I'll be doing a feature length musical this summer.

The biggest "ah-ha" moment for me as a filmmaker? The realization that when you think to yourself "you can't do that" your response should be "why not?" and you should figure out how to prove yourself (or people) wrong.

It was sort of gradual for me. I'd grown up watching tons and tons of movies and reciting them from memory and imitating them. I got into acting, then into writing, film was just the next logical step. The first movie I made was really modest, the next was a little more complicated and things just kept going and now I'll be doing a feature length musical this summer.

The biggest "ah-ha" moment for me as a filmmaker? The realization that when you think to yourself "you can't do that" your response should be "why not?" and you should figure out how to prove yourself (or people) wrong.

I like the cut of your jib Mr(or Ms)! :) Great attitude to have, and is a little bit of what inspired me to do my first short (currently in reediting mode)

A bunch of my friends and I in HS were making a stupid improv in-camera edited short. Spider-man was holed up in the bathroom and we were using Gilbert Gottfried as a battering ram to break down the door... don't ask. As my friends swung our impersonator at the door, I paused the camera, then went inside the bathroom and hit record as they all burst through the door. It was a perfect cut with an accidental match on action and I was hooked at the power of the edit.

I don't remember ever not wanting to be a filmmaker. I surely knew what I was gonna do by the time I was 5.
As for the second question, I dunno. After a quarter of a century, I still learn new things everyday. I've never yelled Eureka.

i haven't exactly done any filmmaking YET.. and this is my first post, but i might as well share..

i'm 19 years old and a college dropout. i dropped out late march for a variety of reasons, depression being one of them. i was taking accounting... one day i just had a mental breakdown of some sort. i don't know how to explain but i didn't feel like my own person. i didn't understand why i was doing the things i was doing. clearly i was unhappy. the only reason i wanted to become an accountant is because i wanted to be that dude in the suit driving the fancy car. i didn't want to be in accounting because i loved it, i wanted it for the wrong reasons.

initially i was thinking of becoming an author instead. when i listen to music i always think of particular scenes from movies that go with it. i like creative writing and i've had plenty of teachers comment me on my writing. i started writing a novel this past december but i haven't been able to continue it any further.. writer's block =(.

i've always loved movies, who doesn't love movies lol? but unlike others (not you guys obviously), i find myself more passionate about them than others. i remember first watching taxi driver and being BLOOOWN AWAY by it. i hate to sound like a film snob but the ending scene for that was fukking genius in every way, atleast i think. i alwaaaaaaays find myself discussing movies with people. anyways.. i figured why the helll not? as far fetched of a dream it maybe, it is possible (a wise man once told me that :)). i'm young and i've got plenty of mistakes to make. i'd rather die thinking it didn't happen cause it didn't, and not looking back thinking what if? maybe i had something in me? you know what i'm saying?

i haven't exactly done any filmmaking YET.. and this is my first post, but i might as well share..

i'm 19 years old and a college dropout. i dropped out late march for a variety of reasons, depression being one of them. i was taking accounting... one day i just had a mental breakdown of some sort. i don't know how to explain but i didn't feel like my own person. i didn't understand why i was doing the things i was doing. clearly i was unhappy. the only reason i wanted to become an accountant is because i wanted to be that dude in the suit driving the fancy car. i didn't want to be in accounting because i loved it, i wanted it for the wrong reasons.

initially i was thinking of becoming an author instead. when i listen to music i always think of particular scenes from movies that go with it. i like creative writing and i've had plenty of teachers comment me on my writing. i started writing a novel this past december but i haven't been able to continue it any further.. writer's block =(.

i've always loved movies, who doesn't love movies lol? but unlike others (not you guys obviously), i find myself more passionate about them than others. i remember first watching taxi driver and being BLOOOWN AWAY by it. i hate to sound like a film snob but the ending scene for that was fukking genius in every way, atleast i think. i alwaaaaaaays find myself discussing movies with people. anyways.. i figured why the helll not? as far fetched of a dream it maybe, it is possible (a wise man once told me that :)). i'm young and i've got plenty of mistakes to make. i'd rather die thinking it didn't happen cause it didn't, and not looking back thinking what if? maybe i had something in me? you know what i'm saying?

I do know what you're saying :) I remember those days well. You've got a lot of roads open to you!

Back