What was so good about The Evil Dead?

The best thing about the Evil Dead is that it was filmed on my fathers land near Morristown Tennessee. I was young and didn't care about making films but after seeing the Evil Dead's ("Book of the dead" at the time) set and all the activity involved it created the desire in me. Funny because it was a low budget small operation but to a young kid it was massive. At the time I had no clue who Samuel Raimi was hell no one did but my Father (Who still has no clue who Sam is) let him use the land for free as long as my older brother and his best friend who were into super 8 films could help out on set. I was lucky enough to visit the set a couple of times.

That's pretty cool. Is the cabin still there? :cool:

re

I did not like Evil Dead 1 as much as Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. The first evil dead tried to be a more serious horror movie and failed because it was so cheesy. The evil dead 2 actually was cheese too but more of a comedy and so was Army of Darkness and that is why I liked them. Army of Darkness is my favorite.

Last edited:
Army of Darkness has so many quotable lines. I liked that in the third film he doesn't care about the Deadites any more in the sense that he isn't afraid of them and they are more of an annoyance to him than a threat.

I'll enjoy a bad horror film a thousand times more than most comedies. But we're in the minority there, and that's okay too.

That's one of the saddest things I've ever read. :(:no::(:no:

Like watching one of those commercials about the starving children.

(Single Tear)

Like watching one of those commercials about the starving children.

(Single Tear)

Most comedies are simply unfunny, ham-fisted and forced with a massive over-reliance on "how awkward can we make this situation" type setups. Incidentally I'd say it's my least favorite genre for film.

Most comedies are simply unfunny, ham-fisted and forced with a massive over-reliance on "how awkward can we make this situation" type setups. Incidentally I'd say it's my least favorite genre for film.

Most are, yes. That's why you gotta keep track of the writers, directors, and actors you like. I've never been steered wrong by anyone in my list of favorites, except Bill Murray, who switched to drama (and not good drama)

It's cool. We probably don't like the same music either ;) But it's a big world, and there's room for all sorts of different tastes!

And I really like some of Bill Murray's recent work (Lost In Translation, Broken Flowers, Life Aquatic, and his bit in Coffee and Cigarettes was great)

Back