• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What Type Of Effect Is This?

Hello, just came across this very cool video. I was wondering what effect is used in this. The effect where the camera is panning throughout the still image, all in the beginning, up until the people start to move. I know I've seen a tutorial on how to do it. But I cannot seem to find it anymore. I want to try to use it in an upcoming video.

Video Link: http://www.vimeo.com/30016668

Last edited:
Can you be more specific? There is an entire short film there.
I edited the question. It's the effect where the camera is panning throughout the still image, all in the beginning, up until the people start to move.

Or are they all just standing still, perfectly.

But I know there is an effect for this.

Last edited:
In the last one, i can see the girl and the book move a little bit so i guess they were standing just standing still. Since he did that for the last one, he may have done them for all the other ones as well. But it does look really still, so idk if it was an effect or they were just standing still.

Look for the girl and the book in the last one.

I dont think there is even 3d tracking involved.. the text doesn't actually move in 3d, and only once is its even a little masked.

Looks like plain old point tracking and sticking to me. Watch the text, its like an old video game sprite..

That said, that was a pretty cool film. The TRYING TO HOLD STILL is part of the story and not just a lazy effects thing..

Yeah, it's definitely a practical effect. The people are just holding very, very still. I was in a play like that in high school and it was absolute hell trying to stay that still in front of a live audience (especially when we were in a state-wide competition and half the cast had some kind of nasty stomach bug).

I dont think there is even 3d tracking involved.. the text doesn't actually move in 3d, and only once is its even a little masked.

The text exists in 3D space with parallax motion, so I think it is tracked in a form of 3D, at least with depth, width, and height. There is a Z-space element to all the text in placed in the scenes.

Im not convinced, I know I know.. I being difficult.

The only shot that I cant QUITE prove is the boardroom and the shoes.. I cant see WHICH point would tracked in my suggested technique ..

So maybe maybe ...

not likely fully 3d match moving with camera solves.. but the 2.5 D variation with planar tracking ..

neat effect, I might try it with some dolly footage for fun..

very cool short i enjoyed it..
the effect can be done using 2.5d tracking or even mocha...sytheyes or bojou can work as well..
personally i'd use cameratracker from foundry for this..
when the text goes behind the person its a simple roto...

I would absolutely agree with 2.5D for the text and just holding still for the actors. I used the 2.5D in Scavengers and it sold as 3D match moves (erased both foreground and background elements in the same shot).

Back