What type of camera was used in this short film? (you probably get this a lot)

As stated in the title, I'm sure you fella's get this a million times a day. But I'd really appreciate it if somebody could tell me what type of camera or lens was used in this short film.

I'm a complete and utter camera-newb and was wondering what kind of price range I'd be looking at to capture a short film in the same or similar quality as this one:

https://vimeo.com/115435198

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

Unfortunately it's not really possible to tell with much certainty what a film was shot on just by looking at it. If you really want to know the exact kit used I would suggest sending a message to the filmmaker.

That being said a great camera isn't going to guarantee you will get the same quality. That takes planning and skill and very little of it even has to do with the camera. Go grab a simple light kit, a dslr or other inexpensive interchangeable lens camera and start practicing! Don't spend more than $300 on your first camera if you can helpit.

yeah, can't really tell. it looks like a crop sensor if i had to guess. ha.

buy a canon t2i and use the kit lens to make some short films. if you're spending more than 500 on a first camera, you're doing it wrong (unless you have a massive trust fund or something)

Unfortunately it's not really possible to tell with much certainty what a film was shot on just by looking at it. If you really want to know the exact kit used I would suggest sending a message to the filmmaker.

That being said a great camera isn't going to guarantee you will get the same quality. That takes planning and skill and very little of it even has to do with the camera. Go grab a simple light kit, a dslr or other inexpensive interchangeable lens camera and start practicing! Don't spend more than $300 on your first camera if you can helpit.

Hey man, thanks for replying.

I'm having difficulty finding a decent beginner camera. My current tactic is to look up camera's in my price range and then search for footage filmed by that camera. However, I have come to the conclusion that the internet is absolutely loaded with the most pointless bits of footage imaginable. It seems like 90% of the footage I come across is made up of close-ups of static objects, or landscape scenes, or sunsets, or trees, or blurry hipster shots of cities etc. backed up with a bit of acoustic guitar music.

I have yet to find a camera review with footage of things you normally see in a movie: people talking, medium shots, shots showing people doing everyday stuff, etc.

I've gone on a bit of a rant, but I truly don't understand why so much footage is just completely pointless. It seems like the majority of camera reviewers are under the impression that anyone looking to buy a camera wants to make hipster-style montage-shots.

So anyway, thanks again for replying, if you'd know of a good list or a good site that reviews camera's properly, let me know, I'd appreciate it!

Welcome to indietalk.

Yes, we get this type of question often. That's why this place exists.

The director Eliza Hittman has a Facebook page and Twitter. You should
ask her. You could even ask on the vimeo page.
I'm a complete and utter camera-newb and was wondering what kind of price range I'd be looking at to capture a short film in the same or similar quality as this one:
As others have said, it's not the camera it's how you use the camera.
You are a complete and utter camera-newb - a top of the line $20,000
(2292JMD) isn't going to help you.

http://camcorders.reviewed.com/

But bottom line; it's not the camera, it's how you use it. Buy any camera
from Panasonic, Sony or Canon and you can begin your learning journey.

A lot of new people use a t2i or t3i. it's not too expensive and if you upgrade the firmware with "magic lantern" it has a lot of features.

Really the best thing is to just get a decent camera at a low price point, so you can stop worrying so much about equipment and move on to the next phase of your journey.

I didn't watch the whole thing, but the sound was passable. And, as a fledgling filmmaker you should be aware that -

Your film will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience."

If your film sounds great and has marginal visuals, your audience will think that's your esthetic; if it sounds bad and looks great they'll know you're an amateur.

By the way, I agree with everyone here. The raw basics are good enough to start. A Rode VideoMic plugged into the camera and put onto a boom-pole wielded by someone who will at least try to capture decent production sound will be a great start. Learn the basics of production sound and post audio. You need to, at the least, "learn the language" so you can communicate with guys like me.

BTW, you should work on other peoples projects as often as you can. It gets you on film sets (such as they are). It gets you experience. You will learn lessons both good and bad. You will also get networked and have friendships to call on and favors to call in when it comes time to make your film.

Back