What to do...

Hey guys, I've just come to a big dilemna.

I've realized I'm just not really into the film I've been working on lately. I just don't feel like it has a strong enough script, relies too much on special effects, and requires too big of a budget and is just really cheesy, and not something I really want to work on anymore. I have other projects I want to move on. We are still in preproduction and yet to invest any money, and as the director, i have a cast and crew of friends excited about this project. I don't want to let them down, but I really don't want to go through the whole process with this film if I'm just not that into it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nick

Step aside and let the producer find a new director, since they want it to continue. Not a big deal since you're in pre.

Well...how about explaining to them your concerns and seeing what they think?

A good way to do this, I have learned through leadership training, would actually be reverse of what I explained above. Basically ask them if they think there is anything that could be done better for the film. If they don't give you any of the answers you're looking for, or say 'nothing' than try asking them what they think is wrong with/bad about, the project.

Basically what you're trying to do is make them think that abandoning the project (at least for now) is their own idea. They're much more likely to accept and even like this course of action if they feel that it's what they want to, and chose to, do.

Do you get what I'm trying to say? I know that was kind of a ramble there.

You never should do things just because people expect you to man. It'll just get you tied down with all these projects you don't want to be doing.
The exception is pay. Sometimes you just have to do stuff just for the coin. Which is fine I think.

I've been there - If you're not in to the project, then you're not doing anyone any favors by sticking around. Get out and let them keep the project if they're still into it.

The chances of you ending up with something you're happy with are very, very slim at this point.

Back