What software

Okay so I am going to rent the Sony PMW-EX3. I was wondering what software I need to to edit the footage. Like do I need something special to transfer the footage? Right now I have Vegas Movie Studio HD 11 for windows.

Video Recording Format MPEG-2 , 4:2:0 Long GOP
HQ mode: VBR, maximum bit rate: 35 Mb/s, MPEG-2 MP@HL
SP mode: CBR, 25 Mb/s, MPEG-2 MP@H14

It looks like just about any software should do the trick? Check your copy of Vegas to make sure it supports the formats would be my advice.

The footage is recorded on a hard drive. You can just dump it to your computers' hard drive. No software needed.

For editing, yeah you can work with the software you've got. But it seems kind of silly to me that you'd rent a $10,000 camera and then edit on $40 software. Vegas platinum is still under $100 and I think it's miles ahead of what you've got.

The bigger question -- how's your hardware?

The footage is recorded on a hard drive. You can just dump it to your computers' hard drive. No software needed.
?

That statement is not 100% accurate. If you're going to tether to a laptop, then, yes, the footage is going to a hard drive. But if you're going to record media to the SxS cards and take advantage of moving your camera around a bit, then your SxS cards will need to be involved in transferring. For transferring to a laptop, you won't necessarily need software but downloading the free Sony transfer software usually means getting a better transfer program. If you're going to a desktop, it's likely that you will need the software. You'll also need an SxS reader, which hopefully the rental agency will provide you.

That statement is not 100% accurate. If you're going to tether to a laptop, then, yes, the footage is going to a hard drive. But if you're going to record media to the SxS cards and take advantage of moving your camera around a bit, then your SxS cards will need to be involved in transferring. For transferring to a laptop, you won't necessarily need software but downloading the free Sony transfer software usually means getting a better transfer program. If you're going to a desktop, it's likely that you will need the software. You'll also need an SxS reader, which hopefully the rental agency will provide you.

Yes, the footage is recorded on a card, not a drive. That's not a huge distinction, and it doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of your post.

It's still true that all you have to do is plug the damn camera into the computer, and dump the footage. This statement is 100% accurate. :)

It's still true that all you have to do is plug the damn camera into the computer, and dump the footage. This statement is 100% accurate. :)

Crackerfunk, your previous statement was wrong. You wrote that no software is needed but that's incorrect. If you're using a desktop (ie MacPro) you will need the software downloads for the transfer program, whether you use a Sony SxS reader or plug the camera directly into the computer. In fact some laptop flows will need the software as well. Not all EX3 or EX1 workflows can function without a way to move data from your SxS cards to the computer. Especially for someone who's renting an EX3 but may be getting their SxS cards from somewhere else, they need to know very clearly what the data options are. Computer, SxS reader, camera cable, etc. That's what the rest of my post was about. It's important information for anyone who thinks their SxS cards can plug directly into a desktop -- they can't. Why are you opposed to people getting the information they need to have a good shoot? Chill out.

Also be aware that the EX cams create BPAV folders on the SxS folders. Best practice is to have a seperate folder for each BPAV (as AFAIK, renaming the BPAV folders causes things to go haywire). Your directory might look like this:

My Sony EX project > Day_01 > Card_01 > BPAV

This is best practice for any project, but when you have multiple folders with the same name, it becomes imperative to organise them properly.

Also, you may find it a little more difficult than simply opening up the files, I know in Avid you can simply link straight there as an AMA volume, in FCP I'm pretty sure you need to Log and Transfer the files, in others you may need to use the Sony software to import, or at least convert into a useable file.

I'm not sure if the EX3 is different than the EX1, but I know with the EX1 you have to use an XDCAM transfer program. When I used it, it was on my school's computers so I'm not positive if it was a log and transfer feature within FCP or a third-party application, but I'm pretty sure it was a feature within FCP.

You definitely need to Log and Transfer in FCP, don't know what you'll have to do in Vegas.

Absolutely make sure that the rental company give you an SxS card reader but, as far as I can recall from using the EX3, that's all you'll need. Just plug that it, transfer the files to the computer and then Log and Transfer into FCP (or the Vegas equivalent process).

Crackerfunk, your previous statement was wrong. You wrote that no software is needed but that's incorrect. If you're using a desktop (ie MacPro) you will need the software downloads for the transfer program, whether you use a Sony SxS reader or plug the camera directly into the computer. In fact some laptop flows will need the software as well. Not all EX3 or EX1 workflows can function without a way to move data from your SxS cards to the computer. Especially for someone who's renting an EX3 but may be getting their SxS cards from somewhere else, they need to know very clearly what the data options are. Computer, SxS reader, camera cable, etc. That's what the rest of my post was about. It's important information for anyone who thinks their SxS cards can plug directly into a desktop -- they can't. Why are you opposed to people getting the information they need to have a good shoot? Chill out.

Chill out? What makes you think I'm even slightly agitated? Maybe you should chill out. All I did was read the user manual, dude. It took me less than two minutes to discover that this camera, when plugged into a computer with a USB cable, is recognized just like any other drive (no driver needed). Drag and drop. That's what we call dumping footage.

screenhunter01aug202004.gif

Uhh...and that would make it the exact same as every other modern camera.

Why do you keep acting like Macs are the only thing in existence? The OP is editing on PC. Why do you keep making a distinction between laptops and desktops? I don't know about the Mac world, but in PC world, they run the same damn software.

And let's get some lingo straightened out. Nobody "transfers" footage. You can dump footage, you can capture footage, and you can import footage. You dump footage to your computer's hard drive. You import footage from your computer's hard drive into a specific non-linear editing project. Capturing footage does both at the same time (this is real old-school).

My best guess is that you've confused the OP's question with the issue of importing footage. You edit on Mac, and Mac doesn't work so well with AVCHD. So you need all sorts of work-arounds. Sorry for that. Maybe you should consider PC. Anyway, you've got the footage on your computer, but need to get it into FCP, is that your problem? That is a non-issue for the OP, because he is editing on Vegas, which works just fine with AVCHD.

Granted, AVCHD is still a pain in the butt-hole, and that is why God invented Cineform Neoscene.

Actually, Desperado, your hardware (your computer) might be your biggest issue (like I mentioned earlier).

What are your hardware specs? And which version of Windows?

Seriously, nevermind what all the others are saying. No disrespect guys, but part of the reason Desperado is confused is because you're confusing him with all your Mac-talk. Let the PC-People handle this. :)

Golly gee...I wonder if SONY Vegas will edit footage from a SONY camera? :P

Last edited:
The Sony EX-3 is a prosumer camcorder. Unless you are very severely technologically handicapped, you will have no problem dumping the footage.

I would urge you not to worry about it until you've shot your film. It won't be a problem.

Oh, and get a Mac and FCP please...

The Sony EX-3 is a prosumer camcorder. Unless you are very severely technologically handicapped, you will have no problem dumping the footage.

I would urge you not to worry about it until you've shot your film. It won't be a problem.

Oh, and get a Mac and FCP please...

:lol:

Touche, old chap. Touche.

I agree with
most of
this. :)

"Transfer" is the term that Sony's software uses on its proprietary software. Some computers can import the EX3 files but the files aren't usable by an editing program unless they're imported with a transfer utility. They show up as BPAV files.

Crackerfunk, my guess is you're not very familiar with the EX line. The idea of a thread like this is to an answer the OP's question and also lay out the info needed for anyone who else who has the same question. And in such case, it's important for anyone using an EX3 or EX1 to know about workflow... about how the SxS cards aren't automatically understood by all computers. If someone is hustling to a separate location with freshly record SxS cards while someone else is still using the Sony camera back on set, the first person needs to know what kind of set up will be needed to make that transfer of footage possible. It's a common situation.

Again, on a Mac, but I had to download Sony's transfer program to get working files from an XDcam camera. I couldn't drag and drop like any other digital format. It wasn't the codec, but they way the camera stored and separated data on the card. It forces a lot of metadata into the final file that way or some funny reason they give. Sony has gone out of their way in the past to be non-compatible and force you to use their stuff with their stuff haha.

Reading through the posts, some say yes and some say no for PC. Even if you do, it's a free download now so you should be set!

Oh, and
get a Mac and ADOBE, no reason to use a five year old outdated FCP anymore :)

Last edited:
Back