What should I say?

So contact him, remind him who you are, and ask for advice. You're family; the worst he can do is ignore you or say no. You've got nothing to lose and anywhere from a little to a lot to gain.

It's all about networking.

I recently met a friend of a friend - Discovery/History Channel, etc. He has some personal projects he wants to do. We've talked, he's got my resumé. He's one more person who knows who I am and has my contact information. Maybe nothing will happen; maybe I'll get a bunch of profitable gigs; maybe just a few small things.

It's all about networking.

He worked on one episode of Arrested Development?! Awesome! Seriously one of the best shows ever produced.

But yeah, just say hi, and since he's family it should be a bit easier to contact him on facebook! If you have the drive to make films and want to seriously pursue it, he'll recognize it and probably help you out with advice as best as he can. :)

Any contact is a good contact. Networking is what it is all about in just about any endeavor. Call the guy. Tell him you like his work and if you can pick his brain on film related subjects. Being that he is family it might get your foot into the right door someday.

Contacts are good. Networking is good.

The person's a Sci Fi whizz. You want to do directing.

I have a cousin who had access to someone influential in the industry. I got one of my early scripts to them - I thought it was very very good... It wasn't... I have written five now and my screenwritng is hugely better - I have placed in the semis of the Nicholl Fellowship, been a finalist in other contests etc... And my cousin no longer has access to that person now... My script didn't excite that person because it was not good enough.

I guess I'm saying, unless you are incredibly lucky, the best way to get hired is to:

1. have contacts that can open doors
    .... and ....
  2. make sure your talent is tier one (ie very very good)
So work on your contacts and keep filming, filming, filming. :)

As to what to say? Watch some of his shows and talk to him about your favorite one (my fav would be My Name Is Earl), or ask him how he got his break.

Last edited:
Back