what should i do this summer?

im a sophmore in college, majoring in communications. im not sure what i want to do for a living, but definately something with tv or making movies. just wondering what yall think i should do this summer for experience and contacts... should i just go to local tv stations and ask about random jobs i could do? should i apply for an internship doing something? i dont really have experience in anything, im just learning everything, and have taught myself what i do know. how do most people start off? what do yall think i should try?

Hmm, well I'm from CA, and one of the cool things our california state university system does is put on a big summer arts program every summer. They're summer classes in the arts, they usually have a video session, animation, acting, writing, printmaking, etc, and they count as a class. . . if they have anything like that where you are that'd be something!

here's the website to the summer arts program I've participated in just to get an idea
http://www.csusummerarts.org

The first thing you should do is make use of the college you go to. :cool:

If you are able to major in Communications, you should have counselor there with a contact-list a mile long for internships (at the minimum) for just about anything.

If your college, for some odd reason, doesn't have resources like that... hit the 'net and start looking up networks and shows (and film companies) for their internship programmes. Collect the information and make some phonecalls.

If you have no joy finding this on the 'net, call directly and ask for the info about any internship programmes that they may have.

Getting hands-on experience in the field (even for no/negligible pay) as an intern is still better than making a few bucks at Dairy Queen for the summer. :yes:

thanx for quick posts, but this summer i will have to make money. just lookin to see what jobs i could get that would help me learn about making movies. if i can get an internship with no pay, my parents may let me do that, but they will probly make me get a paying job.

and i have been making movies with my friends for a while, but dont really have much experience in any certain thing. my friend with my major said i would probly need to learn a lot more to get an internship. is this true or do they have them for people of different experiences

adamthegreat said:
my friend with my major said i would probly need to learn a lot more to get an internship. is this true or do they have them for people of different experiences

You can get an internship with zip experience.

It's all about what you are willing to do, and where you are trying to get a toe in.

You need a weeeee bit of experience to get into Skywalker Ranch. (Once again, if your college has half a clue they will have the details)

Other places will not be so exclusive. There are a lot of opportunities out there.

_______

Times may have changed a bit, but I had my chance and I blew it.

Five years ago I declined an offer to spend a summer interning at Comedy Central's "The Daily Show". I had zero practical experience (aside from a monthly political faux-news webcast, that probably 12 people ever saw)

Biggest mistake I ever made.

I may have the luxury of owning a (non-film) company now... but it has permanently shifted my personal goals in the entertainment arena to hobby status.

Where do you want to be in 10 years time?

_______

You seem concerned with having a paying job.

Why not consider an intern position (so many positives) and having a second job to bring in the needed moolah?

Back