• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What lense is she using in these interviews?

I am very interested in getting this same lens effect where the interviewee is in focus and the background is blurry or out of focus.

How is she accomplishing this?

http://vimeo.com/29513113

I have a Canon HF S21 camcorder....

thanks,
Bruno

By using a camera with a large sensor and lens with a large aperture, which reduces the depth of field (the distance between the nearest and farthest points that appear sharp). You could replicate the effect to a certain extent by moving your camera far away from the subject, zooming in and opening up the aperture, but the physics of it means you cannot hope to achieve as shallow a depth of field as in that video.

(Other options: buy a camera with a larger sensor or a 35mm adapter to use with your current camera.)

that looks very much like cannon dslr footage.

Cheaper to buy a new Cannon T2i and a 50mm f1.8 lens, then to buy the equipment to transform your HFS21 into a 35mm adapted monster, and you'll still need a lens..

Uhhh, 4 GRAND!!!???

Yeah right, don't have that kind of money.

I emailed her and asked what she used...here is her reply:

"Hey there,

I used a 20mm Sigma and a 50mm zeiss lens.
Good luck with the shoot!"

Soo, I learned a bit about depth of field and the effect I'm trying to get...It sounds like I can get a 50mm lens for my HF S21 and that would work....what exactly should I get and how much should I pay?

Thanks again

Soo, I learned a bit about depth of field and the effect I'm trying to get...It sounds like I can get a 50mm lens for my HF S21 and that would work....what exactly should I get and how much should I pay?

Thanks again

That's not how it works. You can't use lenses like that on your camera without an adaptor like the one wheat linked to. You'd probably be better off purchasing a DSLR.

Single Lens Cameras and Interchangeable Lens Cameras are two totally different beasts. If you have your heart set on using lenses on your single lens camera, then you have to get an adapter like the one already mentioned. Alternatively, you could buy a new DSLR (for less money than the adapter) and purchase lenses for that.

If you do not have your mind set on interchangeable lenses, then you will need to learn how to use the camera you have to greatest effect. The video below goes over how to achieve the desired depth of field with both a single and interchangeable lens camera. Make sure to watch the parts about interchangeable lens cameras even if you are sticking with your single lens camera because it provides the background for using your camera correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0n4pyhx7Dk

Interesting, thanks so much for the input, Im learning alot.

I already bought the HF S21, I don't think selling it at this point and starting from scratch with a DSLR is possibility for me right now. I'll just roll with what I've got.

My whole goal is to make a mini-documentary on the OccupySanDiego movement akin to the OccupyWallSt mini-doc...

I got a RODE videomic today, gets here tmr...

What is up with the wide angle lens attachment that canon sells? Is it pretty much good for "expanding the size" of the frame?

I'm also looking into getting an LED light attachment and possibly a handheld mount for the whole shabang. What do you guys think?

Finally, based on what I'm working with, the best way to achieve that effect in the first post is to zoom as close to the subject as I can, place the camera as close to the subject as I can and finally adjust the aperature to the lowest f setting I can (ie f1.8)...???

Would we be able to use a BR3 screwed to a double male adapter onto our video camera filter threads?
http://www.chrisnuzzaco.com/blog/20...mm-swiss-army-lens-turning-1-lens-into-3.html
Then attach a 35mm lens?

No no no! :) You just can't focus one lens on to another, it doesn't work. As I said in the other thread, it's not that the quality isn't good enough or it doesn't look professional, it's just optically and physically impossible. Why would we have 35mm adapters if we could just screw a lens on to the front of the camera? A really cheap way of doing it would be to put some tracing paper or similar behind the lens, and record the image it projects with the camera - I'm sure you could find a way to rig it all together fairly solidly.

Single Lens Cameras and Interchangeable Lens Cameras are two totally different beasts. If you have your heart set on using lenses on your single lens camera, then you have to get an adapter like the one already mentioned. Alternatively, you could buy a new DSLR (for less money than the adapter) and purchase lenses for that.

If you do not have your mind set on interchangeable lenses, then you will need to learn how to use the camera you have to greatest effect. The video below goes over how to achieve the desired depth of field with both a single and interchangeable lens camera. Make sure to watch the parts about interchangeable lens cameras even if you are sticking with your single lens camera because it provides the background for using your camera correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0n4pyhx7Dk

great video. im dizzy....but great video :)

Why would we have 35mm adapters if we could just screw a lens on to the front of the camera?
I thought because the 35mm lens had an F-mount that it couldn't be screwed onto a thread mount, and that's why the adapter was made.
Granted, I'm using it in reverse.
I know it's supposed to be screwed onto the mount-side of a lens (to hold a filter) already mounted to the camera in reverse via another adapter.

I was thinking since the thickness/depth of the adapter itself apparently doesn't bugger the focus that it might work.

You've seen this and it doesn't work, or in principle it shouldn't.

I thought because the 35mm lens had an F-mount that it couldn't be screwed onto a thread mount, and that's why the adapter was made.
Granted, I'm using it in reverse.
I know it's supposed to be screwed onto the mount-side of a lens (to hold a filter) already mounted to the camera in reverse via another adapter.

I was thinking since the thickness/depth of the adapter itself apparently doesn't bugger the focus that it might work.

You've seen this and it doesn't work, or in principle it shouldn't.

If you read the article, he's using these adapters to turn his regular 50mm into macro lenses, one with a greater extension than the other. If you have an SLR or a 35mm adapter you could do exactly the same thing, and turn your lens into a macro, but that still has no effect on its ability to focus on to another lens (i.e. attaching it directly to a camcorder). You're welcome to give it a go if you don't believe me :)

Finally, based on what I'm working with, the best way to achieve that effect in the first post is to zoom as close to the subject as I can, place the camera as close to the subject as I can and finally adjust the aperature to the lowest f setting I can (ie f1.8)...???

Almost, except you don't want to place the camera as close as possible to the subject. To get shallow depth of field on your camera you need to back the camera away from the subject as far as possible, then zoom in all the way to frame them up properly. Unfortunately, this won't be compatible with this....

I got a RODE videomic today, gets here tmr...

With any mic you need to get it as close to the subject as possible to get the best sound. If you use something like the videomic mounted on your camera, but then back the camera as far away as possible to get shallow DOF, your sound will be pretty bad.

What is up with the wide angle lens attachment that canon sells? Is it pretty much good for "expanding the size" of the frame?

Sure, it will let you get more of your scene in the frame from any given position - but it will also have the effect of increasing your depth of field... so sort of the opposite of the look you are going for.

Honestly, I'd say forget the shallow depth of field and just shoot normally. Get good sound and steady, well-composed, clear pictures and your audience will focus on the content/subject, which is generally the goal of documentary filmmaking in the first place.

some mixed info on this thread..

For cinematic 35mm lens to video camera adapter information please watch this..

http://35mmadapter.blogspot.com/2009/04/video-tutorial-35mm-adapters-explained.html

Done.. good.. my first post of the $4K rig was to shock you.
That is top of the line thing that will turn a high end video camera (i.e. pro camera around $6000) Into a GREAT cinematic machine.. .

However, there are MANY low priced options, on the order of $100 that can do something similar for your decidedly non-pro camera.

By way of personal experience, I bough my lower end Letus Extreme on ebay for $500. Thats on the front of my Cannon HFS100 got me some GREAT footage.. as good as my DSLR I still believe..

this was shot with my cannon hfs100 and a Letus Extreme 35mm adapter and old inexpensive cannon FD lenses.

http://www.vimeo.com/15162931

This was shot with my Panasonic GH2 using the same Cannon FD lenses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvhWXq5M0GU

The "why I switched" is a different discussion and had more to do with timing than anything.. If I was buying now, Id never waste a moment on the 35mm adapter.

Almost, except you don't want to place the camera as close as possible to the subject. To get shallow depth of field on your camera you need to back the camera away from the subject as far as possible, then zoom in all the way to frame them up properly. Unfortunately, this won't be compatible with this....

With any mic you need to get it as close to the subject as possible to get the best sound. If you use something like the videomic mounted on your camera, but then back the camera as far away as possible to get shallow DOF, your sound will be pretty bad.

Sure, it will let you get more of your scene in the frame from any given position - but it will also have the effect of increasing your depth of field... so sort of the opposite of the look you are going for.

Honestly, I'd say forget the shallow depth of field and just shoot normally. Get good sound and steady, well-composed, clear pictures and your audience will focus on the content/subject, which is generally the goal of documentary filmmaking in the first place.

Gotcha, good info.

The reason I want the shallow depth of field is because it just looks a hundred times better than if everything is in focus. It makes the audience focus on the subject instead of distracting background people and clutter. If somebody at a protest is yelling their rant, that needs to be caught as a sole moment independent of the immediate surroundings. On the other hand, if I wanted footage of "the line" between the police and the protesters, then the opposite is true and I would want everything viewable.

Plus it looks stylish as hell!

Gotcha, good info.

The reason I want the shallow depth of field is because it just looks a hundred times better than if everything is in focus. It makes the audience focus on the subject instead of distracting background people and clutter. If somebody at a protest is yelling their rant, that needs to be caught as a sole moment independent of the immediate surroundings. On the other hand, if I wanted footage of "the line" between the police and the protesters, then the opposite is true and I would want everything viewable.

Plus it looks stylish as hell!

One thing that needs pointing out, since you say you're gonna be shotting the OccupyX protest, is that it's going to take a lot of practice with a shallow depth of field if you want to make sure that your subject is in focus. And while the protest seems like it's not ending anytime soon, I doubt it will be long enough for you to get usable footage.

For right now, I'd stick with the wide depth of field you get with your canon. It takes great video, especially outdoors on a sunny day.

Another thing is that you're going to want some B-roll for your docu so you can cut away while people are talking. For that footage, go far away and zoom in as far as you can on the camera to get the shallow depth of field (use a tripod). The audience won't care that your interview footage doesn't have that fancy shallow DOF because they will see it as a choice, since you've just put footage like that in the B-roll. Does that make sense?

Good luck with the shoot! Be sure to come back and share what you've made :)

Back