• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

logline What is the process to getting your script read?

Although you can contact movie studios/producers, the chances of an unsolicited screenplay to be read by them is close to zero so I don't recommend you wasting your time with that. There are some credible websites( like this one: https://www.hollywoodscriptexpress.com/ ) out there that offer to read your screenplay and give you a decent feedback for a price which varies between 100-600$ depending on what kind of service you ask. There are also reputable screenwriting contests ( like Nicholl fellowship, Final draft,..) that you can submit your screenplay to) winning one or two of these contests will open some doors. Also these contests are really reputable so you don't need to worry about plagiarism and they offer feedback with a slightly higher submission prize. Though I recommend you still register your material with WGA or U.S copyright office prior to your contest submissions just in case.

Last edited:
One of our mods will do it for a fee (or at least she used to). Not sure what she charges but it doesn't hurt to ask. For my first feature, I actually let total strangers (on this forum) read it and asked for honest critique. Some of the critique wasn't so constructive but some of it really was. I also know a couple dudes who will read your script and record their read in real time, while giving on-the-fly critique. They did this for me and it was really helpful. If you want, I can contact them to ask if they're still doing it and how much they'd charge. And finally, you could just pay some actors their day-rate to do a table-read with you. It can be really helpful to hear thespians doing their take on what you've written cuz it's never the same on page as when it's being read aloud.

I do indeed still do it - you can check out my fees HERE. Also, if you click the Memberships tab at the top of this page, you'll see that there are discounts available for Pro and Biz members of this site.

Beyond that, I absolutely agree with CF re the value of hearing actors do a table read. Not only will you get valuable input from them, it's completely different to hear your words spoken aloud vs. reading them to yourself.

Last edited:
I second all the replies here. I am currently writing a script. I have written several but I use the script as a guideline only on set. I would rather speak to the actors beforehand and get there feedback first. Some actors actual will read the script word for word and that is their personal work ethic. But that could lead to a wooden performance. If an actor has any conviction in the part they will contribute to the script which is far better as they have an emotional attachment to the character. I hope this helps.

Cheers
M

I second all the replies here. I am currently writing a script. I have written several but I use the script as a guideline only on set. I would rather speak to the actors beforehand and get there feedback first. Some actors actual will read the script word for word and that is their personal work ethic. But that could lead to a wooden performance. If an actor has any conviction in the part they will contribute to the script which is far better as they have an emotional attachment to the character. I hope this helps.

Cheers
M

I’d like to second this. If an actor wants to change a line so that it creates a more natural delivery, I encourage it, but you need to take notice of HOW it is being changed. On the last feature I did we had an actor who would constantly change his lines. The problem we had was not that he was changing his lines, but he was changing the meaning, sometimes changing it to the point of the line he was delivering having the complete opposite meaning to what he was meant to be saying. We were fortunate enough to have someone on location supervising the script and calling out whenever this occurred. So just be mindful of that.

Depends what you want it read for? If you're looking to get it made then contact an indie producer, production company or try getting an agent if you don't have one. It will be unlikely that production companies or studios will read your script unless you have an agent contacting them about it. Try and maybe meet a producer for a coffee or something. If you're just looking for feedback to improve your script, there are many services that offer quality feedback and coverage for a fee...

I always found that before anybody wanted to read anything they want to know what you've written before. . That you know how to do INT. and EXT. That you know how long a scene should be, etc. Otherwise, everyone has a script but they don't want to read yours as they don't want to be in a Legal! bind, exposing their business to a lawsuit by you. So, they want to know you and that's the chicken or the egg question.

Now, if you do a Paid service on the Internet and this perhaps goes over several weeks of rewrites, when you ask the obvious question as class ends, "Now are there any companies that would be..." the Moderator will go silent and say "I'll think about it." Will you? No, as they don't want to stick their neck out for you and be responsible for introducing you. They are trying to be diplomatic as the scripts are dreadful and everyone is about to burst into tears ('My script is awesome!' What you don't like?) The best way is to go to Los Angeles. Attend meetups. Help out making movies. They know you, personally, know that you aren't giving up after just one script.

And since they know you, you will have a better time selling it (pitching) which is done not to friends but to a skeptical audience. For you have to sell it!

So, this is what I propose: you work on your scripts but you try to build other skills. For example, if you learn animation, just from a computer you can theoretically make a movie. Or if you know editing, you are much more valuable. Of course, it goes without saying that both of those skill-sets you also need to know screenwriting, just don't focus solely on it. But if you want, go for it. I'd recommend writing the novel version and getting that to be a bestseller, first, then it can be made into a movie. The more autonomy, the better.

Last edited:
To get your first 5 pages read?
Just send it.
To get the whole script read?
Wellcome to hell!
To get it accepted?
If you are walking through hell, keep walking..

Back