• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What is the hard part of script writing?

Hi,

I didn't write more than 25 pages of a script as my longest yet, so, I don't know what is the hard part yet. I don't know what makes a screenplay more valuable?
Of course, now, it is days of directors. They make scripts which are LESS nice, because script writers can't make their own scripts into movie. Even some times I get surprised of weird that it seems the writers didn't see others better ways? Because they can see & learn, but they do the worse than old works. These questions rotate in my mind, any answer?

Thanks!

The hard part is writing a great story :P

However, the hard part of writing a great story can differ for everyone.
Continue writing and find out what is hard about it.

There's nothing hard about script writing. It's piss easy. Anyone can do it. Just write random nonsensical words on a page, call it a script and you're done. It doesn't matter, no one cares to read a turd.

Writing a great script. That's a different beast. The hard part of writing a great script is everything.

Hope that helps.

Can I ask why you always post from proxies? We have enough problems with trolls here so why don't you post from your actual location?

I would say what makes a script valuable is something that would be an easy sell. This is why we see so many sequels, prequels, and remakes--it is easiest to sell something that is familiar. What you need to find is a way to tell your original story in a way that is familiar enough to audiences so that it does not alienate them.

I'm not a screenwriter, but I've worked with all kinds of creative folks - including screenwriters.

As with all creative endeavors, you must learn to kill your babies.

You also need to know when to continue revisions, and when enough is enough.

The two hardest things are:

1. Finding reliable, objective outside criticism.

2. Really internalizing that criticism once you find it.

BTW, internalizing solid, objective criticism gets easier the more you do it. I get together with a group of audio peers a few times a year and we routinely - but politely and with full explanations of the criticism - rip each others work to shreds. It's definitely made me a better audio engineer. And yeah, we also hand out praise when it's merited.

It's very hard to sit back and be objective about your own work, to examine it like a member of your target audience. That's why outside opinions are so useful, to contrast what you believe about your work and how the rest of the world perceives it.

There is no right answer for your question 'What is the hard part ...'. For some it might be as simple as getting unique ideas, while for others it might be organizing those ideas into a logical sequence of events, or even just writing the first word. Building a professional network to get finished material out there is no easy task, either.

There are plenty of successful Directors that write their own material, or work closely with the writer/s in developing a story. The hardest feat of all is for unknown writers selling - or even just having produced - spec screenplays. And not all sold screenplays get produced, and not all produced screenplays get distributed / released.

There are also writers who become directors, actors, or producers, or even all three. There are many workable combinations in getting an idea from first seed to finished film that is actually released, especially these days with so many options for the end user (audience) to access the entertainment, be it a 2 hour epic via theaters, or a 2 minute iPhone pocket film on YT. These days all are legit forms of film making.

As a writer you need to find the people that share your vision of story and its entertainment purpose, and collaborate. It may not happen the first two or even ten screenplays, but eventually you will find a rhythm and voice that makes your screenplays attractive to filmmakers. You must keep in mind the efforts and cash needed to move words from paper to film, and respect the diversified skills and talents needed to pull it off. It is an ENORMOUS undertaking.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by screenplay value. Its selling price? Its attractiveness to potential producers? Not all films - and this really concerns short film, mostly - are produced with the objective of making money, but rather to build a body of work that will attract bigger projects and hopefully paid work, or investors for profitable pet projects, and on up the ladder to overall success as a working filmmaker.

alex

Last edited:
Back