What indie movies could I use as inspiration?

Okay thanks. Well before when I tried asking to help make a short film I didn't get enough responses, and I think it was because they didn't like the script, and I am not that good at writing scripts per say. I just don't have a lot of ideas for good stories, especially ones that are short.
I remember the script: it didn't go anywhere.
You've been given various ideas. Besides that there must be a style you'd like to try?
You can go make the trailer: it might proof to be complicated if you need many people and lcations. But it will be a good exercise. You will run into the same problems as ever: locations, cast and crew. Overcoming that will be great. The more you need, the harder you'll need to work to get them.
(That is also why I advocate making a simple* short: where simple means: small cast, few or 1 location, no special effects you can do yourself. If it turnsout good, you'll have something to comvince more people. But you know my view on this by know, I hope.)
Just remember: a great scene is like a short story, but it has the context of the rest of the movie.

What I could do is maybe write short script for the trailer I am thinking and try to attract people to make that. Cause right now, I don't have any good ideas for short stories, as I am just not a good writer. I thought maybe by spending money on a feature, 22K would be money to get professionals to work more likely. That way I am not doing everything myself and product would likely come out better cause of all the professionals that went into it. I also feel I could do a much better job than on my first short, as I was told the mistakes I made, and would not repeat them, such as too many close ups, not enough camera movement, actually hiring a crew, rather than me doing it all myself, etc.

I hope you aren't saying you can't write, because you are writing your own feature. And you want to put your money in it. :P

But perhaps I could do the trailer as my next project and write a script for that. I decided to put some adds out wanting to direct other people's short film scripts and see where that gets me. It didn't work well before, cause before it seemed that everyone wanted to direct their own. But I will advertise again and see what happens. I just really suck as writing, which is why I haven't gotten enough people responding to my adds for shorts and I would rather get started on filmmaking, rather than having to practice writing for who knows how long, till I
actually shoot anything.
Ever thought about contacting people you worked with on other projects?
Just putting out adds is like starting from scratch everytime. Post adds, but don't forget to message the people you know.

But in my free time, I try to practice filmmaking quite often. It's not like I am not doing anything, I still get out there with my camera and sound equipment and record stuff, for practice.
Great. What do you do with that footage?
Without a plan to edit it, you are just learning how to handle machines.
If you edit it, you are learning how to shoot stuff you can use for your ideas.

I sometimes do shoot stuff without editing as well: that is when I'm learning to use new equipment. Following the steps through the manual to train my brain how to do it, so I don't need the manual on set. Very useful, but after 2 times doing that I'm done with it: any next test would be making something that needs to be edited to see how I can apply the technique in a context.

Hey Guys, I have a script that is completed. Im looking for an investor that has roughly 22 grand to make this movie. If you know anyone this invester would be the Ex. Producer and I will fly him down for a three week shoot where he can dabble on set and learn everything about filmmaking. I made my first feature for 10 grand.

Anyone know anybody that would love to invest basically in himself and have a fantastic time on set?

Hey Guys, I have a script that is completed. Im looking for an investor that has roughly 22 grand to make this movie. If you know anyone this invester would be the Ex. Producer and I will fly him down for a three week shoot where he can dabble on set and learn everything about filmmaking. I made my first feature for 10 grand.

Anyone know anybody that would love to invest basically in himself and have a fantastic time on set?

That's actually not a bad idea. H44, it might be worthwhile for you to consider taking on such a role. Maybe don't invest your ENTIRE nest-egg, but if being an executive producer can gain you entry onto someone else's set for a tiny-budget feature, you would probably learn a lot. And if you choose the right project to back, maybe you'll make some money (though, statistically, probably not).

I kinda think TCW was half-joking but also half-serious in that of course he'd take your investment. So would I, as would pretty much any tiny-budget filmmaker.

No. He has not.
He made one short discovering what can go wrong.
He has been on sets and has seen what went wrong and what went well.
He not produced a short where he applied all those lessons, so he can now better estimate and oversee how he can make his feature.

I know you are about optimistic empowerment, CF, but H44 hasn't had a taste of producing a short to the best of his abilities. He had a taste of trying.

You can't say someone can walk to Santiago de Compostella after is first walk ever. Walking 300 feet without landing on your ass or face first is a better next step.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Now I see what you mean. And I agree with almost all of what you just said.

Ironically, I'm now taking a stance that I used to argue against. I used to think that nobody should even think of making a feature until they've gotten really good at making shorts. My viewpoint changed after making my first feature.

I thought that making a feature required expertise, and one could only acquire said expertise by producing shorts. I made my feature when I thought I was ready. I was wrong. Not only was I not ready, but the production of that feature is precisely the thing that has gotten me ever so closer to being ready to really do something that I think audiences will want to see.

Learn by doing. That's what I'm arguing for. I'm not telling H44 to make a feature because of my recent bent towards positivity. I'm telling him to do that because I think that's the best way for him to learn. Will his first feature be "successful", in the traditional sense of the term? Probably not.

But will it be successful in setting him up to do better things in the future? Maybe. Only one way to find out.

All that said, my next movie is gonna be fucking dope, H44, you'd be welcome as an executive producer! :D

Okay thanks. I could produce another script if I get to direct it to, since I wanted to get into directing. Or maybe I could produce it only and then get into directing later on, if that's better.

As for my attempts at writing a short, I am just bad at coming with an idea that is only a couple of minutes. In my attempts before I just didn't have enough page time to finish an idea cause every idea I have almost, goes over a few minutes.

This is why I wanted to take scenes from a feature I wrote and just shoot a scene on it's own, but when I try to put a scene on it's own, it's not interesting, to other people, cause the scene only works as part of a complete story, rather than taken out of the story, on it's own.

As for the Saskatchewan Filmmakers group on facebook, most of the people on there do not live in my city. I could travel to make a movie I suppose but I would feel awkward about asking them to let me stay at their place, since they are strangers and all.

As for asking people to help me that I have worked with before, I do not have any lodgings for them here, cause my place is kind of a dump and I don't live alone and have any say on that. I am just trying to save as much money as possible for a feature, so this is why I haven't spent a lot on shorts lately, such as paying for hotels for cast and crew, cause I would rather do it for a feature in the future.

I posted some adds willing to direct other people's short film scripts for a change, cause maybe that will improve my odds, rather than relying on my own writing. We'll see.

The reason why I am anxious to make a feature is because years ago, I set a goal, that if I would make my first feature by 2015. This hasn't happened yet since I have hardly been able to make shorts in the mean time. I feel confident that I could do a feature, since I have worked under directors and watched how they work. I also know a cinematographer who is much more experienced than me, and is willing to work if I pay his rates and all, and he taught me a lot about how directors work as well. He is from another city though, and would have to pay for his lodgings, so I can use him, if he thinks the script is worth his while.

Also, is shooting a trailer really that complicated? I helped a guy shoot his trailer for feature, which he made after, and the trailer was able to be shot all in one weekend, and it took about 20 hours to shoot total.

It would really help and be simple though, to just shoot one scene from a script for practive, in one location, with just a couple of people. But no actors and crew want do to that. When I advertised for cast and crew for my first short film, I got a lot more responses. I think that by making it a 15 minute long story, people were more interested. They don't want to shoot one scene from a script, they want a whole story. Could that be it?

I also wanted to go to film school a couple of years ago, but the person who ran the school talked me out of it. Mainly I wanted to learn post production and learn a lot of the technology.. but the school doesn't really teach much of the technology itself, and I told the person at the school that I wanted to learn the technology as well, and he said that maybe I shouldn't go to the school then cause it sounds like it might not be right for me, if that's the case. The school only teaches how to make docementary type short films as well, but doesn't seem to do any with a fiction narrative that would mean working with actors. Although I know for sure the final projects can be cause I did see some of them at a film festival. But they weren't that good, not to be mean or anything... but it made me think I shouldn't go, if the film quality of the projects was poor.

But now I am having second thoughts maybe. Do you think that this school course is worth the money at all, since some people in the industry say that a lot of film schools are not that good?

http://www.rais.ca/Motion Picture Arts

Last edited:
If you can shoot a trailer in 1 weekend: that would be great.
I remember your trailer idea from a few years back: over 20 extras, car stunts and 10 locations. That will be a struggle to complete.

Why don't you go watch and analyse 'narrative' TV ads?
How do they manage to tell a story in 20 to 90 seconds?

Here is one to start with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxgcPuY58Js

As for my attempts at writing a short, I am just bad at coming with an idea that is only a couple of minutes. In my attempts before I just didn't have enough page time to finish an idea cause every idea I have almost, goes over a few minutes.

A good writer tells the story without overtelling it. Perhaps you need to work on that before all else. Can you tell a story in :60? You need to be able to.

If you cannot tell a story in :60, or 2:00, or 3:00, how do you know that your feature script isn't overwritten? At that, how do you know it's actually a feature and not a short? You have to know when and where to pare down the script.

As for the Saskatchewan Filmmakers group on facebook, most of the people on there do not live in my city. I could travel to make a movie I suppose but I would feel awkward about asking them to let me stay at their place, since they are strangers and all.

As for asking people to help me that I have worked with before, I do not have any lodgings for them here, cause my place is kind of a dump and I don't live alone and have any say on that. I am just trying to save as much money as possible for a feature, so this is why I haven't spent a lot on shorts lately, such as paying for hotels for cast and crew, cause I would rather do it for a feature in the future.

Paying for accommodations is part of the budgeting process. You're going to have to deal with that at some point. It's cheaper to put yourself up in a motel in another town than it is to put up an out-of-town crew.

This really is just another crutch of an excuse, isn't it?

The reason why I am anxious to make a feature is because years ago, I set a goal, that if I would make my first feature by 2015. This hasn't happened yet since I have hardly been able to make shorts in the mean time. I feel confident that I could do a feature, since I have worked under directors and watched how they work. I also know a cinematographer who is much more experienced than me, and is willing to work if I pay his rates and all, and he taught me a lot about how directors work as well. He is from another city though, and would have to pay for his lodgings, so I can use him, if he thinks the script is worth his while.

So this really is less about knowing you're ready to handle a feature, and more about being past some arbitrary deadline you set for yourself. That's a terrible reason to put $22k on the line.

You admit that you have not been able, in all that time, to manage your time and resources to accomplish your own short films. So, how in the world are you going to accomplish a feature?

Also, is shooting a trailer really that complicated? I helped a guy shoot his trailer for feature, which he made after, and the trailer was able to be shot all in one weekend, and it took about 20 hours to shoot total.

How complicated is a trailer? How long is a street? How tall is a building? You cannot answer any of these questions in generalities. It all depends on the specific trailer. A simple comedy or drama could be easy to knock out in a day or two. Action/adventure? That might need more time. VFX-heavy? More complicated.

Okay thanks. It's just most of the ideas I come up with go over 60, cause it needs to take longer to tell the story I find.

I don't think my script is overwritten. I compared it to movies, and the amount of plot seems the same, here or there, depending on which movies you compare it too. Some movies have less plot than my script, some have more, it depends on the movie. For example, a movie like Halloween, has a lot less plot than mine, but a movie like The Dark Knight, has a lot more. I don't think mine is overwritten but it's hard to tell cause every story is different.

My script originally had more plot but I felt maybe I was having too much, and should cut down, based on what some people were saying.

And no, me going to another city, is not another excuse. I thought it would be a lot easier to shoot where I am cause when it comes to getting locations, I actually know where some locations are, as oppose to another city where I don't know anything. That is why I thought maybe it would be better to get people to come here, rather than go somewhere else, with locations I have not seen or know of at all.

I thought maybe I would be more able to accomplish a feature, cause in my experience of working under different people, it was easier for them to recruit people for a feature. People just seemed a lot more interested in making a feature compared to a short.

Last edited:
Your ideas take time, because you construct stories. Sometimes you seem to just construct them to justify the ending you want.
A short has little time for constructing a story. It just have to be short story.
For a short I always strive for a few possible effects:
- make people laugh
- make people feel good
- smack them in the face and depress them
- amaze them with someone magical/surreal
- touch their heart (which can be bittersweet)
If you can combine 1, 2, 4 and 5 you have a short with impact.
But just make people laugh or just amaze them with a clever twist is good enough.
Next you turn that story in the best looking and sounding short you can.

A short can be about little things.
Just an idea that uses a part of an idea I gave you earlier:

Man has a date, but he is always late, so this is his late change.
But he also has a deadline at work. Although he finishes his work in time, he is locked in in the office.
Will he make it in time?

Can you imagine the rest of such a story without 20 characters?
I'm sure you can turn this in a story with 2 character and maybe 3 extras. And 2 or 3 locations.
If you make it a little wilder you can add 2 shops as location if you make the MC crawl through dirt or fall in mud, so he needs to clean himself while he has no time left to change clothes at home.
(Hmmm, looks like this will be a comedy.)
And how will it end?
Will he be just in time or just in time to see her leave and realise she is not the one? If the latter is the case, will he bump into someone who could be the love of his life? (Shit that adds another character :P )
This could even be a very short christmas movie, but it doesn't have to be.
(Okay, this could end up being 6 minutes or more. Unless you keep it short.)

Look, you don't have to use this idea. This just showing how you can exploit conflicting interests in a short story.
Keep out any legal stuff, so you don't have to wonder about that.
Keep it human.

Look: your mantra that it is easier to interest people for a feature is just not true. It really depends on the idea and people attached to it. For some ideas it will be true.
People are always interested in good ideas if they think you can do it. The big difference is that for a feature you'll have to keep them interested a lot longer. If you are paying them all a normal rate, then yes: of coure longer employment is preferred :P
If you can't pay normal rates, it is easier to have people commit 2 or 3 days of their time to a cool idea instead of 12 days or 20.

Last edited:

I saw what you did here ;)
And it made me laugh as it is both humorous and cunning :)

You gave up to early: IT is not always as fast moving as Whatsapp :P

I think one of the main reasons why a lot of people do not want to make a short film with me is cause, they will ask to see what I have done before, and I only have the one short to show them. But after they see my short, they often do not get back to me. So I maybe I need to make a good short film to interest them, but it's a paradox, cause I do not know how to do that, if I cannot interest them in the first place.

Catch22. To get people interested you have to show something. To show something people have to be interested. It's tough to break that circle.

I made my first videos with friends and family members. Asked them to help one day.
That keeps their time investment low. After that it became friends of friends. Later I asked (wannabe) models and actors.

You can go take another step away from actors and shoot a short 'documentary' with just beautiful shots of how your town looks like this christmas. (Just typing while I am thinking.)
I could suggest making a timelapse video, but takes new skills and software, so that is just a timeconsuming delay that could even wear out your camera.*
There is no event you could make a 1 minute video of. Just shots lovely shots of the highlights, some surroundings, ask people to smile, cheers or wave. Edit in on music so you don't have to worry about sound. It is not narrative fiction, but you're training your eye and people discover what you do AND you have something else to show you are not a complete beginner.
I shot this in half a day and edited in 1 day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXxKQYIKuM

Or try harder to get a cool short story and get the people to help you.

It brings me back to an unanswered question: you say you have been practising.
What did you shoot and what did you do with the footage? Did you edit it?

You will have to try to make a short.
Do you think that, if people indeed don't get back to you because of your short, they will come back when it's a feature? That doesn't sound logical to me.

You need to 1) try with a good short script and 2) don't wait for a reply, but message/call after a week of silence (or sooner: depending on the timeframe you are in): "Hi, ho are you? I wondered whether you had time to watch/read blabla. I you are interested I would love to hear from you. If you are not interested I'd love to hear from you as well, so I can try to find someone else who fits this project so perfectly."

Another question you didn't answer: can you imagine where my suggested story would go?
I made it up in 5 minutes. Then I started typing it and along the way more ideas came as my mind starts imaging what story can be told from that situation.

*) Timelapse is a whole different game. I think I shot between 11,000 and 15,000 stills for this video during 10 days spread over 2 months. (Had to wait for the right weather and my schedule had to allow it.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y-V-TITHQU

Is it snowing? Make a bad The Revenant spoof just for laughs ;)

Look: you say you have a friend who wants to make a feature with you.
What is his role on the team?

My script is a psychological horror thriller, kind of like The Silence of the Lambs or something like that. Actually it's closer to I Saw The Devil (2010) more so. But when it comes to shooting a movie like that, how much would it cost minimum?

It costs whatever your budget is. The quality comes from the caliber of the script, the extensive preproduction, the editing of the script to comply with the budget, the talent and dedication of the cast, crew & post personnel, and, of course, the quality & temperament of the director, not the budget. If your script calls for lots of people in several scenes find a way to trim down the number of extras - or trim the scenes from the script altogether, if possible. You have to learn to kill your babies.

I recently watched "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (1938) with a commentary by film historian Rudy Behlmer. It's fun to hear how the script came about, how scenes were cut or drastically rewritten to comply with the budget, how the director & DP were replaced, how two other name directors shot B-roll and other coverage (as required by their Warner contracts), and lots of other fun & interesting information. What is also fascinating to me as a non-visually oriented person is how, without digital color correction, everything matches up so well. It was also fun when, after describing the numerous locations for the shoot, Behlmer named the locations for each shot in a chase scene: "here we are in Chico, now Calabasas, now the process stage, back to Calabasas, the process stage, Chico, the Warner back lot with a beautiful matte for the castle, the process stageā€¦" etc., etc., etc.; one scene, multiple locations, different directors & DPs and it still all matched up seamlessly! It was also cool when Behlmer pointed out matte shots, and there are a few bits in the extras that show how the mattes were used; sometimes more than half of a shot was a matte.

As for videos I shot without actors, here is a couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DIHgnJEDog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEHf84BCiUw

The second one was not completed cause it was between me and my gf, cause she wanted to do make up tutorials, but we broke up before it was completed, and she didn't want to finish it. I may have enough audio coverage to of her tutorial, to fill in the blanks though, if it's worth completing... if it's worth showing to people. If the first video is worth showing to people, could it use some color grading, since I pretty much shot flat?

It's also worth noting that a feature film is really just a collection of short films that lead into each other. The ability to make a good short film is crucial in order to make a good feature film.

Harmonica.. I was half joking. But the more i think about it the more I think this would be very beneficial to the both of us. I too have a psychological thriller in the works for a June shoot. But let me be upfront I am one of the leads but I have a name (every single person knows this person) attached.
If you were serious about upping your game and really jumping in I would let you do that but I would also hold you accountable. I would make you the Ex. Producer and let you direct a couple of scenes in the movie. Not only that I would have you skyped in during auditions to get your feedback. You would be CC'd on everything with the film and be encouraged to give your input. You would also be at all meetings during the 3 week shoot.

The downside would be I would work ya like anyone else on set.

This would be your filmschool.

You would get major points on the film.

You would also work with a lot of hungry actors and crew that just want to work.

So there you have it. Im coming to you as an investor. But your basically investing in your self.
Here is a trailer from a film I did. https://vimeo.com/193596539?ref=fb-share

Here is my IMDB: I have worked with some cool people. Check out The cast of The UnMiracle, Unicorn Store, Ahhh Roach, etc. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5890659/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

It's also worth noting that a feature film is really just a collection of short films that lead into each other. The ability to make a good short film is crucial in order to make a good feature film.

Okay thanks. However though, the sequences in a feature all continued, where as a short film has to have an ending where everything wraps up, doesn't it?

Harmonica.. I was half joking. But the more i think about it the more I think this would be very beneficial to the both of us. I too have a psychological thriller in the works for a June shoot. But let me be upfront I am one of the leads but I have a name (every single person knows this person) attached.
If you were serious about upping your game and really jumping in I would let you do that but I would also hold you accountable. I would make you the Ex. Producer and let you direct a couple of scenes in the movie. Not only that I would have you skyped in during auditions to get your feedback. You would be CC'd on everything with the film and be encouraged to give your input. You would also be at all meetings during the 3 week shoot.

The downside would be I would work ya like anyone else on set.

This would be your filmschool.

You would get major points on the film.

You would also work with a lot of hungry actors and crew that just want to work.

So there you have it. Im coming to you as an investor. But your basically investing in your self.
Here is a trailer from a film I did. https://vimeo.com/193596539?ref=fb-share

Here is my IMDB: I have worked with some cool people. Check out The cast of The UnMiracle, Unicorn Store, Ahhh Roach, etc. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5890659/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Okay thanks, I will consider the option for sure. Are you the main director of this production as well, or is someone else? When you say every single person knows this person, what do you mean by that?

I think also I may not be advertising myself in the right places. I tried facebook and craigslist all the time, but don't get many responses on those. Is there a better site to to try? I have also gotten some more offers to do other people's projects in the mean time. Should I do them, or do people not care if I have worked as a PSM/boom op, on other people's projects, and they just want to see me direct, if I am to make short films? Should I reject all future boom op opportunities, and just concentrate on directing my own stuff from now on, if I am to get anywhere serious?

Last edited:
Okay thanks. However though, the sequences in a feature all continued, where as a short film has to have an ending where everything wraps up, doesn't it?

In my opinion, in order for a feature to affect an audience, every scene needs it's own tension, it's own arc. Every scene needs to be treated like a short film. Your audience isn't going to care what happens ten minutes from now if they don't care what's happening right now.

That's true, but at the same time, not every scene can stand out on it's own can it? For example, in my script there is a scene where one character blackmails another, into computer hacking into the person's email and banking. But if that scene were just on it's own, we would have no idea who those characters are, or why one is blackmailing the other to do that. So it wouldn't add up on it's own, and the audience would not know why, if that makes sense.

I would do a scene from a feature script I wrote, if I could find a way for it to have a pay off, even though the story wouldn't be finished.

Last edited:
Back