What if filmmaking was affordable to everyone?

As an aside, I often enjoy Uwe Boll films when they're just train-wreck awful. When they're TRYING to be bad (Postal, we're looking at you) they're just annoying.

Id argue that those are the skill most lacking in wannabe filmmakers.. (like me)

Oh, absolutely they are, I wouldn't argue that at all! I've spent some time (not enough yet) trying to really understand how he managed to get started, and in the beginning at least keep the momentum up.

However, he's a great example of the quality of film one could expect if money were no object, which was the OP's question.

CraigL

Filmmaking is affordable to everyone. Not hypothetical. The playing
field is level. Money in not a determining factor in filmmaking.

I do not believe money determines the “merit” of a movie. A creative,
talented person can make a watchable, interesting, compelling feature
length movie for under $500. Why couldn’t they?

I can think of more than a dozen stories I could tell (and tell well)
using only a phone camera (or equivalent) and free editing software.
The “playing field” holds challenges for everyone. How a filmmaker
overcomes those challenges is the determining factor.

An even better question is:
Since filmmaking is affordable to everyone, why aren't there more excellent movies being made?

brillaint question asked in end . . and sadly thats true. the kind of movies get released is clearly the depressing data for any new filmmaker to experiment something fresh further . .

well again i say it boils down to talent and determination, you either have it or you dont, filmmaking is definitly affordable to the normal working person, any cheaper then there would be no point in selling cameras.

some people have great imaginations and can transfer those dreams to film, for some people.. thats all it will ever be.. imagination and dreams.

Back